RG vs RG - Why different thickness? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

RG vs RG - Why different thickness?

Why some RGs are thicker than others?

I've got two of them:

RG550 > 45 mm.
RG270 > 40 mm.

Why?

nuno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 05:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
RG vs RG

Quote:
RG550 > 45 mm.
made in Japan

Quote:
RG270 > 40 mm.
not made in Japan
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:21 PM

RG vs RG

The correct answer is two completely different neck shapes. *The RG5** has a Wizard, while the RG4** (and below) has a Wizard II.

WARNING:The following is not fact, but a personal belief.

You know, I still find it hard to believe that there is a different plant which manufactures essentially the same parts. *How is that cost effective? *Is it really true that there are two seperate plants pumping out 550's and 470's?

There are some obvious differences aside from the neck shape - assembly issues, hardware and electronics. *But aside from that, should we really believe that the bodies and necks are really manufactured in another plant? *

One more point, I know in the Guitar gallery here, it says that the VSK and VDY have Wizard necks, but I've felt both (not measured though) and the neck on those two Jems seem quite a bit smaller than a Wizard. *Which leads me to believe that it is actually a Wizard II neck. *Now, did Ibanez put a Korean neck on a Japanese guitar, or do they put Japanese necks on a Korean guitar? *Either my hands & memory are screwed up or there is some misinformation from Ibanez.

Kathy Lee claimed she didn't know anything about the sweat shops.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:17 PM

RG vs RG

Actually...the Wizard II is thicker than the Wizard.

The Wizard II is closer to the original Jem neck in measurment than the Wizard.

I've played/had all three.

J>
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:20 PM

RG vs RG

It gets even more confusing when you realize that the 400 series like the 470, while closer in specs to the 2 and 3 hundred series is still made in Japan, not Korea
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 08:26 PM

RG vs RG

The new Ibanez site claims that the RG550 has a Wizard II neck... Seems odd that it's the only 5xx that has that neck agains all other's Wizard neck... must be a typing mistake however...
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:15 PM

RG vs RG

Hmm, about having all the bodies made in the same place.. Cort, who I believe makes the Korean RGs, doesn't use the barrel jack on any of their guitars, they always use the 'football' plate and a standard jack.. The Korean RGs all have this plate, and have since they started making them, while the Japanese RGs all have the barrel jack.. It might be something as simple as that, I'm not sure..

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a Korean made guitar with a barrel jack, though the Jem555 probably had one..
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 10:04 PM

RG vs RG

I stand corrected, the Wizard II is 2mm thicker, which would make the VSK and VDY equipped with a Wizard. *This is really weird because I never liked how the neck on the VDY felt, it always felt too thin (I owned one several years ago) but the neck on the RG550's always felt about right. *Maybe I am comparing the radius of a Wizard/WII to the Jem! *:crazy:

Ibanez site does say that the RG550 has a Wizard neck, not a Wizard II.

The 555's have the Jem "angled" barrel.

Maybe there are significant differences that would deem oursourcing more economical......
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 10:38 PM

RG vs RG

a rg550's neck is slightly thicker than a rg570's, or at least my '97 550's neck is thicker than a '99 570's neck i played at a local dealer. or maybe it's in my head because of the different fingerboards and the fact mine had a set of 11's while the 570 had a set of 09's, and it just felt different.

the ibanez site lists it has a wizard, but if you hold the mouse over where it says wizard neck, a sublist comes up giving specs and calling it a wizard II.

(Edited by getthis at 10:39 pm on June 19, 2001)
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:00 AM

Reviews: 5
RG vs RG

OK...
let's see here
there is a Wizard neck profile
there is a Wizard II neck profile
there is a Super-Wizard neck profile
there is a JEM profile

As I understand it-
The Wizard profile is the thinnest, and narrowest of the three. *Very thin and flat

The Wizard II profile is slightly wider at the nut and has a smaller radius than a Wizard.

The JEM neck profile has the same width at the neck as a Wizard II, the same flat D shaped contour as the Wizard II but has a flatter radius.

Newer catalogs also list RG570s with a Super-Wizard neck. *This is just the original Wizard profile with a reinforced Bubinga stripe.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:08 AM

RG vs RG

Nuno-
Specifically which measurement were you asking about?
Greg
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

RG vs RG

DUDES...

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BODY THICKNESS!!!!!

nuno
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
RG vs RG

I could simply be a cost issue. The thinner the body, the less wood they have to buy. When this is multiplied by the number of guitars they churn out then the saving could be deemed by Hoshino Gakki as "significant"!
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:21 AM

RG vs RG

I would guess the reason for the body thickness difference is the same reason the other manufacturers do it - cost. *You can get more guitars with less wood if they're thinner.

As for the neck issue, just forget Ibanez' labels. *Half the time they're wrong. *Look at the RG2020. *They list it as having a Wizard neck. *In fact, it has a much thicker neck...what they call the JCM profile in Japan. *I also noticed on the old 99 website (back when Ibanez actually gave us specs) that although the RG4xx, 3xx, and 2xx were all listed as having Wizard II necks, the dimensions were slightly different (with the 3xx and below being slightly thicker.)
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:00 AM

RG vs RG

That's what I thought, nuno...although maybe you meant cm instead of mm. *It makes sense that cheaper versions (Chinese?) might be for cost savings. *The Chinese Fenders have thinner bodies also. *

Who knows, in 20 years they might be collector items for their light weight and airy tone.
Greg
Closed Thread

Tags
custom shop , dave weiner , edge trem , edge trems , hoshino gakki , ibanez acoustic , jem neck , jem neck profile , joe satriani , korean guitar , local music store , music store , neck shape , phil collen , pro edge , strat plus , trem block , trem plate , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode