RG2027XVV wiring - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

RG2027XVV wiring

Hello all,

today I recieved my RG2027XVV. Since I bought it used, I don't know if the wiring has been changed.

Could somebody please explain what the various knobs and buttons are _supposed_ to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:42 PM

Alright, I own one too, so here we go.

1. Volume Knob- this is the knob closest to your bridge. Serves as magnetic volume when in stereo mode (more on this) and master volume when in mono mode.
2. Piezo Volume/Blend Control- this is the knob that is DOWN and to the RIGHT of the volume knob. This serves as the piezo pickup volume when in stereo mode, and works as a blend control (between magnetic and piezo) when in mono mode.
3. Tone Knob- This knob is to the RIGHT of the volume and piezo volume controls, farthest back on the body. This controls the tone of the magnetic pickups.

4. 5-Way Pickup selector- this is the pickup selector switch that is just down from the volume knob. Selects what pickup(s) and their mode that you play with. Settings are...
1. Bridge Humbucker (All the way back, towards bridge, position)
2. Outer coils of both humbuckers (Strat "quack" sound)
3. Both humbuckers
4. Neck humbucker parallel mode (Sounds like a single coil, no hum tho)
5. Neck humbucker

5. 2-way selector switch- this is the little chrome switch in-between the volume and tone knobs. Selects between magnetic or piezo outputs (Mine has been replaced with a 3-way switch that allows for magnetic/both/piezo, so you can have both at once).

6. Output mode selector button- this is the little black push/push button that is just down from the selector switch. This determines whether your output is mono (just using ONE of your two outputs) or stereo (using BOTH of your outputs). In mono mode, if you use magnetic or piezo, either will be sent to the single output, and your MASTER VOLUME control will determine your overall volume, for either piezo or magnetics. The piezo volume then is a blend control. So, if you are playing the magnetic pickups through your amp, and then switch to piezo, wll, the piezo will come through your amp. Yuck, basically. In stereo mode, you can use one output (the FIRST one, going from neck to back is the default mono/magnetic output) for your magnetic pickups to your amp. You can use the SECOND output (in mono mode, this is dead. In stereo mode, it is piezo ONLY) to send your acoustic/piezo signal to an acoustic amp, or straight to a mixer etc. Then your volume controls will be seperate, and there will be no blend function per se. Both pickup types will have dedicated outputs. (As an aside, I play my guitar 99.9% of the time this way, and use dedicated processors for both outputs.)

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Wordwolf, you are the man!!!

On a side note, I have various USA Jacksons, this is my first Ibanez and I didn't expect too much to be honest.
Then when I got it yesterday I was almost shocked by the quality of this Instrument. The sound is awesome and the overall built quality is excellent.
I especially dig the neck, I felt comfortable right from the start. The fretting is excellent, something I cannot say about the Jackson SL1 I bought last year. An excellent buy, I'm pretty satisfied with myself!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:03 PM

NP. Great to help out a fellow RG2027'er. Great guitars.

As to quality, well, the 2027 is a Prestige model. Not a cheap Korean guitar (Must use disclaimers around here. No offense to cheap Korean guitars. Some are actually VERY nice guitars. In fact, I want to get a "cheap Korean guitar" myself, the Schecter C-7 Blackjack. ), but made IN Japan, and to Prestige specs. That's why the neck is so nice... Prestige necks get that extra hand finishing.

If you ever think about switching out the pickups, I'd recommend

NECK- DiMarzio, 1. Air Norton 7
2. PAF 7

Seymour Duncan 1. '59-7

BRIDGE- DiMarzio 1. EVO-7

Seymour Duncan 1. JB-7

Lundren 1. Meshuggah Model M pickup (Great sounding pup from what I've heard. Probably would work great in mahogany.)

Grrr. Darn editing
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:05 PM

EDIT- Double posted
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, the everlasting pickup question... maybe not a JB this time...

Actually I'm quite satisfied at the moment. This thing has sustain for days, must be due to the stiff
neck...
The pups have a somewhat low output, but since I play through a Powerball, I can live with it. I think
they sound good, a little weak, but they have an elegant sound to them, especially the neck pup (the
parallel mode is awesome).

If there will be a Humbucker from Hell 7, I might give it a try, though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:17 AM

I don't forsee a humbucker from hell 7, but ya never know I guess.

As for the stockers, yeah, I didn't think they were too bad. But the stock neck compared to an Air Norton 7? Not even close. The AN-7 is just perfect. Gorgeous sound. The bridge pickup was pretty nice... about equal with the TZ-7 I have in mine, albeit with a vastly different sound.

The Lundgren Model M might be SORT of like the HFH. It has some bite, and not alot of mids... sort of Hi-Fi, like a single coil, from what I've heard of it. Although with the power of a humbucker. Sucker's got a lot of bass, though. I'm thinking myself it's probably a perfect fit with the mahogany 2027, and esp. useful for downtuning. Clarity, and punch.

Tags
acoustic amp , air norton , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , korean guitar , magnetic pickups , neck humbucker , neck pup , pickup selector switch , piezo pickup , prestige necks , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode