RG1570z (with Edge Zero) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Question RG1570z (with Edge Zero)

First of all as a new user I'd like to say hello!

I would like to ask about Ibanez RG1570z - the new 2010 release with the Edge Zero trem - is it worth buying? I'm planning to buy a new guitar - a reliable one to wich I'll stick for years, but am quite confused if this guitar is really worth it.

I've red the "Edge Pro vs Edge Zero" thread and started to doubt. Thing is that I'm still a beginner (this will be my second guitar - my first one is ESP Ltd m-50 - a quite low-budget one ). I started to feel that my current guitar limits my learning progress so I decided to buy a better one and after a lot of research I've focused my mind on the RG1570z. This guitar suits all my needs - I like the looks and heard that its very versatile (I mostly play heavy metal and hard rock but not only - also different kinds of rock and prog). And hey - its a Prestige Ibby!

I never used a tremolo before but wish to give it a try and learn (so in consequence I've picked a guitar with one). On the other hand its not the most important feature for me. The most important things are:
- that the guitar stays in tune
- that the guitar is comfortable
- that the guitar will suit the music I play (metal/rock but not only)
- will manage with a 'whole step down' (D) tuning
- that the guitar wont hold me back (i.e. I'm still having problems with learning harmonics with my current axe)

I'm not a huge Satriani/Vai playing style fan - I want to have a tremolo bar but it's not my main target. So here's my question - is it worth spending my two salaries on that axe? Is the Edge Zero really that bad for a novice like me? Will I have problems with it even if I'm not really such a trem fanatic?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Re: RG1570z (with Edge Zero)

That's a great guitar, and you'll be very pleased with it. The only thing is that it has to be setup correctly to get the most out of it. Also, if you've never worked with a trem like this, there's a bit of a learning curve to get it set right. I say go for it and read up on Rich's website of how to properly setup one of these bad boys, especially the action height and truss rod sections. (link).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM

The Zero and the Pro are both good trems. I would not worry too much about which one the guitar has, because since you are a newer player you haven't really developed a preference to anything yet. The important thing is the trem stays in tune which both of them do just fine. I agree with the poster above in that you will want to learn how to properly set up a trem and the whole guitar in general. It WILL take you a few hours the first few times to do it properly, but it's really pretty simple when you break it down and well worth it for the cool things you can do with a trem, and the tuning stability they provide. Once you have it locked down, you can go hours upon hours of playing without having to tune.

If you have the money, and entry level Prestige is a great guitar to buy if you know you are going to stick with playing guitar for a while. You can grow into it and honestly you can become an excellent player and never need to upgrade, save for maybe the pickups/electronics, but the building block is there.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about what type of double-locking tremolo you're getting if this is your first venture into that territory. I have my own opinions, and I'd certainly express them if I was the one doing the buying, but you should probably form your own.

The Edge Zero is a perfectly good servicible piece of hardware. If you don't like the ZPS system, you can always remove it and it will be more like a regular Floyd.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead_33 View Post
I agree with the poster above in that you will want to learn how to properly set up a trem and the whole guitar in general.
...the necessity of learning to do this yourself will depend on several factors. How much wear and tear will you be putting on this instrument? Is there a reputable tech in your area? If so, are you willing to pay this person to do it for you? Will they be able to do it correctly and up to your standards? YMMV.

I personally do not set up any of my guitars. Every so often I pay someone to adjust everything and throw on a set of Elixirs, specifically because I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of playability for string longevity. I do not gig, nor am I hard on any of my guitars.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 2

Hi Alternative, welcome to Jemsite!!!

Deciding on the 1570 is, in my opinion, a VERY wise choice, this is no entry level guitar by anyone's standards. As most people here on jemsite will tell you, the 550/570 series guitars are the quintessential professional players guitars (the 1570 is just the natural extension of the 5xx line) Everything about these guitars is geared toward the professional touring musician. They are VERY tough and dependable!!! These guitars are every true shredders gigging machine. They have the quality of the much higher priced Prestige's and the Jem's & JS series..... without the price tag!!

As Linkage, Potato, and Tiger have said above. There ARE some setup techniques that you'll want to learn to do. This is actually necessary on any guitar, trem or hardtail, any brand. Setting up a guitar IS NOT DIFFICULT!!!! once you learn the process, it will last you the rest of your life. You could absolutely use RedTiger's advise and allow a local tech to do the majority of the work if you like, but unless that tech is willing to come to every show, gig, practice session that you go to.... you better learn it....... strings always seem to break at the worst possible moment......lol

The Edge Zero, in my opinion, is every bit as solid and dependable as the Edge-Pro, and even the Lo-Pro and original Edge (and thats saying a lot!!) You just have to know how to set it up!!

Like Linkage said, Go to Rich Harris' site: http://ibanezrules.com/ Rich is an everyday Senior member here, and arguably the single most informed person in the stated on Ibanez guitars past and present. He's actually the only dealer in the states that I know you can trust implicitly. I would also go as far as to say that if your serious about buying, I would call or email Rich first!! His prices are unbeatable especially when you consider the level of service he provides before, during, and long after the sale. The guitar will be delivered to you completely inspected (and he finds stuff none of us ever could), setup to your preferences, and stage ready!!!!

Best of luck whatever you decide. Remember to post an NGD thread when you buy it.

Ryc
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 AM

Reviews: 11

I agree with what RGTFanatic said. The trem will take a while to set up the 1st few times but i believe its essential to learn to do it. Whether your gigging or not. I think of it as kind of a bond. If your guitar treats your right, you have to treat it right. And i think treating it right is NOT just giving it off to some random guy that doesnt know what you want or like (hes just going by the books) and will never take the time to care about your guitar as if it were his.

As for the guitar itself, i played one of its cousins (1550m) and i own an rg1527 (its 7 string cousin) and these "entry level" prestiges are super solid and the playability is great! And im sure this rg1570z is just as good, maybe better because it has the same trem asvthe J-Customs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the replies! You all helped me a lot!

I live about 15 min's from the Mayones factory and usually have been servicing stuff there - they have really reliable people there. But for sure I'm going to learn how to set it up properly by myself - its just that I don't want to tinker with it from the begnining - I wish to explore the guitar first, how it fits and reacts, its all features and all - and then, with little steps, I'll be adjusting it myself (like meeting a new GF - firstly explore the ground and then tinker ).

Unfortunately I'm unable to buy the axe form Rich (altough I would prefer to buy it from such a experianced and reliable person like Him), but I live in Poland and the shipping (maybe not the shipping itself but the toll and tax) is quite high and it would cost +30% of the original guitar value. ATM I'm waiting for the Ibby shipping to Central Europe which will be in march - but waiting was making me more cofused with every single day

I have been playing for 4 years now but find myself a novice still. On the other hand I know how important it is to choose a proper axe - aspecially if its going to be one for years.

But thanks to You guys I'm certain that this guitar is the one! Thanks again for Your time and help! As soon as it's in my hands I'll post a feedback!
Regards!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
And i think treating it right is NOT just giving it off to some random guy that doesnt know what you want or like (hes just going by the books) and will never take the time to care about your guitar as if it were his.
Sorry, but John Thurston isn't "some random guy", nor is he "just doing by the books". Normally I don't take something like this personally, but for John, I'm going to have to make mention of him. Mr. Thurston is a fairly well-known luthier who co-branded his own line of guitars at one point and was the go-to guy in the DC Area before (forunately for me) moving to Texas.

I'm going to go ahead and take the blame for making an assumption and not being clear. When I said:

Quote:
Is there a reputable tech in your area? If so, are you willing to pay this person to do it for you? Will they be able to do it correctly and up to your standards? YMMV.
I meant the type of guy you rely on for work on vintage instruments and family heirlooms, not the resident "tech" stringing up Lagunas at GC. If you're lucky to have someone like that in your community, it can be a joy to give them the opportunity to work on your guitars.

Last edited by RedTiger; 02-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM

see, i dont have anybody like that near me. all i have is the dude stringing up laguna's at GC so all ive really ever known it that i have to learn to do it myself
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
see, i dont have anybody like that near me. all i have is the dude stringing up laguna's at GC so all ive really ever known it that i have to learn to do it myself
That's a shame. If I was in that situation, I'd be forced to practice setting up guitars. The local GC guy is cheaper, WAY cheaper than John -- $35 flat fee vs. $65 an hour. But I wouldn't trust GC with anything I own. It's mostly not the tech, it's the fact that the guitars he working on sit out on stands in the store with nothing between you and them but a counter. Their inventory gets stolen all the time. A bright yellow Jem will attact a thief like candy. No thanks, GC.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
That's a shame. If I was in that situation, I'd be forced to practice setting up guitars. The local GC guy is cheaper, WAY cheaper than John -- $35 flat fee vs. $65 an hour. But I wouldn't trust GC with anything I own. It's mostly not the tech, it's the fact that the guitars he working on sit out on stands in the store with nothing between you and them but a counter. Their inventory gets stolen all the time. A bright yellow Jem will attact a thief like candy. No thanks, GC.
speaking of bright yellow guitars stolen at guitar center (funny that i actually got to fit this in so well), there was a 1993 rg550dy (dude pretended it was an 89, and he was really pissed when a 16 year old had to teach him how to read a serial #) that they were selling for $650 in pretty bad shape so that exact thing happened. it was behind the counter getting a "set-up" and someone was obviously mad about the price so they took it out the door. sad thing was i had a deposit on it. oh well, at least i got my money back
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
AHem!!!! I think you had somebody helping you along the way.................lol
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
AHem!!!! I think you had somebody helping you along the way.................lol
thats why i said LEARN to do it myself, not just start off like a pro hahaha
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 PM

@Alternative4,

The others are dead-on about the quality of the 1570z. The only reason it's cheap is because it has the cheap Ibanez pickups instead of DiMarzios, but that shouldn't stop you buying the guitar, you can always upgrade them later if you feel you need to.

The main thing I wanted to say was about the Edge Zero. A lot of people who are used to fully-floating trems don't like them, but the great thing is that they are extremely easy to set up. Much easier than full-float trems. So, from that point of view, it makes a lot of sense to get an Edge Zero as your first trem. As others have said, you can always take off the ZPS system later if you want to try out a fully-floating one.

Go for it, I guarantee you will be happy. Ibanez guitars are great, and Prestiges are fantastic. I'd try one out before you buy though, to make sure you like the wizard neck.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thx abracadabra!

I'm actually thinking about swapping those pickups some day in the future. The time will tell

About the EZ - it's in fact the thing I'm looking for in a trem - the most important thing is the ease of setting them up properly and the stability of tuning (I'm quite sick of my current axe - have to tune it after about an hour of playing). On the other hand I dont want to buy a fixed one. Want to be able to play a little with floating trems - to learn a couple of tricks and effects - I think it may be useful in adding some interesting licks/effects in our bands compositions etc.

ATM the biggest pain in the a** is that the Ibby shipping is planned not sooner than March - ohhh - I'm actually waiting since November 2010

Tags
1570z , edge zero , rg1570z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode