RG1570 mod - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

RG1570 mod

Hi everyone!

I've got an ibanez rg1570. I really like this guitar, because of the tremolo system, the look, the neck feel and the Mirage red color. I would like to change the neck V7 pickup with a fernandes fsk-401 sustainer system. Have you got any experience with this sustainer?

And the other mod would be the bridge pickup change. Now the guitar has its origin v8 pickup. A heard from many that a pickup change would help a lot.

But i don't know which pickup would be the best for my purposes (blues,rock).
Now i play mainly pink floyd stuff. David Gilmour is one of my favourite players. I know he plays on strats, but i would like to make my ibanez better for this style. Can I reach that "liquid", bluesy tone with a new pickup?

Maybe a dimarzio air norton or a seymour duncan would be good? Can you suggest one?

Thanks
Norbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Re: RG1570 mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrcompany View Post
I've got an ibanez rg1570. I really like this guitar, because of the tremolo system, the look, the neck feel and the Mirage red color. I would like to change the neck V7 pickup with a fernandes fsk-401 sustainer system. Have you got any experience with this sustainer?
Warning, here be an old thread about my 1570 overhaul I forgot to update. I had the 101 kit installed. You'll need the rear control cavity to be extended and a new smaller cavity routed for the battery that powers the sustainer. A good luthier can do the whole installation process for a fee, although its not exactly a quick process. Keep in mind the position of the sustainer controls and where you'd feel comfortable having them. We found the right spot for mine so I could reach them quickly when playing and we wouldn't need to tear into the guitar too much to fit the gubbins of the sustainer controls in the rear cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrcompany View Post
And the other mod would be the bridge pickup change. Now the guitar has its origin v8 pickup. A heard from many that a pickup change would help a lot.
It will. The V series are quite thin and don't have much character to them. I can't recommend a pick up to you, its all about the sound in your head and the pick up that you think can get you there. Go to the Dimarzio website and check out their pickup selector guide, I've spent hours on there at times just working out different pickup combinations by listening to all the different demos and seeing what would be most compatible with the sound I'm trying to get. Its a fun feature and also incredibly helpful in finding the right pickup for you, plus its Dimarzio, and they make fantastic pickups.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 AM

Everyone basically recommends DiMarzio's for basswood RG's. I personally don't like my air norton because it sounds a bit muffled.

Look in the DiMarzio range and talk to people who have used them. I've been recommended for rock/metal the evo's. I currently use a DSonic. It is very clean with gain but probably a bit to much output for what you need.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Reviews: 4

I like the DiMarzio PAF Pro best. The Air Norton is a bit more muddy, but just a tad. The PAF Pro is more brilliant and cuts better through the mix.

I have 2 basswood RGs, one with Air Norton and another with PAF Pro. They sound different, but I like them both.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM

I have installed a breed bridge at the bridge position and fred at the neck, and left the original single. not a very common combo, but has worked great for me. a bit high output, very versatile for rock, probably would handle blues as well. since installing the breed, my 1570 sounds a bit more 'les paul'ish to my ears. The fred at the neck also sounds surprisingly good, maybe not as bright, but a bit fuller and thicker than a paf pro or air norton.

Also still +1 for the PAF Pro, they can do anything you want them to.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM

Reviews: 21

If you like Gilmour put a Dimarzio FS-1 in the single coil spot. I personally like the HS-3 since the single coil is in the middle and not the bridge position. Not that I'm going for Gilmour's sound or anything. The single coil on an HSH guitar seems to get overlooked quite often, I notice. You can add SO much flavor to an RG by installing a good single coil; maybe splitting it up with a nice humbucker in the bridge or neck.

Tags
ibanez rg 1570 v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode