RG1527 vs. UV777 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

RG1527 vs. UV777

Hello people! This is a really awesome forum..

OK heres my first post... I got this Fender Standard American Stratocaster, and I want to get a 7 string Ibanez, because it not sufficient for the music I make (from nu-metal stuff, to Satriani -crystal planet songs mostly- and to classical music -Bach violin concertos-). My search took me to 2 guitars RG1527 (which seems to be a good guitar for its price) and UV777 (which seems to be the uber-7 string)

Now, in some forums people say UV s are overpriced and RG1527 can be a match to it with better pickups..

Ibanez UV777:

UV Prestige neck
Maple Neck Material
Basswood Body
24/Large frets
Bound Rosewood Finger Board
Edge Pro 7 bridge
DiMarzio Blaze (H Neck PU
DiMarzio Blaze (S) Mid PU
DiMarzio Blaze (H) Bridge PU
Disappearing Pyramid Inlay
CH : Hardware Color

RG1527:

Wizard-7 Prestige neck
3pc. Maple Neck Material
Basswood Body
24/Jumbo frets
Rosewood Finger Board
Edge Pro 7 bridge
IBZ V7-7 (H) Neck PU
IBZ V8-7 (H) Bridge PU
Pearl Dot Inlay
PC : Hardware Color

Now the visible differences between these two guitars are

-Necks (UV neck/Wizard neck)
-Frets (Large/Jumbo)
-Pickups (3 pus in UV, 2 pus in RG)
-Quality of pickups (but I'll already change pickups if I get 1527 )

Now can someone tell me the difference between UV and Wizard-7 necks, large/jumbo frets and what kind of a sound difference is there between a 3 pickup guitar and 2 pickup 7 sting?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:58 PM

Both are worth what you'd pay for it. But I'd say try and find an older used UV or RG-7 in good condition, cuz you'll get more than what you pay for

Also, you may want something with a 27" scale or longer.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:47 AM

Re: RG1527 vs. UV777

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinu
Now, in some forums people say UV s are overpriced and RG1527 can be a match to it with better pickups..
I'd disagree with that. The UV MAY be overpriced- personally, i think you get what you pay for, but when you A/B it against a 1527, it certianly is a lot.

But as for a 1527 "matching" an UV with better pickups? They're two differet guitars, for two different purposes. The UV is eye candy. It's about the looks, the vibe, and the general badassness. The RG, on the other hand, is more of a "working man's 7." It's definitely not an unattractive axe, but it's more understated.

All else being equal, you go for the UV if you want a gutiar that, in additional to sounding and playing phenominal, you can just stare at. It's a work fo art. The Rg is more for those of us who want a great guitar to play the hell out of; excellent in all regards, but very utilitarian. The UV is an instrument, the RG is a tool. It's not a question of making them "match"
because both guitars are for two different things.

For the record, i play a 7620- a tool is perfectly fine, in my book.

-D
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG1527 vs. UV777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinu
I'd disagree with that. The UV MAY be overpriced- personally, i think you get what you pay for, but when you A/B it against a 1527, it certianly is a lot.

But as for a 1527 "matching" an UV with better pickups? They're two differet guitars, for two different purposes. The UV is eye candy. It's about the looks, the vibe, and the general badassness. The RG, on the other hand, is more of a "working man's 7." It's definitely not an unattractive axe, but it's more understated.

All else being equal, you go for the UV if you want a gutiar that, in additional to sounding and playing phenominal, you can just stare at. It's a work fo art. The Rg is more for those of us who want a great guitar to play the hell out of; excellent in all regards, but very utilitarian. The UV is an instrument, the RG is a tool. It's not a question of making them "match"
because both guitars are for two different things.

For the record, i play a 7620- a tool is perfectly fine, in my book.

-D

That was absolutely very useful, thanks loads. I got what you mean.

You just said what I exactly wanted to know and I will go for the RG. I dont yet play as good as to deserve a UV and besides I need a utilitarian guitar instead of a work of art for now.

Just for more information, how do you compare the two guitars in terms of easiness of playing? I now got an original stratocaster, but it doesnt suit the music I make, and besides it is moderately difficult to play. I am looking for an easier guitar for faster solos, is there massive difference between two these terms?

P.S.: I think 7620 is not being produced anymore. Instead Ibanez is furthering the production of 1527 and lower quality 7321
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 02:32 PM

I believe that the 1527 neck is pretty close to a UV neck (i.e., a bit thicker), so they should be roughly similar in terms of playability. I've got a 1527, and it's not bad, even coming from the Wizard 6s. Definitely thicker, but the increased width seem to even it out and make it more tolerable.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:30 AM

As far as I know, both are basswood bodied guitars with maple necks. I don't know if both have rosewood boards or not. Seeing as how the hard ware is similar, I have always felt tha the 7620 and 1527 were basically the same thing as the UNiverse minus the cosmetic differences and any neck profile difference.

And Ibanez isn't known for hand selecting the best available wood so you never know if oyu will get a great sounding piece of wood or not.I own a RG20207x, used to own ad 7620 ( a good one) adn a 1077xl and I decided that I want another basswood 7 string so I am buying a 1527 prestige.There's not even the slightest urge to get a universe in my mind (personally speaking)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:49 AM

get a 1527, cause i've heard they play very well.. and use the money you didn't spend on the universe to change the pickups and customize the 1527. you might end up spending more than what you'd pay for a new universe, depending on what all you do to it... but it would also be something that is all yours, as opposed to a production model

i have been thinking of doing this for a while.. except i have enough 7 strings right now.. and i'm trying to save for a Mesa Mark IV.

good luck with your decisions
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:23 AM

Not sure on the woods but I did hear from a reputable source that the UVs and basswood JEMs are made from American Basswood, while the RGs are asian basswood. Don't know if that is the reason, but the tone of my old UVPWH simply crushed that of the old 7620 I had, and it wasn't just pickups. But maybe I got a bad 7620 and a really good UV and their's so much variability that any deduction is impossible...don't know. I do know that I love my UV for its feel and vibe...it's an emotional thing that I never really got with an RG.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:13 PM

Interesting, Gresh. I had wondered about this for a while, as I had heard similar stories.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Not sure on the woods but I did hear from a reputable source that the UVs and basswood JEMs are made from American Basswood, while the RGs are asian basswood. Don't know if that is the reason, but the tone of my old UVPWH simply crushed that of the old 7620 I had, and it wasn't just pickups. But maybe I got a bad 7620 and a really good UV and their's so much variability that any deduction is impossible...don't know. I do know that I love my UV for its feel and vibe...it's an emotional thing that I never really got with an RG.
Actually until last year, RGs (at least 1527, which is a Prestige serie guitar) were made of Asian basswood and UVs were made of American basswood, but this year's product line up shows that both UVs and RG1527s are constructed from American basswood...which actually eliminates another big difference between the two guitars. Now both guitars are like the same except the quality and number of pickups and also the quality of the finish.

Tags
basswood body , crystal planet , dimarzio blaze , dot inlay , finger board , jumbo frets , maple neck , maple necks , mesa mark , production model , pyramid inlay , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood finger board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode