RG1077XL finish. Here's a pic... - As some of you were wonde - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

RG1077XL finish. Here's a pic... - As some of you were wonde

Here it is, and that's what it looks like next to a regular sized JPM... As you can see, it's quite a bit bigger than usual... :biggrin:

Enjoy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:22 PM

RG1077XL finish. Here's a pic...

That model has been trying it’s best to seduce me. It’s wearing me down… The long scale, the binding, the pointy headstock…

Can you tell us how the longer scale affects the tone and sustain.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:02 PM

Is the XL neck easy to play in standard tuning (without considering the bigger stretches)?
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

In terms of long scales and tone, the XL is a beauty... The extended scale allows you to have tighter string tension than usual on all strings (imagine a less floppy low-B), and as far as I can tell, it's got amazing sustain, but I'm not sure if that's due to the longer (and bigger) neck. However, the guitar IS heavier in weight than normal, so that might be the factor.

Bob, you're fighting a losing battle... go get it... :biggrin:

In standard tuning, (which is what I've tuned it to), playing it is almost like playing a normal 25.5" scale, except for the extra stretching... (which does take some getting used to). However, once you're used to this, your usual guitar will feel a tad small for your hands... :biggrin:
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes... the tone... :biggrin: sorry. I forgot. the low notes and overall has a much more punchy tone to it, and more low-end freqs to them... If it wasn't for the long scale, I'd never have bought this... (Although the binding does make it look damn cool :biggrin:!) I guess the long scale made the tone sound fuller, tighter and punchier, which made me like it right off... I've never heard another 7 string like this... not even the Universe I tried sounds this good... :biggrin:
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 04:37 AM

Bob,

That XL was made for you. It will look like a normal size guitar when you hold it.

Rick
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 09:03 AM

The guitar was shipped tuned to A, right? Did the neck held on well when you tuned to B? Did it need adjusting? Do you consider it stable and not prone to neck problems when playing in standard tuning through the years?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 10:50 AM

I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those! *Very nice!

WOOHOO! *I'M OFFICIALLY A JUNIOR MEMBER NOW! *Life is good!

(Edited by revsharp777 at 7:51 am on June 8, 2001)
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from Mirrored CAT on 9:03 am on June 8, 2001
The guitar was shipped tuned to A, right? Did the neck held on well when you tuned to B? Did it need adjusting? Do you consider it stable and not prone to neck problems when playing in standard tuning through the years?
Well, considering the Wizard neck has 2 truss rods (one adjustable + 1 fixed stabilizer) and the much touted Bubinga Strip, I think it should be quite alright. The guitar came with a slight backbow to the neck, but it's ok, and the strings are now with tighter tension. The bridge had to be reset though... I had to screw the springs in further to accommodate for the B-tuning... But the guitar feels great, and the action is incredibly low... (although I raised it for my own comfort)

I am worried about the extra tension causing the neck to warp in the future, especially in Singapore where the humidity is 80%. But Rich Harris has assured me that things should be fine, and the tension wouldn't cause extra problems... The humidity would kill it 1st... so I'm going to construct a small partition in my house, and stuff the guitars in there with a de-humidifier...
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the information on this particular model. Since it's new it's sometimes hard to get opinions. I'm in need of a 7 string and I got stuck between the RG1077XL and the UV777BK, and I still haven't got the chance to try neither one.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 01:55 PM

I think you'll be quite happy with either.

Have you had a chance to try any seven yet? I don't think the adjustment is that big of a deal, but you might want to play some before you make a substantial purchase.
Best of luck.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 05:31 PM

I have already tried an UV777BK, to see if I could cope with the widder neck. I have long thin fingers, and I didn't have any trouble playing that neck. I found it rather comfortable. It's just that I'm not sure of the difference in feel between a 25.5 and a 27 scale, since I use standard tuning.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 04:55 AM

We can clearly see the differance between the 1077XL and the JPM regarding length, but how much differance is there between the 1077XL and 'regular' seven strings like the RG7-620? - off course there is the longer scale - but I'm talking about overall length.

The specs of this guitar here on jemsite say that the case is an UV1000C. Is this the same case as for the UV777BK? *If so, can I conclude that the 1077XL has the same overall length as an UV777BK? Or am I completely wrong?

If this is the case, The only reason I can think of, is that the trem has to be placed more backwards on the body.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Joten
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 10:20 AM

Overall length isn't much different- they both fit in the same case. Some of the added scale is due to the bridge being pushed back closer to the edge of the body.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 08:30 PM

Do the pickups maintain their positions in the body?

Tags
bob oakman , pointy headstock , string guitars , string tension , texas prestige , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode