RG - Roadstar?!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

RG - Roadstar?!?

I was looking at some photos of old Ibanez guitars and I'm getting a bit confused. What is the differance is between the RG guitars and the Roadstar guitars? Or are they the same thing?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:07 AM

Roadstars are the "old version" that had rounded edgest, and the "round" headstock. I believe these were tagged the "RS" series.

They were very stratlike in appearance.

The RG series is the edgier one, sharp everything.

That's the most basic (and only) info I have. I once had a Roadstar that I loved, but thought was "cheap" because the headstock didn't look like Phil Collen's. But it sounded great, had a working trem, had coil-tap etc.

Cheers
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:19 AM

i've got an RS530 Roadstar II, and it's a mind-blowing thing!
it's got an unbelievably smooth and long-sustained sound, 24 frets, 2 EMG-like p-ups, and the Pro Rock'r tremolo (heavier & bulkier than the Edge).
the neck is all painted black, and the body has no forearm contour. one volume knob, coil-tap tone knob and a 3-way Gibson-like selector switch. my bro found it used for about $200 many years ago.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

So which would be the better one to get if you were to buy one, an old roadstar or new RG. I'm not gonna buy one (till I have a JEM) i'm just interested.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:43 PM

I'd buy the RG, simply because it is newer. It also has the AANJ, 24 frets (which I can't play), etc etc.

But, if I had the money to choose between one more expensive guitar (prestiges, or even JEM) OR an RG and an RS together, I'd probably go for the two guitars (both good quality ones). The JEM would simply refuse to be played by me anyway due to utter lack of talent.

This is all personal choice though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

lol, that's why i'm i bit scared of getting a JEM as i'm not that good, I can shred quite fast but it's nothing that amazing. That's why the JEM i've set my heart on is the JEM777vbk (the one that's black with green pick ups), it's not too out in your face, I think if you have one of the swirl JEM's your expected to play something amazing.
The reason why I was asking about the whole RG Vs RS thing is firstly coz I was just interested, and secondly I MIGHT in future get one, but in a crazy color like pink or green.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Oh you're much better than me then.

I imagine that if I ever got myself plugged into an amp, I'd only be able to play one thing well... "feedback"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

lol, we've all been there with old knackered amps, turn the amp on and everyones ear drum with in a mile explodes, mind you makes some music sound better

Tags
ibanez guitars , phil collen , swirl jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode