RG1527 one or two stripes of neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

RG1527 one or two stripes of neck?

Hello all,

is there anybody who played both versions? Realized now there is a version with two stripes at neck's back (wenge?) and with one bigger stripe (bubinga). Any difference in quality, durability? Are those two necks of same profile, width? Also I would like to ask, if there is some option to get 1527M nowadays, but not for a fortune. Thinking about changing my trusty rg550 for seven string and 1527 should be pretty optimal guitar I think, but dunno which one should I choose (not having experience with Edge Pro though). Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Re: RG1527 one or two stripes of neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakizashis View Post
Hello all,

is there anybody who played both versions? Realized now there is a version with two stripes at neck's back (wenge?) and with one bigger stripe (bubinga). Any difference in quality, durability? Are those two necks of same profile, width? Also I would like to ask, if there is some option to get 1527M nowadays, but not for a fortune. Thinking about changing my trusty rg550 for seven string and 1527 should be pretty optimal guitar I think, but dunno which one should I choose (not having experience with Edge Pro though). Thanks guys.
550 is a great guitar - do you really have to change it for a 7 string or is there any way in which you can keep it and buy a 7 separately?

As for the neck material, which year model are you looking at? They changed from 3 piece maple/bubinga to 5 piece maple/wenge in 2005...
Check this out: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG1527

A 3 piece neck feels terrific but a 5 piece feels amazing - especially if it's Prestige Team J. Craft made. Tonal differences are a given depending on the material as well. As a guy with a lot of experience in Edge Pro I'll tell you its a fantastic bridge! If you play lead in addition to rhythm then a floating bridge like that can give your sound quite a kick with all the trem effects it offers.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi RolanThunder,

thanks for the info. Well, idea was to sell mine two guitars to get that seven stringer and no thought about going down with quality (Warbeast WMD is out of house, but was thinking about that 550 as well). Friend of mine has 1527 with those two wenge stripes and by J.Craft and when I hold that, I am surprised it was so comfortable and practically same feel as with my RG550. Only thing I miss is maple fingerbord. I really love maple and ebony, but 1527M was only for USA, I think. I am from Europe of course.

Last edited by Wakizashis; 09-08-2014 at 01:19 PM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Hi RolanThunder,

thanks for the info. Well, idea was to sell mine two guitars to get that seven stringer and no thought about going down with quality (Warbeast WM is out of house, but was thinking about that 550 as well). Friend of mine has 1527 with those two wenge stripes and by J.Craft and when I hold that, I am surprised it was so comfortable and practically same feel as with my RG550. Only thing I miss is maple fingerbord. I really love maple and ebony, but 1527M was only for USA, I think. I am from Europe of course.
Oh I see Wakizshi

I reckon you will REALLY enjoy the 1527. If I were to choose, I might take the Wenge neck version since it intrigues me but, it would be best for me to try both bubinga and wenge versions before deciding...

Maple is great - I want to get a guitar with maple fingerboard one day. Maybe even a limited edition RGR465M I see for sale second hand here in South Africa
Have you considered any other 7's - Iron Label, S versions, RGD Prestige or signatures? I know it all depends on budget of course.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

I really like the UV70P, but 1) it cannot be get here second hand 2)new is very expensive and probably 2x more than used RG1527. Iron Label seems to be bit meh, but new surely too expensive as well. Have probably to watch and wait for wenged striped 1527, I guess.

Last edited by Wakizashis; 09-08-2014 at 02:54 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Reviews: 2

This may or may not help. There is no "Team J-craft"....... there never was (or there always was if you want to call fugijen "Team J-craft)

"Team J-craft" is just a sticker. The necks are/were made by the exact same Fujigen employees that they always were and still are made by.

The 1527 is a phenomenal instrument if it's been cared for and set up properly. To save a little money- you could look for an RG7620. It's the same guitar as the 1527, but has a Lo-Pro and better pickups. The new RG7420 is also a rock solid instrument that can be bought for a VERY fair price.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I really like the UV70P, but 1) it cannot be get here second hand 2)new is very expensive and probably 2x more than used RG1527. Iron Label seems to be bit meh, but new surely too expensive as well. Have probably to watch and wait for wenged striped 1527, I guess.
Hi

I love the UV70P - amazing guitar! I'd love to have it. Yes it is pricey brand new (but worth it) and second hand probably costs more than the 1527 almost anywhere. Yeah, Iron Label is cool but, I also found that it's not better than certain standard models. Did you look around for RG7421, K7 or any other 7's?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
This may or may not help. There is no "Team J-craft"....... there never was (or there always was if you want to call fugijen "Team J-craft)

"Team J-craft" is just a sticker. The necks are/were made by the exact same Fujigen employees that they always were and still are made by.

The 1527 is a phenomenal instrument if it's been cared for and set up properly. To save a little money- you could look for an RG7620. It's the same guitar as the 1527, but has a Lo-Pro and better pickups. The new RG7420 is also a rock solid instrument that can be bought for a VERY fair price.
The first I hear of this about Team J.Craft... are you sure about this mate? They're a team dedicated to Prestige, JC and certain signature models (JEM, JS, K7, etc).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
The first I hear of this about Team J.Craft... are you sure about this mate? They're a team dedicated to Prestige, JC and certain signature models (JEM, JS, K7, etc).
No.... I'm certain.

The guitars you've named are all of the guitars made in Japan at Fuji. I guess in a sense Fujigen could be called "Team J-craft", but that would really screw things up for their own house brand guitars FGN.

In reality- "Team J-Craft" was nothing more than a marketing ploy that only lasted a couple of years. I think it ended in 2010..... but it could have been later. The guitars since the "TJC" crap have not really changed at all- some got better, some got worse. The main thing is that they lost the goofy "TJC" sticker.

The TJC cases are pretty nice though........

FWIW..... I have two TJC guitars. My '02, non-TJC, Prestige is a far better built guitar.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
No.... I'm certain.

The guitars you've named are all of the guitars made in Japan at Fuji. I guess in a sense Fujigen could be called "Team J-craft", but that would really screw things up for their own house brand guitars FGN.

In reality- "Team J-Craft" was nothing more than a marketing ploy that only lasted a couple of years. I think it ended in 2010..... but it could have been later. The guitars since the "TJC" crap have not really changed at all- some got better, some got worse. The main thing is that they lost the goofy "TJC" sticker.

FWIW..... I have two TJC guitars. My '02, non-TJC, Prestige is a far better built guitar.
"TJC" and the word "crap" don't belong in the same sentence. Before 2004, not all Prestige models were made in Japan - some were actually made in Korea (or Indonesia) as I've read online. From 2004 onwards, Ibby inaugurated their elite "TJC" and from then on, ALL Prestige models are exclusively MIJ by their capable hands I've got a non-Prestige MIJ limited edition RG470FM finished in Sapphire made at Fujigen and it is great too

I'll check out the back of any 2010 Prestige model I can get my hands on to see what you mean about the TJC stamp of approval...

Of course, the deluxe TJC cases are beautiful and really plush inside!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they are!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
"TJC" and the word "crap" don't belong in the same sentence. Before 2004, not all Prestige models were made in Japan - some were actually made in Korea (or Indonesia) as I've read online. From 2004 onwards, Ibby inaugurated their elite "TJC" and from then on, ALL Prestige models are exclusively MIJ by their capable hands I've got a non-Prestige MIJ limited edition RG470FM finished in Sapphire made at Fujigen and it is great too

I'll check out the back of any 2010 Prestige model I can get my hands on to see what you mean about the TJC stamp of approval...

Dude, whoever gave you this line is WAY off base. I highly suggest you stop relying on them for information. The only prestige guitars ever made outside japan were some of the S-series and it's brothers (SZ,SZR,SV?) and I think maybe some Artist models. There was never an elite team of builders putting together the prestige guitars......EVER. The "TJC" guitars were made by the EXACT same builders as those that brought us all of the MIJ Ibanez guitars previously. They NEVER called themselves "Team J-craft" They were Fujigen employees (not Ibanez employees).....nothing more, nothing less. You are aware that Ibanez doesn't even make guitars, right?

"Team J-craft" was a marketing scheme employed by our beloved Ibanez as a cheap way to sell more guitars. It added up to nothing more than a sticker on the headstock and a nice case......that's it. Look man, I love Ibanez more than most people. Why would I make up a story like this about my favorite guitars? If you don't believe me, ask someone on the inside........Rich?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 PM

OK, I have to correct myself. I think Ibanez actually owns all or part of the Indonesian plant so yes, they DO make guitars now...... but only since 2010.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Vendor

TJC marketing started in 2005, at the same time still making Prestige S's in Korea. That was the year everything built in Japan was Prestige badged, but not everything Prestige was Japan. TJC essentially means Made In Japan. No Fender guitars were branded TJC and were made by the same hands on the same lines.

Ibanez is a partial owner with Cort in the Cort Indo plant, the first venture into production line ownership for the company.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 AM

What do you know....a 2010 prestige with no TJC sticker.

FWIW.... I didn't mean the prestige guitars were crap....... the stupid sticker was. I'm glad it's gone, now if we can just get rid of the idiotic "RoHS" stickers........

Tags
rg1527 neck bubinga wenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode