RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod - What does the 5-way do now? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod - What does the 5-way do now?

On the link listed below, the Double-Edge re-wire for DiMarzios would set up the RG2020XTB under Ibanez's "J-Custom Special" pattern for two humbuckers. Does anyone have any info on what that would be? Also, I wanted to make sure that the wiring is right. All I did was put the wiring as shown in the tutorial. In other words, If the wire wasn't shown in diagram as being added, I left it as is. My question was, could I have left a wire in place that needed removing? When I put the 5-way in pos-2 or pos-4 (which I assume are coil taps). When I engage any of those two positions, it's a bit noisier than my JS1000 was, which was near silent. I was just curious if I could have left a wire where it shouldn't be. In all other positions, the Br-ToneZone/Neck-PAFPro sound awesome.

http://www.universaljems.com/tut/rewire.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 03:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

i'm not familiar with the "goal" of that wiring project... ie... what pickups are on in each position.

That said, if i were re-wiring *any* guitar, i would get rid of that ibanez 5-way switch and replace it with a simpler allparts/dimarzio style used previously by ibanez. All those extra poles can only serve to overcomplicate a simple wiring job, weaken contact points and introduce noise.

Grab any wiring diagram you want at ibanz or online for 2-2 pickups... glen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 07:08 PM

RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

Contrary to Glen's belief that the extra poles "complicate" things, they actually offer you 3x the regular wiring options of the Mega-Switch....but, it's up to you what to put into your own guitar. *Me? *I'm an Options-kinda guy. *:-)
No- I won't do a diagram for the Mega-Switches. *Sorry.

As for what position does what with regard to my diagram, and to help Glen with his "goal":

The J-Custom Special wiring is also referred to as the Classic 5. *
If image above is dead, email me.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:57 PM

RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

I totally agree with Glen, and I did this to my 2020 a few months back. There is only so much you can do with 2 humbuckers......better yet, there is only so much you NEED to do with 2 humbuckers, and the regular basic 5 way covers it fine, and is a hell of a lot easier to do. 3X more options?? Again I say, there is only so much you can do with 2 humbuckers. Lets see......5 positions X 3, you trying to say there are 15 other ways to diagram it?? Like thats necessary

(Edited by Todd Crawford at 8:57 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:19 PM

RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

Quote:
Todd Crawford on 8:57 pm on Mar. 4, 2002
Lets see......5 positions X 3, you trying to say there are 15 other ways to diagram it??
Not 15 other ways to diagram it, but a bunch more ways to wire the pickups- things like:
Want the neck HB in parallel? *
Want the two outer coils on each HB split? *In parallel?
Want the outer coils and and one inner coil wired in parallel? *

Like I said, I'm an options-type guy.

Also, there's only *so many* wiring options with H-S-H, H-S-S or S-S-S setups. *
As usual, it's all personal preference.

Sorry guys- but I'm not drawing up a diagram for the Mega-Switch. *
I'm sure you can find one on Ibanez.com.

Just remember: *the MAGNETIC pickups are COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the piezo pickups. *Wire up your Double Edge guitar just as you would any of your other guitars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

I was kind of interested in setting it up like the JS1000s using the push-pull pots and capacitors simply because I like the functionality. Also, what does parallel wiring do tonally for a humbucker compared to tapping? Steve C

(Edited by scarello at 10:40 am on Mar. 5, 2002)

Tags
coil tap , magnetic pickups , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode