RG1077XL -- white or creme binding? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

RG1077XL -- white or creme binding?

Simple question... I just got a good deal on a near-mint 1077, and was thinking about ordering replacement pickups (likely Air Norton 7, Blaze Custom). Was wondering... is the binding on the 1077 white or creme? (it's hard to tell from the pictures) I think it would look killer with matching white/creme pickups.

Another question, perhaps, if if anybody's changed the pickups in their 1077, what did you change them to?

Thanks,
--Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:56 PM

The ones i've seen have had white binding, but those have been spanky-new ones hanging in stores.

As with most guitars, the clearcoat could gradually yellow over time given the guitar's exposure to sunlight, fluorescent lighting or smoke.

I think you'd be safe ordering white pickups, as DiMarzio's cream colour is VERY cream. You could always wait for it to arrive or go the less expensive route of using bobbin toppers. Hey, has anybody ever done white/cream zebra combos?

The 1077 with white pickups looks absolutely killer. Congrats!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 02:30 PM

My '01 1077 has white binding. I wouldn't replace the pickups, but now that you mention it, matching them to the binding would create a killer look (kind of PGM90th-ish )
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 04:49 PM

Imagine Abalone-colored pups
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 05:19 AM

On my brand new RG2077XL (yes, it really does exist! )
they seem to have used two different colours:

white for the neck
cream for the body

So they either used different materials or its due to the clearcoat
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I think you'd be safe ordering white pickups, as DiMarzio's cream colour is VERY cream. You could always wait for it to arrive or go the less expensive route of using bobbin toppers.
Good point... I have cream Dimarzios in my RGPR1, and they're a lot more cream-colored than the binding on any of my guitars. So I'll probably wait for it to arrive first just to be safe, but it sounds like white pickups will be the way to go.

I thought about bobbin toppers, but since getting new pickups is already on the agenda, I figured I might as well just order 'em in the color I want. Not that the New/Custom 7 pickups are bad, but the Air Norton/Blaze Custom combo is killer!

--B
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 PM

I have a black RG1077XL. The binding is white. The stock Dimarzio pickups are pretty good. Definitely play it as is first and see where it leads you. Since its a huge guitar it already has a very big sound to it. I don't think I would go for pickups with much more output, maybe something with more mids so the sound isnt overkill, IMHO.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Woo hoo! My 1077 arrived yesterday and I've had a little time to put it through its paces. The look, feel, and quality is everything I've come to expect from the Ibanez Prestige series. I'd give the stock pickups about a 8.5/10 overall--they have decent warmth and great versatility with the HSH configuration, but I just find them a little lacking in character. I feel like they're on the threshold of muddiness, if there is such a thing.

So anyway, tonight I ordered a new set of Dimarzios for the 1077. I got an Air Norton 7, Blaze Single, and Blaze Custom (which I know is a pretty hot pickup, but it's also a little more balanced than a lot of the other Dimarzio 7-string humbuckers). And, of course, I got the pickups in white!

I'll post some pics of the guitar when I get the new pickups and get 'em installed. Now I just need to hunt me down some white knobs & a white switch tip!

--B
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:06 AM

I'd love to see pics when it's done - nice deal you got on that BTW!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 05:27 PM

You DEFINITELY have to update us fellow RG1077XL owners on the sound of your model with the new pickups. Sometimes I notice a loss of tight crunch on the low-B string and I use a 4X12 Mesa Boogie live.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Well crap! Turns out that Blazes are the only 7-string pickups that come in all the different colors... the newer 7-string pickups (AN, TZ, PAF) only come in black, creme, and zebra. So looks like I'll be going with a Blaze Custom and Blaze NECK (just so I can keep the all-white theme). That's still a pretty killer pickup combination anyway, so I really can't complain, but I was just excited to get a chance to try the AN 7.

--B
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:43 PM

Is that direct from DiMarzio? That must be something new... how do you explain the green/gray PAF7s on the 7620 somebody here is selling?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

I didn't really push the issue much... the person who ordered 'em from Dimarzio for me said they only came in a few colors, which seems consistent with the Dimarzio website now that I read it:

Quote:
Seven-string pickups are available black, creme or black & creme. Certain seven-string models are also available in other colors. Please call for availability.
Apparently the Blaze pickups are one of the "certain seven-string models" and the AN 7 is not. Nothin' like keeping it vague! Perhaps, with enough harassment, Dimarzio will make you whatever you want.

--B
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Woo hoo... just got the Blaze pickups installed in the 1077 last night. It's a great pickup combination... the Blaze neck is warm & smooth, great for soloing. The Blaze Custom in the bridge brings a lot of chunk, certainly clearer/less mushy than the stock pickups. I like having the extra mids, since I tend to use Mesa amps and run them relatively scooped (scooped pickups and scooped amps are a great way to completely disappear from the mix). I'm really impressed with the Blaze single... for a Dimarzio single coil, it's got a respectable output level, and balances really well with the humbuckers. The 3 split positions are all distinctive and sound great clean. (for the record, I'm tuned ADADGBE, may retune AEADGBE later)

Just picked up some white knobs/switch tips at Sam Ash on my lunch break today, so when I get home I should be able to get 'em installed and snap a couple pictures. It kinda looks like a poor-man's PGM-90 7-string as is. If I'm feeling really motivated, I might even record some demo MP3's (I only had time to jam with it through the Mark IV last night... I'm looking forward to turning it loose with the Triaxis/2:90/G-Flex setup).

--B
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 02:39 PM

Very interesting! I wanna see those pics. I might blatantly copy your idea

Tags
air norton , blaze neck , blaze pickups , bobbin toppers , darren wilson , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , mesa amps , mesa boogie , pickup combination , sam ash , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode