RG1570 Pickup question. :-/ - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

RG1570 Pickup question. :-/

I have an RG1570, I swapped out the V7/V8 and put in a QM1/QM2 pickup set. They sounds worlds better, and older OEMs are about all I can afford. With the correct EQ settings they are very versatile and sound great. Bassicly just set the mids/highs almost flat and you get a very good 80s rock tone, and give it a little more mids/highs and it gets a very good heavy metal tone. Roll off the highs and add some mid and they are really good for leads. Good cleans too. I know allot of people really like these, and I read what I could prior to buying them. MY question is, for those who have used or heard these, if I was to go with a tone zone in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck how much better would it sound. I would attempt to get hese used for a great deal, if possible as that is all I can afford. This would be an attempt to copy the F2/F4 setup that people say is amazing.

Is there a Ibanez spec for pickup height ? The pickups have always sat about 4mm from the strings. That to me seems kind of far. I am used to 2mm, sometimes closer. They have amazing output even that far from the strings.

Last edited by SGramer; 06-04-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: RG1570 Pickup question. :-/

The DiMarzios will sound much better!

Set the height where you get the best sound--everyone likes them different, so follow your ears.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The DiMarzios will sound much better!

Set the height where you get the best sound--everyone likes them different, so follow your ears.
I have foam under both, and I have the rear lower. The bridge, it seems from my experience should be higher, based on other makes. Every Ibanez I have bought has had the pickups lower than I would like(~3.5mm). With the surface mount it is just a pain to get them really close to the strings. Duncan says to set them 1/8-1/16 which would be 2-3mm. I guess they are only a little low based on those specs.. It sounds fine, but I have no idea what it would sound like higher. From an output stand point they seem fine, not lacking. I guess a little low would be safer than creating intonation, tuning and sustain issues.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGramer View Post
I have foam under both, and I have the rear lower. The bridge, it seems from my experience should be higher, based on other makes. Every Ibanez I have bought has had the pickups lower than I would like(~3.5mm). With the surface mount it is just a pain to get them really close to the strings. Duncan says to set them 1/8-1/16 which would be 2-3mm. I guess they are only a little low based on those specs.. It sounds fine, but I have no idea what it would sound like higher. From an output stand point they seem fine, not lacking. I guess a little low would be safer than creating intonation, tuning and sustain issues.

Pickup height has nothing to do with tuning or intonation.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You get the rear pickup close enough it can really screw with things, they even made a term for it "stratitis". I have never had it happen on a bridge pickup, but the neck oh yeah. It is probably more common on strats do to the pickup position and the scale length.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Does any one have experience with the quantums as compared to magnet swapped Vs ?
I just swapped my magnets and was thinking about seeing how they sounded, if there is a possibility they may sound better.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
If your p/ups are too close they will pull harder on the strings and can cause intonation problems... along with odd vibratory patterns often causing a warbling effect.

Quote:
You get the rear pickup close enough it can really screw with things, they even made a term for it "stratitis". I have never had it happen on a bridge pickup, but the neck oh yeah. It is probably more common on strats do to the pickup position and the scale length.
I believe Strats have this problem more because of the single coil p/ups. The magnets used are fairly strong, and the pole piece itself is the magnet, unlike a humbucker where the magnet is actually under the coils with the pole conducting the magnetic field through the coil... making it comparatively weaker.

I've setup many guitars with single coils that were brought to me with the complaint, "It just sounds strange." and the problem was simply they had the single coil pickups less than one millimeter from the strings.

Even with humbuckers I find I get a much smoother tone if I set them about 3mm from the strings... a little closer on the high E side though.

Ibanez recommends about 3mm

Dimarzio recommends 2mm on bass side, 1.5mm on the treble side.

But as noted by my esteemed colleague; use your ears. What I like, you may not... and vise-verse.

Last edited by MicJustMic; 06-06-2012 at 06:06 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

If the pickups are that high--yes, they would affect the pull--but they'd have to be really close to the strings. Anything raised that high would sound like crap, too...LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
If your p/ups are too close they will pull harder on the strings and can cause intonation problems... along with odd vibratory patterns often causing a warbling effect.

I believe Strats have this problem more because of the single coil p/ups. The magnets used are fairly strong, and the pole piece itself is the magnet, unlike a humbucker where the magnet is actually under the coils with the pole conducting the magnetic field through the coil... making it comparatively weaker.

I've setup many guitars with single coils that were brought to me with the complaint, "It just sounds strange." and the problem was simply they had the single coil pickups less than one millimeter from the strings.

Even with humbuckers I find I get a much smoother tone if I set them about 3mm from the strings... a little closer on the high E side though.

Ibanez recommends about 3mm

Dimarzio recommends 2mm on bass side, 1.5mm on the treble side.

But as noted by my esteemed colleague; use your ears. What I like, you may not... and vise-verse.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
If the pickups are that high--yes, they would affect the pull--but they'd have to be really close to the strings. Anything raised that high would sound like crap, too...LOL.
Well, too many people only stating that 'closer is louder' causing the uninformed to think; 'as close as possible must be better'.

What would be better to tell those that ask is, 'Closer is louder, but too close is crappier.'

Like I said though, I do find a much smoother, if not as loud, tone at about 3mm on my buckers, and about 3.5 to 4 on the singles.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
Well, too many people only stating that 'closer is louder' causing the uninformed to think; 'as close as possible must be better'.

What would be better to tell those that ask is, 'Closer is louder, but too close is crappier.'

Like I said though, I do find a much smoother, if not as loud, tone at about 3mm on my buckers, and about 3.5 to 4 on the singles.
I had a problem with my strat when i put hot rails in it, and was quite surprised to find out about the problems the rear pickup can cause.

As i have been researching the pickup height on my RG I have found an amazing amount of information that would indicate lower pickups may actually sound better a good deal of the time.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
As i have been researching the pickup height on my RG I have found an amazing amount of information that would indicate lower pickups may actually sound better a good deal of the time.
What he said.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Funny its been 2-3 days since I've been adjusting the height of mine.

More interesting is I currently ended-up lowering the tonezone really low (but raising few polepieces) and the air-norton is very high :P

After setting both pickups individually by ear I then switched to middle (both active) and adjusted more detailed to get the best sound. The upper side of the norton is a little lower than the treble now.

Still need maybe 1-2 days to get it perfect, I record the results to compare which has been very useful and time saving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode