RG2027X Magnetic & Piezo at the Same Time - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

RG2027X Magnetic & Piezo at the Same Time

So...I'm not a proud 7-string owner yet, but as a 7-string is the only way to go for me (yeah, I'm bewitched ) I'm planning on buying a 2027 some time in the future. I'm slightly worried about the fact that you can't have dual output at the same time, especially since I'm in love with how the Parker Fly/NiteFly/whatnot works. Someone mentioned Dave Weiner's custom 2027, and on his page it said Ibanez couldn't do it, due to "impedance problems." Hrm. So, would it require a preamp or something? I remember on the old board, someone did something similar to his CST.

I'm planning on spending a couple of hundred bucks to get my old Aria Pro II in shape (the neck actually rocks once I've sanded it down a tad I'm sure); a Tone Zone and a L.R. Baggs *piezo bridge would do the trick (I'll try find a Warmoth baritone neck though...could prove to be a very interesting result . So that will hopefully tidy things over whilst waiting until I can afford a 2027 beast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 02:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Kevan got it done. Click here for details
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:00 PM

I still don't understand why everyone thinks having both outputs on at the same time is such a necessary thing.

I bought this guitar so I could play acoustic intros and middle sections in heavy songs without having to play a thin-sounding clean electric or drag an acoustic/electric on stage with it's own stand and all that...

I think Ibanez made the right choice here. *If I couldn't instantly switch back and forth between the two sounds, the piezo option wouldn't be viable.

I also feel the stock jack configuration is ideal - I can use one cable at band practice (which adds a bit of extra work, since I have to switch amp channels at the same time I engage the piezo) and for live gigs I can run a wireless to the board out of the piezo-only jack allowing instant switching from distortion to acoustic.

Altering this setup to allow simultaneous output would not be beneficial to me at all.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Woo...cheers! I guess I have to dig a bit deeper in those ol' posts to find these great morsels

Now the 2027 just got a wee bit better!

Ryan:

Have you ever heard a band called Pain of Salvation? The writer/lead guitarist/singer/lyricist Daniel GildenlŲw has a Parker NiteFly. His sound is unbelievably good. He plays with the mags through a bunch of rack effects and a rocktron fx and stuff, and plugs the piezos directly into the mixer with a plate reverb. And damn, that got me hooked. So, after playing a bit with a Parker, I really was in love...the soundscapes you can achieve is like...MAN!

You're saying you want to play acoustic intros and middle section in heavy songs...well, I don't see the concept of piezos to be strictly an acoustic guitar "emulator" so to speak...imagine you play those intros and middle sections with a clean channel on the mags with some reverb and a tiny wee bit of chorus or whatnot, and have a super clean, full-of-treble superimposed crystal clear piezo thingy going on at the same time...I'd be in heaven for sure

(Mixing distorsion and crystal clear piezos rock too...especially in solos and arpeggios you want to have really accentuated. At least IMO )
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I think having more "options" is good and for those that feel the urge go for the wiring change. I personally lean toward Ryan's stance on usage. I don't own a piezo guitar but if i did it would not be to play it simultaneously with the humbuckers. It would be to have two guitars in one selectable by a simple switch, which is how these guitars come from Ibanez. Either way enjoy... glen
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 05:08 PM

I'm really considering a 2027 too. I can understand wanting both outputs at the same time but I don't know how useful it would be.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 05:45 PM

I would think that having both outputs on would facilitate a foot switch option to choose between the pickups. That would be a good thing I guess. I always seem to fumble with switches on a guitar. I dive for a switch between strums and end up ripping the E string off or something.

Sadly, I donít (yet) own such a guitar, but if I did, I think I would be happy with more options.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 06:07 PM

What would be neat is two outputs that go into a volume pedal type deal that would let you balance between the two outs.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 06:17 PM

Reviews: 3

You could have the 2 outputs meet at an ABY box, and from the "out" on the ABY, go to a single volume pedal... I don't know if that's the goal you're trying to achieve or not... but it'd take away from having to switch outputs with your hands... AHHH... laziness!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 08:40 PM

Jeffrey, YES! I have been thinking about a ďbalanceĒ pedal for years. Having the ability to fade between rigs would be so awesome. *Maybe someone out there makes one. *I donít know. A/B switches are just so clunky sounding.

Itís one of those things that I think about a lot, but forget when Iím browsing the store.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:38 PM

Ya know Bob, that wouldn't be very hard to make I don't think.

Hrm.. I'ma dig a little on the subject.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:40 PM

The mesa V-Twin rackmount has that BLEND option on it for just this purpose....Clean and Dirty. * I had one for a while and couldn't find a decent sound to save my life. *I had to mix almost no dirt with the clean sound, rather than a really filthy sound with crystal clear *quack* behind it. *I wasn't impressed at all and sold the friggin' thing.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:42 PM

Well.. I'd personally have to think that mixing amp channels and mixing pickups are totally apples and oranges.

The same, yet very very different.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 12:32 AM

Quote: from jemsite on 2:25 pm on Dec. 15, 2000
"Kevan got it done."

Not quite, Glen. *Kevan *DID* it. *After many hours with both L.R. Baggs techs and Ibanez techs, and two nice burns on my index finger from the soldering iron, I figured it out and got it done. *Why the L.A. Custom Shop couldn't do Weiner's like I did my CST is still a stumper. *I understand the impedance issue (mag. vol.=500K; piezo vol.=100K), but my design uses the wiring from the (built-in) preamp- NOT the individual pots.

You need to come over sometime and try out the "both at once" setup. *It sounds amazing. *Most of that is courtesy of the amp- I can turn off the piezo channel, and leave the bulletproof gain on or vice versa, or use the foot controller to go between the two. *I can also have a third channel run the "sum" signal. *(I love my Cruise amp. *LOL) *I can do that using two cords. *With my wireless (mono), I have to do the switching on the guitar. *With some practice, I'll have it down to a science.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 11:14 AM

Does anyone have any comments on the sonic quality and shape of the piezo? How closely does it come to acoustic sounds? I realize there is no jumbo hollow body to be sympathetic with it, just *curious.

I'll try to get out later this weekend and try it out

Tags
acoustic amp , acoustic guitar , custom shop , dave weiner , expression pedal , foot switch , hollow body , parker fly , piezo bridge , tone zone , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode