RG20061 & Tremol-no - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

RG20061 & Tremol-no

Unreal.... I been a Strat guy pretty much my whole life...Owned many a guitar...various LP's and other Gibsons (ES's etc) and always got rid of them in favor of the almighty Strat...

So yet again I got the itch to get something other than another Strat..so I went out on a limb and went with a Prestige...Knowing full well that I shouldn't even consider a Floyd equipped guitar.. I always load my strats with springs and tighten them up all the way...and throw away the trem arm..

My original quest when looking online etc to find one I liked I fell in love with the
RGT320Q, and that was gunna be my main one to check out... I called around and around and NOBODY had anything in the area (I live in Connecticut)... So I made one last call and found all 3 I was considering the 320Q/220A/321

I played the 320Q but didn't like the lacquered neck..then I found it, the 20061... Smoothest neck on the planet...

So I took her home, set her up with .11's adjusted the action,intonation, relief etc....

and I started to like it, but was still unsure...Then I took it up to the band room for a band practice.... and then I realized that the floyd was gunna be the downfall.... I played it thru 2 practices, and then I went back to my strat... The string bending issues with the floyd was just too much of a pain in the ass to deal with...

I looked around for a solution...found the Tremol-No... ordered it...

Then yesterday I said 'eff' it, I'm taking the RG back and just getting another strat..( I was still waiting for the Tremol-NO)

So I went back, tried a strat I really wanted and if it wasn't for poorly dressed frets on that strat I'd own yet another strat... I really wanted to love the RG, and did really like it aside from the Floyd...

Then today I got the Tremol-No ... put it in and now all i can say is thank god.. Now finally, it is the guitar I want it to be...

Obviously, it's been only 1/2 hour since I put it in, and haven't played in a 'real' setting, but I can tell already that it sooo much better (for me)... No more bogus string bending, and tuning nightmares... I can go from regular tuning to drop tuning and not have to set the guitar up every time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG20061 & Tremol-no

Good stuff, I've been thinking about one of these.

What kind of 11's are you running, how's the neck with them?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1681 View Post
Good stuff, I've been thinking about one of these.

What kind of 11's are you running, how's the neck with them?
Sup broham... I use boomer 11's which is 11-50... i tune down 1/2 step, and then do drop tuning from there so C# when i drop...

the neck is so freakin solid...especially comparing it to a bolt on strat... On a strat I would bend the neck for a little dive bomb (if you could call it that!) for a step or 2.... with this I tried it and she doesn't move...I put alotta pressure and got maybe 25 cent shift...so yeah it's like a rock....

Going from the stock .09's (i think it was 9's?) to the 11's was no biggie on the neck at all...I tightened the truss maybe 1/3 of a turn and that was the day after putting the 11's on cause it really didn't bow much at all even after a day for it to settle in... I probably didn't even need to adjust it.. It certainly didn't move like the Strats do...

5 piece neck thru is one solid mofo... and with it being 2 different woods, it stand up real well to inconsistent weather we've been having here...

the only thing I can say that is still a bit of an issue for me...After playing a Strat for the last 15 or so years, it does feel different...I'm so used to strats that it is a bit of a change getting used to the 'feel' moreso for the picking hand and position...not as different as a LP.. but I find that my pick hand is a little further forward on the strings than where it would be on my strats...It's about as close to a strat as your gunna get, but the string height in relation to the body (where you pick) is slightly higher, and the fact that the strat is more contoured where your forearm rests puts your feel a bit off...not alot, but enough for it to not be "just right"...

I think it's just a matter of getting used to it more...all in all, not too big of a change, but enough to throw ya off for super quick picking leads...Kinda feels like I'm tripping and flubbing over the strings with the pick sometimes...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
...I use boomer 11's which is 11-50...i tune down 1/2 step, and then do drop tuning from there so C# when i drop...
Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
...Going from the stock .09's (i think it was 9's?) to the 11's was no biggie on the neck at all...I tightened the truss maybe 1/3 of a turn and that was the day after putting the 11's on cause it really didn't bow much at all even after a day for it to settle in...
Also very good to hear

I hear what you're saying about feel. For me, its my left hand though. I've been playing ESPs from day one, and they have a unique fingerboard feel. Not sure if its the frets, or the wood or what, but nothing quite feels like an ESP. The RG I have plays and feels great, it just feels a little...funny compared to my ESP of old.

Tags
equipped guitar , neck thru , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode