RG PR1 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

RG PR1

Does anyone know anything about this model? From what I understand, it has the ultra neck, an ebony fretboard and Tone Zone (b) and Air Norton (n). Does anyone know what year(s) it was produced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 04:23 PM

I have two. I think they're both 1999...I'll check when I get home and post if this is incorrect.

Big Al...you out there?...is yours '99?
Greg
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 07:28 PM

The rg pr-2 I have is a 99. mike
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:20 PM

I will check mine tonight but I believe it's a '99.
I love mine...it still takes my breath away every time I open it's case.

Ebony fret board, TZ in the bridge but I'm not sure about the neck pu.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

MusicDr, I bought the RG PR1 off of ebay today. Any idea what the neck pickup is for this model. I'm guessing its the Air norton. I believe the Air Norton looks exactly the same as the Tone Zone.

Does this model have a much more robust sound than the RG3120? I have an RG3120 and am selling it. I figure with an ebony fretboard an Ultra neck, it would delivery a sharper tone.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:49 PM

I'm pretty sure it is an air norton.And congratulations,it's one of the most toneful guitars I have ever had(and you saved me from buying it!).The rg-pr has a more solid feel and sounds a bit better than my 3120s,but every guitar has its place and I still really like the 3120's.The body of the pr seems a bit heavier also,which probably gives it the extra tone.And of course there is the "eye candy factor".The neck is a little chunkier(I remedied that a little).Overall a very killer ax,enjoy! Mike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 10:03 PM

Yep, my rgpr1 is an '99.

Congrats "mpugli" I assume that you won Greg's PR1?

Greg-
Do you have any pictures of your PR2 & 3? I need them for inspiration until I can find a 2&3 to buy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 10:50 PM

Al- Shoot me an email and I'll send some pics your way.
Greg
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. A little more depth in the sound is what I'm looking for, so I'm sure it will be fine. I would love to see pics of the P2 and 3 also. I heard there is a purple version (P2?).

Can you guys fill me in on the wiring for the 5-way switch? I'm guessing its the norm for most prestiges. On the middle position for the RG3120, it uses both the PAF pro and Tone Zone together as humbuckers. If the PR1 can do it, that would be sweet. If not, I'm sure it has plenty to offer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

...and before I forget, are any of you guys interested in an RG3120 TW? Mine was made in 1998. Its in excellent shape. It had 3 nicks on the back (2 were about the size of a matchhead, the other was about 1/2 inch). I had a luthier fill them in. It looks 10 times better. If you looked for them up close, you would find them, but from a distance (2 feet or more) you can't tell. The frets are barely worn and the maple top is sweet. I'm sure you know the pu's, wiring, etc. I haven't determined a price yet, but it will be somewhere in the $650 - 700 range. Let me know if interested.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

The RG PR-1 arrived on Thursday this week. I love it. Man, what a guitar. This is the best Ibanez I have ever had. I love the neck. Its thick, which is hard to find on most Ibanez models. It sounds great.

Only problem I am having now that I own is I can't find a website or anything at all that has any more info about these guitars. I was told there was about 100-150 that were made and they were only sold in Texas. If anyone has a URL, pics, etc they can forward my way, that would be great. My email is [email protected]

Thanks.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:25 PM

Actually according to modern mythology(what I've heard),there were 12 made of each color.They were custom shop made(stamped in neck pocket) and the buyer for GC bought them all(and of course they didn't sell very well,probably why I bought mine(a 99) in july of 2002 from GC well below what they went for in 99).A truly excellent guitar.One of my all time favorites.As far as I know,there is no other info.Another member probably knows more.Enjoy! mike
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Only 12 of each?! Hmm, I suppose that's possible but if Ibanez was intending to sell these models and make a profit from them, I would venture they would make a few hundred at least. Maybe there are a bunch of them overseas in Japan that never made it over here. I heard that there are also only 12 RG Gear models that were made. Maybe its a formula Ibanez uses to "test" a market out.

Thanks for the info, musicdr. Which PR(s) do you have?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:18 AM

The RG-PR2.Purple quilt top,abalone and pearl binding on the body(like jem 10) bound neck and headstock,same as yours spec wise except for cosmo hardware and single(probably blue velvet) in the middle. mike

Tags
air norton , cosmo hardware , custom shop , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , fret board , ibanez models , neck pickup , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode