RG Premium 7-String reviews?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

RG Premium 7-String reviews??

Anybody playing one of these? I've tried the 6-string, and i think its pretty sweet! But, nobody around me has a 7 to try out.

Just looking for some info to help make a decision, i've gotta sell some other axes to make room..

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Re: RG Premium 7-String reviews??

take a look on sevenstring.org plenty of nice pics were take when the first one(s) were bought,just google 7 string premium and sevenstring org if your not part fo the forum, it should point you in the right direction.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 PM

The fit and finish should be the same. Just different pickups, and an extra string.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Here is a little review / comparison (RG827 - RG1527) I posted on the sevenstring forum:

I don't have an RG927, the European version is called RG827, PUs being one difference and fretboard radius another.

At first I thought the Premium is absolutely on par with the Prestige RG1527 (well, apart from minor finish flaws, I had a thread about those on here as well).

I have to say the fretwork is amazing, better than on the Prestiges, since the frets are rounded off on the edges. BUT the frets on the Premium seem to be a bit smaller.
Neck feels great and to me it feels very similar to the RG1527, but the smaller fretboard radius in the Premium bothers me a bit. It becomes noticeable when bending on the high e-string as the note dies off at a certain point due to the smaller fretboard radius (fretboard is a little more round). And I don't even have a very low action on the Premium.
I think the RG927 has the same fretboard radius as the RG1527 (unless there is a mistake on the Ibanez website), so for the American Premium RG7 this won't be an issue.

The PU's are good, but I have to admit I also like the stock PU's on my RG1527s. But again, on the RG927 you will have other (better) PUs.

Playability of the Premium is great, but like I mentioned above, due to the fretboard radius on the RG827 very low action will result in problems when bending high e or b string.

Overall, I have to say for the price paid these are GREAT guitars, but not quite on par with the RG1527 IMO.
When I played my RG827 for a week straight and then went back to my RG1527M I felt a difference and the RG1527 did feel a bit nicer and played a bit better.

The Edge zero II is very good. I have the zero point system installed and the trem is more stiff that way, but I still can do dive's. I can abuse the trem heavily and it stays in tune!
One minor tihng about it is the arm holder screw that let's you adjust how tight/loose the arm stays in position. Well, that screw loosens really quick and you have to re-tighten it often. It will loosen already after getting the bar up or using and pushing it back down so it won't get in the way of the picking hand.

I still have to make proper NGD threads with pics, will do that soon-ish.

I asked my dealer about the minor flaws right after I got the guitars and what bothered me most were tiny dents on the back of the neck of the black RG827. The dents are really tiny and most people would not notice them since they are close to the neck-body joint. The dents can't be seen, but you can feel them when running your fingertip over them slowly. They don't affect playability at all, so I guess it's no big deal, but my dealer gave me a discount, so all is well.

About the finish flaws:
It seems that minor finish flaws are not very uncommon on these Premiums. This is another difference between the Premium and Prestige line.
I have seven Prestige guitars, only one of them came with a flaw (RG1527Z-BK had a tiny dent in the finish) and had to be returned/changed.
On the other hand: I have two Premiums, both of which have minor flaws. But like I said these flaws are so minor, only someone with OCD (like myself) will notice them and be bothered about them....

I hope this helps....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I want one! I need one! I...i... need to sell some other stuff first. Doh!

Tags
premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode