RG Wave - Old News? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

RG Wave - Old News?

I don't know if this is old news, but I got a pic of an RG "Wave" while at the Guitar Gallery at Disney. *Just got home and had to share the pic. *

It's kind of weird looking, but it's growing on me. *The specs are as yet unknown to me, but the top is carved out in the shapes of the waves.

RG Wave

BTW, as has been done many times before, I had to set them straight - there is more than one RG Gear in the world! *(they claim only one in the world made exclusively for them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:46 AM
deleted username

RG Wave

Yup...that's the "Tsunami" J-Custom. *Sweet carving job, eh? *
Pickup configuration is probably: *ToneZone, Blue Velvet and Air Norton.

Guitar Gallery is generally full of sh!t. *And I'm not only talking about their prices. *:biggrin: *
They don't even have the decency to call people back who leave voicemails for the owner. *Disappointing.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 02:31 AM

Reviews: 2
RG Wave

Asbestos suit secure.

That tidal wave guitar is horible. Yuck!!

7 Balaneese godeses of plenty may have carved the top with their fingernails or whatever (reflected in the price no doubt) but it's still an ugly paint job.

The last time, I dared make a statement that the Rg-Egypt was unexceptional and only a few aggreed but THAT is hideous.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 02:48 AM
Vendor

RG Wave

That's actually based on a very famous woodblock print titled, duh, The Wave. Subject matter was the Tsunami that killed 10's of thousands of Japaneese in the early 1800's. Can't remeber the artists name, but I'm guessing Eiraku?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 06:56 PM

RG Wave

I kinda like it. Not sure if it's because of the carving or the satin lo-pro.... either way it's still pretty cool.

Alden
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:04 PM

RG Wave

I've got to go with Pablo on this. That guitar looks very ugly in that picture. Is this one of those guitars that looks better in person?

Rick
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
RG Wave

Quote:
Is this one of those guitars that looks better in person?
i'd bet against it ...glen
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

RG Wave

First impressions are bad. *I had to go back twice to start to like the way it looks. *I am not crazy about it, but it is rather unique. *But then again, I don't like the RG Gold or the RG Egypt. *

I didn't get a pic of the headstock, but it was unique too, the Ibanez logo was also carved out and raised from the headstock.

They really know how to setup a guitar - for some reason they decided to put 10's on it without setting it up. *:sarcasm: *So from a playing standpoint, I couldn't even comment - it was unplayable.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:51 PM
Vendor

RG Wave

It's supposed to be viewed in the vertical of course, looks strange horizontal.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 12:02 AM

RG Wave

That axe has been there since they opened in 97...... and yes, the store is full of ****......I've been saying that here since 97!!!!! If I remember correct, the price on it was around $3500. And Rich's point on how its to be viewed.......why do they do this? Think about it, as much as I would pay/kill/donate organs(ok, so I'm going overboard) for the RG- Egypt.....it suffers from this horizontal/vertical syndrome......as does the K-7.....which I have NO desire to own. Why put a logo/design on a guitar that will only be viewed properly sitting on a stand??
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 12:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
RG Wave

Quote:
Why put a logo/design on a guitar that will only be viewed properly sitting on a stand??
Good question. Maybe the target audience for the JCs is collector's who won't play them. These figured to be hanging or on a stand. The K7 logo makes as much sense as the popularity of that band to begin with ... glen
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 10:35 PM

RG Wave

I've seen the Tsunami up close when I went to Orlando last time. *The wood carving is rather rough and if you think RG-GEAR will give you indentations on your right arm is bad, this is probably worse.

GG hangs that guitar on the store window which is subject to direct sunlight during certain hours of the day. *Talk about full of sh!t. :sarcasm:

For some reason, if this was not "specifically made for GG" I would not have such a disappointed feeling about it.

Is the Tsunami listed in any J-custom catalog or is it just a one-time thing built to GG's request?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 11:50 AM

RG Wave

i think the tsunami has an interesting carved top..but the drawback is probably the finish that looks abit rough and uneven?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

RG Wave

Not really rough - it's supposed to be a 3D finish - it's carved.

The rest of the guitar is a matte black.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:25 PM

RG Wave

It's probably meant for viewing behind a glass cabinet so you can't even check the rough carving. Oh, btw, has anybody seen that PRS that was on their website a while ago with the carved eagle on the body? Now THAT was UGLY.

Tags
air norton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode