RG vs RG Prestige - they've got it all 'ass about face' - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

RG vs RG Prestige - they've got it all 'ass about face'

As we say here in England (I live in Italy now most of the time though, LOL)

Versus

Which is the more stunning guitar visually?

Versus

Visable sharkies, swish/tick headstock.

Versus

Mmmmm sky blue... nice colour!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG vs RG Prestige - they've got it all 'ass about face'

Need I go on? .. Well OK, if you insist

versus

One for the road? OK, you've had enough.

To me the RG prestige looks like a faded, middle-aged version of the RG line or the original 80's RGs. Maybe this is meant to reflect the fact that older people, in their late 30s and 40s are more conservative. Y'know how these old folks go from wanting neon to sunburst and flamed tops, same kind of thing. And these old folks can afford a Prestige RG.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 AM

Reviews: 16

Me liking the ones on the right is more about not liking the colors of the regular RG models. White and plain black? Give us some color already. The sky blue is ok, but I'm not a big fan of baby blue. A dark blue, then yea, I'd go for it.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Methinks you may have a point there good Sir!

It irks me somewhat that the RG350 gets a matching headstock when the RG2570 doesn't. What bothers me most of all though is when you have a black headstock on a not quite black guitar (like the Galaxy Black ones) it REALLY shows up that they couldn't be bothered to finish the cosmetics of the guitar properly!!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 AM

I agree with myself on this one. Sharkfin inlays are crap.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 AM

Ones on the left are poor build quality with inferior parts. Good reason the right ones are called prestige. AS I have said before I would rather have a solid player than a flashy guitar anyday.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Ones on the left are poor build quality with inferior parts. Good reason the right ones are called prestige. AS I have said before I would rather have a solid player than a flashy guitar anyday.
But would you rather have a flashy solid player, or an understated solid player? In fact I'll set up a poll for that
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
What bothers me most of all though is when you have a black headstock on a not quite black guitar (like the Galaxy Black ones) it REALLY shows up that they couldn't be bothered to finish the cosmetics of the guitar properly!!!
This is true, although I think they probably could have been bothered to finish the cosmetics properly, only they don't because sticking any Prestige neck with black headstock on any body is easier and cheaper to produce. While this is kind of understandable, does it really work out cheaper in the long run? Maybe not. It's enough to stop some people from buying a guitar altogether, so maybe it doesn't work quite how they think. It works out cheaper initially, but if, at the end of the day, the guitar is unsold then it certainly isn't cheaper. I have noticed plenty of people saying they wouldn't buy X guitar because it doesn't have a matched head, as petty as it seems. Was it Courtney who said (over at the Ibanez board last year) that she wouldn't buy the 2570 unless it came with a silver head? Is this right, Courtney? I seem to remember talking to you about it (and agreeing) in some thread.

The headstock is just one small thing on a huge list of things I'd like to see put right before considering a purchase on any new Ibanez guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
I agree with myself on this one. Sharkfin inlays are crap.
I agree with yourself. They can pretty much ruin a guitar because they instantly classify it as "metal" or "younger person's guitar". Here's a good example. Offset dots would have worked so much better, IMO. Why anyone would buy this over an older (post 1994) RG550 though, I have no idea.

Last edited by Dee; 12-30-2007 at 12:53 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Maybe Im wrong, but I;d take the ones on the right all day over the left on appearance alone
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Dee

I would also. There are things I'd change about all of them, but the Prestige's definitely look better to me overall. The non-Prestige's look like they were built as a joke.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Was it Courtney who said (over at the Ibanez board last year) that she wouldn't buy the 2570 unless it came with a silver head? Is this right, Courtney? I seem to remember talking to you about it (and agreeing) in some thread.

I definitely said something to that effect. I remember having a long conversation about that over there. I did end up buying a 2570 in Vital Silver, but I found one with the matching headstock. I'd love to buy the gold version, and I still may at some point, but I'm still getting used to the idea of a black headstock.

I've got a couple of guitars at home now whose headstocks don't match, but I'd much rather they do match. It's getting to where you can't get an Ibanez with a matching headstock anymore. None of the Prestige models, that I can recall off the top of my head, have matching headstocks.

What I would like to see on the Prestige necks, if they're not going to match the body color, give some extra detail to the headstock. Maybe get alittle more elaborate with the inlay. Maybe have the trussrod cover made out of some special material, engraved, etc. There's alot of things that could be done, but something to make it alittle more special.

Anyways, there's only a few guitars that I like in the lineup for 2008. Actually, one of them happens to be the splatter paint job guitars with the reversed headstock. The only thing that's dragging that guitar down, at least to me, is the wannabe EMG pickups. I'd much rather have plain IBZs in there. It's easy to change them out, but the price difference between this guitar and the same guitar without the reversed headstock is a few hundred, right? Are you paying for that "special" paintjob? Is it the pickups? Both? Just doesn't seem worth it to me. I might see if I can't get one parted out on the bay some time.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 PM

id be more inclined to go for the 'right- hand side' options..they are more my guitar but its not my opinion more yours
influencing my decision is the paint-jobs and severe lack of shark-tooth inlays which im not a huge fan of
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 25

Any one would take the better built guitars, because the colors of both are CRAP, WHEN WILL THEY BLOODY MAKE A NEON BLUE ALREADY.

COMMON IBANEZ NEON BLUE!!!!

can't you tell im stuck in the 80's !!!

I just thought of something, remember those heat colored t-shirts, that changed color when you put your hand on them or something warm.

Imagine a guitar that did the same. now theres an idea!!!

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 12-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Any one would take the better built guitars, because the colors of both are CRAP, WHEN WILL THEY BLOODY MAKE A NEON BLUE ALREADY.

COMMON IBANEZ NEON BLUE!!!!

can't you tell im stuck in the 80's !!!

I just thought of something, remember those heat colored t-shirts, that changed color when you put your hand on them or something warm.

Imagine a guitar that did the same. now theres an idea!!!
I like your thinking! Amazing mock up.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:08 AM

I would love something like this in a Prestige model.

Tags
black headstock , dot inlay , neck thru , paul gilbert , prestige necks , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , sharkfin inlays , trussrod cover , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode