RG vs RG - Why different thickness? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:56 AM

Reviews: 2
RG vs RG

Then my belt buckle might put the trem off pitch not to mention the springs can rip buttons off a good shirt!

Besides I like the action of normal edge trems better, they seem to flutter better. I think Glen mentioned this before.

Plus I've yet to see Joe Satriani play a Lo-pro and if it's good enough for him........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:44 PM

RG vs RG

Just for the record, everything in the 5xx series and above (all lines) are made by Ibanez in Japan. *(as well as 7620 (notice the 6xx series) *Everything 4xx series and below (all lines) are made in Korea by Samick. *(including the 7420 and most/all? of the Ibanez acoustics) *Samick makes guitars for Ibanez, Washburn, Fender, Epiphone, Jackson, Schecter and most everyone else. *The Samick family makes something like 70% of the world's guitars. *Some makers have the necks/bodies shipped back to them and they add hardware and set it up. *I don't know if Ibanez does or not. *The Korean models from all brands are so far away from being consistant it's not even funny. *I don't want to bash them, because there are some fantastic guitars that come out of Korea, but I'ld like to play 6 or 7 of them to pick the best one.
The 5mm difference you have may just be an inconsistancy because they had to sand down a knot in the wood, or it may be intentional. *Who knows.
Hope that helps,
KO
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:56 AM

RG vs RG

The Ibanez RG470 is made in Japan. *I have one, and it says "made in Japan". *The 2001 RG7420's formerly made in Korea, are now being made in Japan. *The S470's, however, are still made in Korea, along with all other lower line RG's. *
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

RG vs RG

Thanx Kyle, I hadn't idea about the Samick thing!

Anyway, I got a 550 (japan) and a 270 (korea), and I would only say that the korean model isn't SO bad!

I obviously replaced the crappy trem w/ a lo-pro edge!

Anyway, the p-ups got tons of harmonics! I have to pay attention while I'm playing! And the neck is very carefully crafted!

I know this may sound strange, but it's true!

Thanx guys

nuno
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:14 PM

RG vs RG

Oh yeah, *When you get a good one, they are good. *I had a Samick made Washburn for about 5 years. *It had a decent Floyd on it and the thinnest, most comfortable neck I've ever played. *After a while it became my project guitar to learn about repair. *I learned a lot of playing/fixing from that axe. *
I've seen some Korean-made guitars that have beter quality to them (build wise) than American-Made. *Actually, has anyone taken a look at the newest US made strats? *Man, my dog could do better fretwork than those have. *It's just like anything else mass-produced. *If you get one that was made on a line where someone didn't give a hoot, you get a piece of garbage. *You get one off a line where everyone cares and you get good workmanship.
I know there are those that will differ, but I think overall the Japaneese have more consistant quality than anyone. *I think it's just the way people are over there.
KO
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

RG vs RG

Right man,
japanese craftmanship is defenitely the best.

You can tell me about PRS and brands like, but no many people can spend $4500 for a handmade guitar.

My korean RG was about $250!!! And it kick-asses!

But dude,
are you serious? Newest US Fenders suck? Damn!
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 10:40 AM

RG vs RG

Unfortunately,
* * Supposedly they made all these changes to the American Standard line this year, so I started considering picking up a strat. *While at Mars one day, I picked one up. *First thing I noticed was the pickguard wasn't on perfectly straight and the screws that hold it on weren't in particularly straight either. *Then I examined the neck. *The frets had been leveled down but not recrowned meaning instant intonation problems and more resistance to bends. *Shotty work, plus the beveled edges on the ends of the frets were actually sharp! *I don't think it could have cut you, but uncomfortable to say the least. *I then look at the hang tag signed by several people responsible for this POS and was feeling slightly embarrased to be American (for only a brief moment) *Hung it up and walked away. *Maybe the Strat Plus and Strat Ultra are built better. *I know the custom shop stuff is, but as you said, then you are talking about SERIOUS money. *I looked at a few Gibsons and thankfully they were much better, still not great fretwork, but acceptable. *I played a RG Prestige for a few minutes to set me straight again
KO
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

RG vs RG

Hehe,
they better to keep their profile lower!

Peoples should stop watching at the headstock logo, or at where the instrument has been made: USA? Japan? Korea? Doesn't matter, if you like it, play it!

Oh, btw, I noticed that most of you put a '$0.02' at the end of a reply: what does it means?
Sorry for my ignorance, since I'm from Italy.

nuno
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 10:41 PM

RG vs RG

I was in Korea for a year 1998-99 and at the local music stores if you wanted a RG550 or above it had to be ordered from Japan or U.S.. They had millions RG470s and below all over Korea. This would lead me to believe that they are, without a doubt, made at two different factories.

I have been there.. trust me,
Rick
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 12:59 AM

RG vs RG

Quote:
Quote: from nuno on 10:01 am on July 4, 2001

Oh, btw, I noticed that most of you put a '$0.02' at the end of a reply: what does it means?
Sorry for my ignorance, since I'm from Italy.

nuno
It is an old expression meaning " Here's my opionion, but it's probably only worth 2 cents to most people" So you have an idea what we think sometimes of our own post, contributing to the group as a whole.

Your vertion Direct translation:

Just my 45 lira *:silly:
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

RG vs RG

Thanx Becalvert, now I know!

45 lira? Hehehe, I think 45 lira are like $0.000000000000000000000002!!!

Italy is a little tiny piece of crap in the world! (But is a beatiful place to live!)

Oops, sorry for going out of topic!

nuno
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

Re: RG vs RG - Why different thickness?

I happen to love the wizard II.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Reviews: 6

Holy old thread resurrection, Batman!
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM

No kidding. What mysterious, cryptic, alien way do people have forum posts sorted where they ever find this stuff? If you're just searching for info on neck thickness, why would you even take the time to respond that way?

Oh well, no harm. We got to see a poster with 4000+ posts look like a n00b circa 2001.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
No kidding. What mysterious, cryptic, alien way do people have forum posts sorted where they ever find this stuff? . . . .
I wondered about this for a while but then I figured it out. At the bottom of each topic page, there are lists of "Similar Threads" or "You may also search for" terms. If you're reading a current thread about, for example, the RG550, and there are more links that interest you, you'll click on those links and read on.

Also, most of the time, I just read the latest posts on the site. Occasionally, I want to research something. When I search for something, the site will give me new and old responses.

In all of these cases, the thread date is easy to overlook. Visually, the posts from ten years ago look the same as today's posts. There's just these little numbers, the dates, to which we have to consciously pay attention.

Just my 45 lira . . .

Peace

Mike
Closed Thread

Tags
custom shop , dave weiner , edge trem , edge trems , hoshino gakki , ibanez acoustic , jem neck , jem neck profile , joe satriani , korean guitar , local music store , music store , neck shape , phil collen , pro edge , strat plus , trem block , trem plate , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode