RG1527Z Quality issues - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

RG1527Z Quality issues

Hi,

After some lengthy lurking, I had to sign up to invoke some peer support regarding my RG's quality issues.

I purchased RG1527Z Prestige a month or so ago, and all these little discrepancies have been piling up ever since.

Firstly, the tremolo bridge. It is clearly installed off to the bass side, the gaps at the sides being 1.8 mm at the treble and 0.3 mm at the bass. Discrepancy of 1.5 mm does seem quite substancial to me, and I find it hard to imagine that it would fit inside any manufacturers tolerances, let alone Team J-Craft's. This obviously also results in strings being out of alignment - clearly visible while looking at the 4th string against the 21 fret inlay. Taking a look the tremolo string unit, the discrepancy is even more obvious: 1.0 mm bass side, 3.0 mm treble side, measured from the tremolo block to ZPS-string respectively each side. 2.0 mm discrepancy here.

For the strings 3,5 and 7, the intonation adjustment bolt comes poorly against the very highest edge of the bridge unit wall. End of the bolt being round and the edge being not only round but also of rather slippery chrome, this spells disaster. Upon loosening the saddle lock screw, the tension of the string pulls the adjustment bolt quite forcibly against the threads of the fine tuner. Damage. Threads knackered, fine tuner thus next to useless.

Playing some dreamy passages with lots of vibrato, continuously holding the trem arm, results in such a screeching, cracking and snapping racket from the trem arm retainer spring that you wouldn't believe. Makes my teeth chip. Grease does help for some half an hour of playing. I even polished the tremolo arm groove and tip with chrome polish - with added grease that helped for a day. I cannot honestly keep adding grease all the time - the bloody thing will get tricky to hold on to, in the end, with excess grease oozing out of every crevice. Some slapsticky hilarity should ensue, though. Only add a boater hat and some clanky saloon piano soundtrack.

Also, operating the tremolo produces some rather worrying snaps from the neck joint. Maybe due to the 0.35 mm gap between the neck and the pocket on the treble side? Isn't that gap a bit too sizeable as well? This should be Prestige, after all.

Then there is this minor splinter in the wood between the neck pup cavity and the neck pocket as well... Frets were far from mirror finish... No trussrod or bridge height adjustment gets rid of excess string buzz without playability suffering considreably... Weird resonances from saddle on some strings, especially while bending...

In essence:

1) Faulty tremolo install
2) Faulty saddles
3) Noisy tremolo arm
4) Dodgy neck joint
5) Damage to body
6) Fret issues

Unfortunately all this results in a guitar that I'm quite reluctant to pick up and play.

The reason I'm looking for opinions is that I need to be absolutely confident should I initiate the warranty process on this. The thing is, the (authorised Ibanez) dealer is a tad dodgy, and in all likelyhood he will try to wriggle his way out of this. He already tried to breach our agreement on price upon purchase. So I need to know what I'm saying and to be confident.

So, what you reckon? I'd find it worrying should such discrepancies appear to be within standard Ibanez Prestige manufacturing tolerances. Or maybe - I freely admit the possibility - I'm just too fuzzy?

Wasn't that one tedious moaning fit. If you reached this far, hats off to you, sir!

Anyhow, cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: RG1527Z Quality issues

Wow! That's really too bad. I got an RG1527ERB a while back (used) and it is still the best guitar I have ever touched. Sadly, it's gone and I don't think a new one would compare to it. But contact the seller and Ibanez I guess. Not really much else you can do.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Törö.
The alignment problems are serious. Could be caused by an impact.

I didn´t understand the saddle hassle. You´re supposed to loosen the string before opening the saddle screw, so there is no tension.

Trem noises are serious. No grease should be necessary.

Also noises from the neck joint are very serious. Although a gap at the side is not dangerous in itself, it might be a symptom of an impact.

Small cracking in the wood is natural in these parts it being winter and thus very dry. Assuming the crack doesn´t grow or affect the neck joint stability, it should be nothing to worry about.

My guess is, it´s gotten a shock of some sort during transport. That would certainly cause many of your problems.
Take it back and have it either fixed, or if damaged beyond that, replaced.
Based on your description the guitar is not what it´s supposed to be.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Reviews: 11

Yeah, a drop would cause most of it and be very likely. I used to work for UPS and trust me, they don't care about ANYTHING! They will sometimes play catch with small, fragile items.

I did not join in with them in this activity though. All I was doing was processing the packages and packing them if needed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM

if you do not like the guitar return it for an exchange. they do come with warranty
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 AM

If your unhappy return it!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Just return it. If the dealer gives you trouble I'm sure the distributor would like to know.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, everybody!

Quote:
I didn´t understand the saddle hassle. You´re supposed to loosen the string before opening the saddle screw, so there is no tension.
Mämmiä pöristimeen! (standard finnish greeting, remember that - it's useful) Maybe you haven't dealt with this kind of intonation sytem before. I'll try to explain it to you. Edge Zero and ZR2 tremolo (some other models as well, perhaps?) both feature a separate intonation adjustment bolt housed in the bass side of the tremolo bridge. This bolt is inserted to the rear of the saddle and tightened against what the manual calls a bridge unit wall, but which actually is the seating socket for the fine tuner. Now, this intonation bolt keeps the saddle in place (well, is supposed to) as you losen the saddle lock screw. The bolt is then used to adjust the intonation. Mine are the saddles with manufacturing discrepancies leading to bolt slippage and damage. There.

Quote:
Just return it. If the dealer gives you trouble I'm sure the distributor would like to know.
Trouble is that the dealer boasted about being good friends with the distributor. Probably masons or some sinister cultists and whatnot.

I've taken the guitar back now, and I already sense trouble in the way the dealer is processing the situation. It should be left for distributors perusal some time next week. We'll see. No high hopes.

Anyhow, thanks a lot everybody for taking time to contribute. Cheers.

Ps. Forgot to mention the trussrod adjustment bolt. It's leaning heavily to the treble side by several degrees. Should it? Also I have some pictures taken, but can't decide if I should put them up here...

Last edited by komentaja; 03-09-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 4

Yeah, it certainly sounds like you got a lemon. Return and exchange it. Your'e doing everybody a favor that way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 AM

You are definitely right in returning the guitar. I would not even let them do a repair, I would ask for a replacement.

How did everything work out for you? Did they get you a new guitar?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 AM

god you must have got a monday morning one i have 5 of em and they are all awesome

Tags
issues , quality , quality issues , rg1527z , warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode