rg super wizard prob - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

rg super wizard prob

I got an rg550 from 2000 looks brand new and I noticed when I tune it to pitch when I play lightly it isnt in tune..
When I press hard on the frets it goes into tune properly..Will thicker strings maybe solve the problem??? or does it kust need to be played to smooth the frets out a bit???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Re: rg super wizard prob

Are you sure you are in tune?

Pressing hard makes the strings higher in pitch, and as you say, making them in tune. Maybe the intonation is way out of whack. Has it had a set up?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM

New strings?

If so, stretch them a bit up before tuning again.

Old strings?

Replace them, and do as written above
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

They are new but No offense Ive been playing quite a while I know when Im in tune and intonation is fine I have just had this prob with another guitar that was new, it was a 770fm from 2002 and the same thing are the frets a little bigger maybe??
Im used to rg550 wizard necks and never have a problem in 20 yrs..Strange thing..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

AS I asked I use real light strings could that be it???Logically I say no but ya never know...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM

are the 2.5mm allens on the back of the locking nut tight? any slippage from these will cause the guitar to go in and out of tune with the whammy, but also may be relating to the pressure of playing much like a non locking nut that slips back and forth against the nut slots.

rich
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanx man Ill check
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Check if there's tension on your trussrodnut,if this is not the case than fasten it verry gently.Dont overdo it!! a loose trussrodnut could be the case due to wetherchanges,different pressure with other strings, etc.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
Check if there's tension on your trussrodnut,if this is not the case than fasten it verry gently.Dont overdo it!! a loose trussrodnut could be the case due to wetherchanges,different pressure with other strings, etc.
could be, but that is less likely due to the ability to play the guitar. if the truss rod was loose enough to have the nut floating around, the action would be pretty high and the string tension would be pretty stiff as well. looking down the neck will give you a better idea of that. it wouldn't hurt to check the truss rod, but given the cicurmstances don' think that his would be the culprit.

rich
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
could be, but that is less likely due to the ability to play the guitar. if the truss rod was loose enough to have the nut floating around, the action would be pretty high and the string tension would be pretty stiff as well. looking down the neck will give you a better idea of that. it wouldn't hurt to check the truss rod, but given the cicurmstances don' think that his would be the culprit.

rich

The nut shouldn't have to float around with a loose nut,but there could be room for small movement in de neck itself.
And yes,if the string action got higher by this then you need to give more pressure on the strings to hit the frets wich makes it more likely to go out of tune.
A loose nut isnt that loose at all,given that there is around 60 kilograms of pressure on the neck when tuned in E with a ,9 ,42 set of strings.
your nut will never go down or up due to this pressure plus its locked between the fretboard,the strings,and the stringtree.
It can only shift in the width of the neck by bending strings,or come loose with heavy tremolo use.

Tags
rg550 rg 550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode