RG1570 Needing alot of Neck Shims - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

RG1570 Needing alot of Neck Shims

I'm working on an RG1570 and I'm finding that I would have to screw the trem studs beyond their functional limit to get reasonable action. I found that that I have to shim the neck quite a bit, more than I would've thought was reasonable. I am stacking two razor blades (the thick part) on top of each other on the low E side, and one razor blade on the high E side. This leaves a visible gap when you look at where the neck attaches to the body.

I have flattened the neck with the truss rod, which is working fine. I have a little more tweaking to do but even with higher action than I've gotten on other RG1570s, I have a slight buzz on the high E string towards the middle of the fretboard.

Should I recommend that the buyer return this guitar, or are these issue reasonable?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Re: RG1570 Needing alot of Neck Shims

It sounds like you are raising the entire neck in the pocket rather than changing the angle, but I might be misunderstanding your post. The idea is to change the angle slightly like this:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Reviews: 2

I would check the stud anchors to be sure they're fully seated in the body........

Pics of everything would go a LONG way here.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I would check the stud anchors to be sure they're fully seated in the body........
Exactly what I was about to say!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

I have this problem on two of my Ibanez guitars my RG770DX and my JEM77VBK.
I used four guitar picks to elevate the neck and I can see a small gap. The trem studs were my first thought when I started messing with this same issue, they are in all the way. Who knows why some Ibanez guitars have this issue??? I've seen other guys make wood shims that cover the whole bottom of the neck pocket. It works great. My RG770DX has some of the lowest action out of all my Ibanez guitar because I shimmed like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I've seen other guys make wood shims that cover the whole bottom of the neck pocket. It works great.
I had to do that.

This was the only guitar I have that is bad enough to need a ship like this, but in general I have found this pretty variable from guitar to guitar. I made the shim out of 1/16" thick basswood. Next time I change strings on that guitar, I'll probably paint that edge black. I already sealed it with sanding sealer when I made it.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:43 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. I worked on it for hours last night and got it to a point where it only needs one razor blade per side (I am raising the whole neck like Takin' A Ride, not changing the angle). I tried to take pics but they didn't turn out. I feel like I should be able to get the action a little lower. I'm starting to get buzzing when pressing the high E 10th fret, but nowhere else. In your guys experience, how low are you able to get the action on an RG1570? I went by Stew Mac's Fender standards (.02) but I would've thought I could go lower without buzzing.

What should I be able to get away with?
-String Relief at 7th fret?
-String Height at 17th fret?
-String Height at 1st Fret?

Thanks again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 AM

All guitars are different. Even with a 'perfect' fret level you're going to get some buzzing at some points on the neck depending on action and relief, and just the 'personality' of the guitar.
I consider 'standard' action for an RG to be this:
Relief at the 9th fret: about .3 MM, a little more or less depending on the neck and desired feel.
Action at the 24th fret, low E: about 2mm
Action at the 24th fret, high E: about 1.8 mm
Any lower expect some buzzing on any guitar.
With lower action you'll want to straighten the neck a bit... about .1 or .2 mm, but I wouldn't ever make a neck 'dead straight' no matter how low the desired action.
Nut height is a personal thing (within a certain range). Some prefer it a little higher, some as low as possible without it buzzing on the first fret when you play open. (ALWAYS adjust the nut AFTER setting neck relief).
A good rule of thumb that I use:
Press down right in front of the second fret (between frets 2 and 3) and check the clearance. You should just see a bit of space, enough for a few sheets of paper to fit. This gives you enough open clearance while being what most would consider low.
I usually go with a higher nut, I just like the feel better, but it's all dependent on taste and what you can get away with on the particular guitar you're setting up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Reviews: 1

does this mod really work? i know and have seen some spacers on the neck pocket... but maybe 0.5 mm or 1mm... but not larger than that!!!
hmmm i have to try it!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:26 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
does this mod really work? i know and have seen some spacers on the neck pocket... but maybe 0.5 mm or 1mm... but not larger than that!!!
hmmm i have to try it!!!
Yup, it works great, but only on guitars that need it.

Tags
1570 , luthier , neck shim , prestige , rg1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode