RG prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
RG prestige

I have been looking at my new guitar as a step up from my rg, I was lloking at a jem 555 but was put off it, thenn I thought I'll save up for a LONG time and get a jem7vwh, but then I decided a japanese rg would be almost as good, if not better in some regards.
So today I started looking over the ibanez rg prestige range, and although I'd seen it many times before the RG2550Z in Black caught my eye, and for less than $2000 it looked perfect. I was just wondering if what country it was made in so if anyone could tell me that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by prydogga; 02-24-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG prestige

Prestiges are all made in Japan to my knowledge.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 PM

Japan I believe.

Good choice too.

If you want a funky inlay later on, you could probably get ETguitars to replace the fretboard and put a tree-of-life inlay on there. It'll still probably end up cheaper than a brand new 7VWH here in Aus.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM

only $1000 new. so not even close to 2000...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Ah Wilch I was hoping you would comment, you actually helped me with this decision, so it's japanese that's perfect, What kind of inlay are we talking about here beacuse the sharkfins aren't a problem for me but I wouldn't mind changing the pickguard, it looks a little odd to me but I havn't seen one in the "flesh" so it might be one of those things that looks better up close.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulacy View Post
only $1000 new. so not even close to 2000...
I'm in Aus, it's $1995 at the cheapest I can find online, but I can get it around $1500 at my favourite music store.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh and are the DiMarzios in it passive or active?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 PM

ET has done a few tree-of-life inlays according to their website. (tree-of-life = same as the one on the 7vwh). But it's just more cost to what you're getting, and only adds to the look of the guitar, won't change the way it plays.

The Dimarzio's are passive. I don't think Dimarzio have ever had an active pickup, but I could be wrong.

If you want active-like pickups that are passive get Dimarzio Evo's. High output, and no stupid battery to worry about. But try the ones it comes with before thinking about changing out your pups. No use spending money that you don't have to spend.

I saw one of these at Allans music in Alexandria. Don't know if they still have one in stock. Looked good, even with the standard pickguard. That said, I'd probably change the pickguard to a standard black one, or black mirror.

Just make sure you play one before you buy it, and preferably play one that's actually been setup first (not many stores in Aus set them up before putting them out for display).
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I don't think I'll want to change the pickups until after I've played it, I've used Dimarzio D-Activators which are pickups that they claim to be the closest thing to active pickups without being active and they were great but If I was going to change pickups I'd put an evo in the bridge, and If I got the white version I'd get a black or white pickguard but in the black I'd want the stock pickguard,black mirror or alumini mirror, and the guitar store I'd buy it from has All their display guitars setup so I'll see about playing one in the next few weeks.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 AM

i have that exact guitar but with an edge pro. i wanted to change the pickguard for the longest time, and I still may in the future, but now I don't. it's much darker in person.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Is the edge pro a direct swap for the ez? I've been reading reviews saying the ez is terrible.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 AM

I think in any case that you should go figure by yourself in the nearest shop, if you can.
We read lots of interesting reviews on the net, but they're all subjectives.
Before I bought my RG2450, I already bought Evos and was about to order a special pickguard etc.. Finally, the day I received it I was so stunned by its beauty and direct playability (set up was almost perfect in regards to my tastes, and the pups sounded better than I thought) that there was no need for modding if not just for cosmetic purpose. (whites pups suits it just so well..)

RG2450MZ-GW

And No, you won't swap the EZ for an EP without pain.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah well I was planning to do that anyway, I've been looking at more realistic shots of it and the reddish pickguard seems darker and more suited, as for the trem I don't think I'd need to change it anyway because everyone seems to dislike the ede 3 which I like and the edge zero just looks like a great idea, especially which the way it is kept in place.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Cool guitar!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Japan I believe.

Good choice too.

If you want a funky inlay later on, you could probably get ETguitars to replace the fretboard and put a tree-of-life inlay on there. It'll still probably end up cheaper than a brand new 7VWH here in Aus.
I've talked to Ernie recently and he isn't going to do fretboard replacements anymore (or it will at least cost the amount of new neck). He doesn't want to risk damaging someones neck in the process, and he says he can build a neck to the same specs anyway. Neck with tree of life inlay according to his site is a few hundred bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode