RG2020XTB - I'm Looking for Pics and Feedback - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB - I'm Looking for Pics and Feedback

I am looking for pics of the RG2020X as well as feedback on the stock pickups. Also, what would be good replacement pickups for the mohagony body, kinda leaning toward the B-Air Norton N-Steve's Specials. Thanks Steve C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 02:02 AM

RG2020XTB

Steve--

Here's a pic of my 2020:
http://w3.one.net/~brentano/studio/ibanezrg2020.html

Which, obviously, looks nothing like a normal 2020, but the previous owner had it swirled and installed new pickups so I've never seen it stock. I did play a stock 2020 in the store a few years back, and I really didn't like the stock pickups--they sounded kinda mushy... they lacked clarity.

Mine actually does have the AN/SS pickups combination. Air Norton is a great neck pickup--very smooth for soloing in the neck position--it's pretty consistent in both basswood and mahogany bodies. While I really like the Steve's Special on basswood, it's a little muddy and perhaps a little too death-metally on mahogany. Personally, I really like the Tone Zone on mahogany--I've got TZ's in the bridges of 4 of my guitars. It's pretty in-your-face as a lead pickup, but it does clean up (and split) pretty nicely.

--B
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB

I've seen that particular RG2020X, but I wanted to see the TB color if possible. All the pictures I see make it look drab and dark, but the pic of the new ones on Rich's Ibanezrules.com site makes it look a little more lighter. I had a JS100TR and the guitar in person blew away all the catalog pics I've ever seen!!! I'm anticipating the same for the RG2020XTB. Also, I like the tone of the FRED and PAF Pro combo in the JS1000(especially since I had one), but I'm not sure how different that combo would sound in a Mohogany body direct mounted to the body. But the concensus I've read online seems to point to the JPM pup configuration of B-Air Nortons and N-Steve's Specials. Steve C
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:56 PM

RG2020XTB

Scarello, the guitar shop where I just took my 2027 (7-string version of the 2020 in case you didn't know) for a pickup change ( I went with the Air Norton 7 and the Tone Zone 7) has a 2020XTB, and it looks SWEET in person. Not drab at all. The flame just jumps out at you, and the blue is very pleasant to look at, nice and smooth. It has the same delicious natural 'pseudo' binding on the body. The finish was glossy, but almost had a satiny quality to it. I haven't seen any pics of the 2020XTB, but if it's like how my 2027 was, the difference from photo to reality is quite striking. But, having seen the 2020XTB in person, I'd say it looks beautiful.

BTW, the popular consesus around here is for the Air Norton/Tone Zone combo. However, I would reconsider your setup ideas. The Air Norton is a great NECK pickup, not bridge, and the Steve's Special is a good BRIDGE pickup, not neck (this is the same P.U. config. John Petrucci uses.) With that in mind, there ain't no right or wrong way to go, so, do as you wish!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB

So what you are saying is that the the RG2020XTB has a bit of a flame, or that the wood grain looks good with the color?
Secondly, Air Norton in the Neck and Steve's Special in the Bridge? Is that correct? Steve C

Posted to Jemsite forum:

Scarello, the guitar shop where I just took my 2027 (7-string version of the 2020 in case you didn't know) for a pickup change ( I went with the Air Norton 7 and the Tone Zone 7) has a 2020XTB, and it looks SWEET in person. Not drab at all. The flame just jumps out at you, and the blue is very pleasant to look at, nice and smooth. It has the same delicious natural 'pseudo' binding on the body. The finish was glossy, but almost had a satiny quality to it. I haven't seen any pics of the 2020XTB, but if it's like how my 2027 was, the difference from photo to reality is quite striking. But, having seen the 2020XTB in person, I'd say it looks beautiful.

BTW, the popular consesus around here is for the Air Norton/Tone Zone combo. However, I would reconsider your setup ideas. The Air Norton is a great NECK pickup, not bridge, and the Steve's Special is a good BRIDGE pickup, not neck (this is the same P.U. config. John Petrucci uses.) With that in mind, there ain't no right or wrong way to go, so, do as you wish!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:37 PM

RG2020XTB

I have a 2020, but I sent it off to Brian Calvert for some major modifications. *I'll see if I took any pics of it before I sent it off.

As others have said, the stock pickups are lame, plan on replacing them. *Mine is getting an Air Norton neck and Tone Zone bridge, plus a Texas Special single in the middle. *But I also have a mahogany RG with a Steve's Special in the bridge, and I like it a lot. *And yes - the norm would be to put the AN in the neck and SS in the bridge.

The fniish in general is nice. *Most pics you'll find are too dark. *The pic on Rich's site looks to be pretty close to the right color to me. *The finish is blue, but the clear Ibanez uses seems to have a slight yellow tint to it, making the finish look a little bit blue-green.

One word of caution, however - Ibanez has been making all of the 202x series guitars out of random pieces of mahogany of random size. *Often times one of the pieces will be much darker or lighter than the piece it's next to, and this IMO looks really awful. *Mine had the lower 3/4 of the body made from one piece, and the upper 1/4 made from a second piece of much darker wood. *I was planning to refinish it in a solid color anyeay, so it didn't bother me, and it really doesn't look that bad with a darker finish like the TB. *But I've seen a 2027 and an S2020 that were just hideous because of this.

Also, be aware that the 2120 will be out in a couple months, with improved electronics fo the piezo system, for the same list price as the 2020. *This is the reason for a lot of the 202x bargains that cn be had lately.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB

Thanks Kuma, would appreciate any pics you might have. And yes, I deal/dealt with [email protected]anezrules and took advantage of the price break due to the new electronics coming soon on the RG2020X. Steve C
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 05:33 PM

RG2020XTB

Dude,
* * *Don't buy a 2020XTB. *They (Ibanez) just came out witha 2120XTB which is exactly the same as the 2020, except some modifications on the controls, which are supposed to be better. *It should be in stores at the same time as all of the other new released 2002 Ibanez guitars and what-naught are.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:17 AM

RG2020XTB

or buy a 2020 at clearance prices since the 2120's are coming out, and do the KJC mod.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:59 PM

RG2020XTB

KJC Mod? Is that any relation to the KJG mod? Or maybe it's closer to the KFC mod... ya know, where your axe sports a coating of crispy herbs and spices! "I'll take a bucket of RG2027's please, original recipe!" :loco:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:28 PM

RG2020XTB

Finally dug up a pic...

The pic is probably a little on the light side, but it's pretty close I think. *The fingerboard's also a little light..the store I got it from managed to really dry it out, it darkened right up when I cleaned/treated it. *A pretty guitar IMO, I liked that natural binding.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:24 AM

RG2020XTB

Quote:
Wordwolf on 2:59 pm on Feb. 14, 2002
KJC Mod? Is that any relation to the KJG mod? Or maybe it's closer to the KFC mod... ya know, where your axe sports a coating of crispy herbs and spices! "I'll take a bucket of RG2027's please, original recipe!" :loco:
Damn did I mess up the acronym?? Well, it's the thought that counts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB

Nice Pic Kuma. I should have mine next week, the latest early week after. I will post some close-up detailed pics as soon as possible. One question....how do you embed the picture in your post? Steve C
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

RG2020XTB

What a wonderful sight to come home to, after 23 hrs. on the road back from FLA. The guitar was in transit when I left for Florida last week. Almost any pic would not do this guitar justice!!!! For the extra E.Q. and maybe a little functionality of the RG2120X, the RG2020X is a bargain. I would highly recommend this guitar to everyone!!!! I had a fishman acoustic bridge equipped Carvin that didn't sound as nice as this one. The fishman was too "trebley", but this one out of the box just needed a little fine tuning of the strings, and it sounded awesome!!! Wonderful Transparent Blue with the Mohog trim. Pups are weak, but soon to be fixed with a new set of Br-TZ/N-PAFPro DiMarzios.

Ibanezrules plug ~~~~~C= (Kinda looks like one?)

Contact Rich, he is very reputable, and takes the time to get you the best guitar for your $$$. I've dealt with Rich three or four times so far, and everytime, he hits a home run. I catch him sometimes after a long night of internet searches, and answering his hundreds of daily emails, but he always makes time to talk. He gave me a SMOKIN' deal on this guitar, and would highly recommend you deal with him as well. Thanks Again RICH for hooking me up. I

will follow up this with some pix this upcoming week : )
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 04:00 PM
Vendor

RG2020XTB

There you are! I wrote you a followup asking if it was there yet, couldn't figure out the non responce. All sorted now :thumbsup:

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , air nortons , brian calvert , bridge pickup , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , john petrucci , neck pickup , neck position , norton neck , paf pro , paf pro combo , piezo system , pro combo , tone zone , tone zone bridge , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode