rg1527 seven string question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

rg1527 seven string question

My budget has recently grown to $600 dollars and I'm thinking about buying this guitar. I actually would prefer a 6 string guitar over a 7 but this is the cheapest prestige I could get at a certain website. The reason why I could only get it from this website exclusively is because this is the only way that I could afford a guitar since this is the only place that will allow me to make monthly payments for 12 months without intress. I would rather have an rg1570 but for some reason the rg1527 is much cheaper. I don't really need the 7th string so I'm wondering if it's hard to play 6 strings songs on a 7 string guitar. For example playing a metal song tha requires the use of the open low e string alot. Would it be alot of trouble to play a song like that on a 7 string guitar? Is it much harder to wrap you hand around the neck like a baseball bat because I have a tendency to do this while soloing? I also wan't to know how the transition from a 6 string guitar to a 7 string guitar felt when you swithched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:25 AM

Re: rg1527 seven string question

I wouldn't suggest buying a 7 if you've never tried one out before... especially if you're financing it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

There isn't a store nearby where I can try it out. I could return in if I don't like it though. I'm just want to know your opinions on this stuff before I officially decide to buy it. My only other options would be one of the rg3**s. I'm just a bit worried about the stability of the korean trems.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 04:20 AM

If you don't really want a 7string, don't get one without checking out one 1st, if not at a music store, at a buddies. They aren't hard to play 6 string parts, it does however a take a little getting used to at 1st. I love my 7 string and am glad I have it, but I wanted one when I got it.

FYI "korean trems" Ibanez uses the same trems on all their guitars. Different models have different trems, but nothing different than the Jap ones. An "egde pro" on a Korean guitar is the same "edge pro" that is used on Jap guitars. The difference with Korean guitars are mainly the workmanship and finish. I have two Korean made Ibanez and they are wonderful. Only one has slight finish issues. I believe the quality is getting better from Korea, but still not up to the Jap quality.

Sometimes it's best to wait a little longer to get what you really want.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN
If you don't really want a 7string, don't get one without checking out one 1st, if not at a music store, at a buddies. They aren't hard to play 6 string parts, it does however a take a little getting used to at 1st. I love my 7 string and am glad I have it, but I wanted one when I got it.

FYI "korean trems" Ibanez uses the same trems on all their guitars. Different models have different trems, but nothing different than the Jap ones. An "egde pro" on a Korean guitar is the same "edge pro" that is used on Jap guitars. The difference with Korean guitars are mainly the workmanship and finish. I have two Korean made Ibanez and they are wonderful. Only one has slight finish issues. I believe the quality is getting better from Korea, but still not up to the Jap quality.

Sometimes it's best to wait a little longer to get what you really want.
Ibanez uses Edge Pro II and III on their Korean made guitars (the ones with trems of course). The differences between the trems is the quality of the metal used. Read the tech section at ibanezrules.com

Regards

André

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:24 AM

Contrary to what I thought, the transition is not easy. I was of the opinion that the more studied a guitarist one is, the more easily the transition would be.

Wrong.

That seventh string and wider neck require a paradigm shift. My goal has been to avoid the bang-on-the-low-string motif all to common to extended range guitarists. The low B (or whatever you tune #7 to) needs to be incorporated into your playing in more ways than a simple new "low" to use. Chords must be phrased differently, if you're prone to hooking the thumb on a six, doing it on a seven can be precarious at best.

That said, the 7's make for an interesting challenge. Once you have one, you won't want to be without one again, but I would not suggest it for your primary player if you're not willing to rewind to your earlier days of playing and practice to get up to speed with it. Personally, since you're wishy-washy on the 7-string anyway, my advice is to save a few more bucks, wait a little longer, and order a 1570.

-R
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Thumbs up Re: rg1527 seven string question ---- I own the guitar. READ HERE!!

Ok, guys...

Hi to all (this is my very first posting)...i own the RG 1527CB (The purple colored one) so I can speak properly about this guitar...

Ok, it's a 7-stringer....and it's a Prestige...let me tell you all that this guitar really rocks...really rocks....it has a strong tone character, and the neck...it's not your typical wizard neck...it's beefier than most ibanez neck, thus offering a lot more definition and SUSTAIN...once you hit a chord in that guitar, you can hear ALL the different notes you're playing in the chord...and that's fantastic...regarding if it's difficult to play because of the 7th string...it's just a matter of getting used to it...this is my first 7-stringer, and i bought it for 2 reasons: I wanted to have a 7-stringer and couldn't aim for the UV...and second, i wanted a guitar with a floating tremelo, be it a seven or six string guitar...my last reason to buy this really great guitar is...currently, i'm listening to Adagio (Great prog metal band) and their guitarist uses 7 strings only...

The tremolo on this guitar really rocks...it has the lowest profile available and tons of great features...it has a noticeable improvement...the stock pickups are nice too...not too hot, but they're very versatile...nice pickup combinations offer great tones...you have it all with this guitar...from classic shred tones to vintage Strat tones with the flick of a switch

If you buy the guitar, pal (JEBUS read here, please)....you'll me MORE THAN HAPPY with it...you'll have a really, really great axe...you'll fall in love with it...play it constantly for a week, and you'll get the vibe for a 7-stringer...it's not as hard as it looks...the fretboard i just wide enough to fit the 7th string, so playing the guitar it's not hard...you'll get confused at first (we're all used to 6-stringers) but we guitarists tend to practice everything till we get a grip of things...

Word of caution: If you're buying the guitar after reading this, be sure to look for the RG 1527CB (the cobalt blue model, the 2004-2003 model)...this year's model looks soooooooooooooooo ***-ish...but still looks cool...it's royal blue...it's ok.

hope this help, guys...

David
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:05 PM

Well there goes a car in the crowds........

Buying 7 string guitar on down payment without knowing exactly what you want is accident waiting to happen...

Why don't you go to decent guitar store in your neighbor hood and check out some 6 and 7 strings.........Do little testing here....little sniffing there...and in mean time save some more so you can actually "BUY" the guitar you want.

I once spend a whole day in Tommy Lee's guitar store in Hong Kong.....just testing out every kind of guitar I could lay my hands on. I was like kid in candy store.....but at end of day I knew exactly what I wanted and why.

And from what I hear so far a nice RG 2550 (or similar) could be nice candidate for you. Check in to Evil-bay too, as they sometimes pup up there (for $375-$475).

Good luck!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everybody but I was able to solve my problem. The rg1570 was priced 750 and i was able to get them to lower the price to 500
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:38 AM

I own the RG1570. I was happy aboout it. But the neck is a bit thicker then i would have preferred. Another option is the Rg7321. A good guitar for the money, but i would recommend a pickup change. But this is with a fixed bridge i think.

Tags
fixed bridge , ibanez neck , korean guitar , music store , pickup combination , strat tone , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode