RG questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

RG questions

I finally decided to get my 2nd RG 570. Going back to where I came I guess, its the Wizard neck.
I planned on trading one of my Teles for an RG but then came across a new 570 at Guitar Center for $410. Couldn't resist. Even if it is Sour Apple Sparkle, I don't really care these days.
So, a couple questions:
With the Wizard neck, are Ibanez hardshell cases the only way to go? I guess I'm concerned about the thin neck on it and max support while in transit.
When did they make the changes to the RG line and what was changed? I had an '89 570 for 10 years, the first thing I noticed on the new one were the neck bolts and dulled finish of the back of the neck, which is very nice. Anything else?
Was Sour Apple Sparkle recently discontinued?
The guitar is flawless and plays very well. I can't wait to get it home.

thanks,
js
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 12:36 AM

RG questions

WOW! *$410? *Which GC? *I've wanted to know...is the Sour Apple Sparkle just metallic or is it really a "sparkle" (a la glitter) finish?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

RG questions

Yeah, good deal eh? It was the only one at that price, salesman said its what they paid for it. Don't know if that's exactly true but its gotta be pretty close, I would think. He said the color was discontinued so out it had to go. It is a GC in Tempe, AZ.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 07:58 AM

RG questions

I don't think that Ibanez HSC are the only way to go. *I personally prefer the SKB Deluxe case. *However, if you're looking at resale, of course an OHSC is the way to go. *I don't like the UV1000C cases, they are way too big and way too heavy. *The smaller Ibanez SKB style HSC is my personal favorite.

The Sour Apple finish was just introduced in 2000. *Whether or not it is discountinued should be answered by the recent NAMM show. *Ibanez should have a new catalog out sometime before 2002! *

The new neck joints started appearing in 1991 on some of the USA Custom models, and in subsequent years it became the standard neck joint.

The finish on the back of the neck is subjective. *I can't give you a definitive answer on that, although it seems that 91-94 showed the most significant changes in RG style guitars.

Hope I haven't fed you a bum scoop. *Congrats on the new guitar. *GC did have a great sale this past month - they are blowing out their inventory.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 09:34 AM

RG questions

Sawzall,
* * * * * * $410?! Aaaaaagggghhh. Yeah you got a killer deal. I have the same guitar.

* * * * * * * * Bob, the Sour Apple is just a metallic but it's still a VERY cool finish, IMHO. My bud keeps saying, "You're going to sell me this guitar....You just don't know it yet." LOL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

RG questions

FYI, I cruised by the OTHER Guitar Center in Phoenix today and they do have one of the same 570's in stock. Same price, $410. If anyone's interested. This one is missing a knob and has a few small dings, probably from the usual GC stock abuse. I don't have the number but could probably find it at www.guitarcenter.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:58 PM

RG questions

The standard RG's first saw the AANJ in 94. Case doesn't matter with the neck.
I think the satin necks came out in 98, possibly earlier.

It's kind of weird that something recently discontinued would be at a cheaper price than normal, usually something discontinued will sell for more.

Ooop, I hope I didn't just single handedly boost the prices to $2000 a peice for an SS 570!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 06:16 AM

RG questions

I have SKB Deluxe and I think that it's as good as any ibanez case and in Finland its cheaper so thats a good alternative.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 07:52 AM

RG questions

Aren't the Ibanez plastic hardshell cases actually made by SKB?

Both cases I have are stamped "SKB" on the latches.

J>

Tags
custom models , ibanez hardshell , neck bolts , neck joint , neck joints , standard neck , standard neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode