RG1527 and APEX2 sound issues - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
HoP

RG1527 and APEX2 sound issues

OK, so ive been playing a RG1527 for like 6 years, I swapped the pups out for a PAF7 in bridge, and a Blaze7 in neck. I decided to purchase a APEX2 for a backup guitar, and I was baffled that... these guitars sound completely different.. ive got the same pups in bridge position and just cannot get the same sound. (and yes they are wired correctly) so my question is... could it be the pots are that different that it would effect the sound? my 1527 has more sustain and it more "metal" and smooth then my APEX2, which sounds great.. but not alot of sustain... and i guess just way to "korny" for me lol. but its just too different for me.. I need my APEX2 to sound like my 1527.. any ideas?? im trying to figure out how these guitars with same PUPS can sound so different.. only thing I can think of is pots.. but I didnt think pots had a huge influence on sound.

thanks for ANY help!

-Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: RG1527 and APEX2 sound issues

The RG1527 is made of basswood and has a trem.
The Apex2 is made of mahogany and is fixed bridge.
I'm not sure these guitars will sound the same with the same pickups. You might need to go with a D Activator? I'm not sure. Typically one goes for different wood deliberately to get a different sound.
Also, I think logically the Apex2 would have more sustain being a fixed bridge guitar. I'd check the setup.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
HoP

Actually after looking at the two... I realized their wiring is going to be completely different since the APEX2 is using a 3 way, and the 1527 is a 5 way. (both using dual buckers obviously) im wondering if I swap the 3 way out for a 5 way if the wiring would make a difference in PUP sound. unfortunately I dont know a whole lot about wiring, the wiring I have done has just been following diagrams.. if anyone with wiring exp could help out here that would be awesome!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM

Reviews: 11

different wood type and different guitar options (fixed bridge vs. trem). the 2 guitars will probably never sound the same. its all about the wood and really has nothing to do with your blade switch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 AM

switch only matters in position 2 and 4 on the 1527 . Its the wood and the bridge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 AM

I have heard that active EMG's sound basically the same no matter what kind of guitar you put them in. You can also try putting some brighter sounding pickups in the Apex to balance out the mahogany. Really though, with having different body woods, they'll never sound same.

There's got to be something with how the Apex is setup that's affecting your sustain. It should definitely have more than the 1527 in my opinion. Give it a little more neck relief, see how the sustain improves.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
HoP

Linkage, the reason I felt it was an electrical/wiring issue was because I can physically see my strings sustaining on the APEX2, but its like the pups are cutting short, sounds like they just dont have as much "drive" and "hotness" of my 1527. I never thought that body wood has THIS much effect on sound.

thanks for all the replys guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode