RG2228GK, anyone got one? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

RG2228GK, anyone got one?

I'm very interested in this 8 string!!! Can't find an awful lot of info on it though, Ibanez don't even list the factory tuning. I think it is a 7 string with an extra high string, but I really want an extra low one! Does anyone know if it would be possible to set it up for (low to high) F# B E A D G B E? Maybe the nut would have to be re-cut for the fatter strings? Also anyone whos got one, how do they feel, what's the action like etc. Cheers peeps!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Re: RG2228GK, anyone got one?

it磗 tuned with an extra low string, tuned to F, yeah... and it doesen磘 come out on sale yet, does it? i can磘 remember the release date for those...
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Music 123 claims that they'll have them in by June 15.

To be honest, after getting a 30' scale BC Rich baritone and enjoying the hell out of it (low F is clear as a bell- most evil-sounding guitar I've ever played), combined with the persistent delays, my level of excitedness of the RG-8 has been in a freefall.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM

and speaking of scale, i磎 a little confused as to why ibanez opted for 27创scale, as the smallest scale that allows for properly tuning to a low F is 28创, concidering string inharmonicity... anything below that, and the string will be acting like a metal tube rather than a string... so yeah... it won磘 work properly, is what i磎 getting at here :P

all scale lengths have a limit as to how thick you strings can get before they are no longer acting like strings...

maybe they just use thinner strings, and have less tension?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm a bit puzzled by the 27" scale length myself, especially after playing a 30" scale baritone guitar, where the string gauges are 20-90 (or high teens to mid 80's, not sure) and basically at that point where anything lower than F would start diminishing in clarity. Granted, the variables with my guitar are the ebony fretboard, fairly resonant body, but awful stock pickup (I have a Bill Lawrence 500XL on its way to solve that problem).
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:08 PM

i磀 say the deepest one should go with a 27创scale guitar is G... which sounds great on that scale, although 28创would be better...

on 30创scale, i磀 say drop E is the lowest you should even consider going, and F would sound grrrreat (mmm cereal)

so yeah, you磖e right about that thing... also, i believe meshuggah uses a .75 for the low F on 30创scale guitars?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
i磀 say the deepest one should go with a 27创scale guitar is G... which sounds great on that scale, although 28创would be better...

on 30创scale, i磀 say drop E is the lowest you should even consider going, and F would sound grrrreat (mmm cereal)

so yeah, you磖e right about that thing... also, i believe meshuggah uses a .75 for the low F on 30创scale guitars?
On my Fan Fret Novax 8 , Ralph used 29" through to 25" across the 8 strings, taking the idea from the grand piano/harp and adapting it to guitar. The advantage is that the range of tunings and the number of strings force clear compromises over standard 7 and 8 string guitar, barritone guitar, and bass guitar construction. It's also easier to play, as the design takes the improved positioning of your hand, and fingers into account.

The fan fret idea has addresses all the problems and made these instruments, more playable, more practical and in my opinion more balanced across the range, as well as more interesting aesthetically. Stereo and a 5 way just adds to the experience.

If you are really serious about your 'sound', it's the way to go! Pickups from bartollini, dimarzio, s duncan, bare knuckle, and one i've forgotten the name of; more to the point Ralph will build you something more than just a guitar.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:57 PM

i磛e been wanting a 29创-24,5创 fanned fret 8 string for some time now, so yeah... i don磘 quite like the idea of separate pickups for the lower strings though, i want it to be an 8 string guitar, not like a guitar/bass combo...

one thing i think is strange too, btw, is that no-one has thought about making proper angled humbuckers for fanned fret instruments, like you move the two coils apart when angling it, so that the pole pieces for each coil line up perfectly, instead of the half-assed stuff going on at the moment, where they either don磘 angle them, use EMG磗 (pole-magnets), or angle the pickups, but not as much, so the strings are barely lining up with the pole pieces...

anyone else get what i mean with the angled pickups? :P
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 AM

That's because the lengths that the guitars fan from and to vary. Also, not everyone angles them.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 AM

WELLLLLLL..... Zakk plays Drop G on his Standard Gibson Scale LPs. And to the dude with an L-500XL, they sound amazing with low tunings.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

i just got my new ibanez 8 string today. i am the first person in colorado to recieve it because i paid it all up front. it's fantastic, i ordered the thing in early february and it was well worth the wait. it is a 27 inch scale, but it does not sound floppy on the low end at all-especially clean tone. it has a three way selection switch instead of a five, but that's all you need for the tone these emg's put out. the thing about the serial numbers is they have nothing to do with the order they were built, but my inspection tag has 0001 and then the serial number. they also made the neck with a valute (or thumb heel) for added neck stability which i like. the case they give with it is also specific to the model. it is a black alligator skin like outer material (seems very durable) and the inside is black crushed velvet with an INSANE amount of padding. it is very playable. in fact, the most surprising thing is that the action on this 8string is lower than my collection of personally setup 6strings, and yet it doesn't buzz.
i had a bad day until i got the phone call from the music store. I'd be happy to answer any other questions about my new axe if you got any. i imagine people should seeing as how ibanez has only given us one measly photo to stare at for the last 6 months.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitman1 View Post
i just got my new ibanez 8 string today. i am the first person in colorado to recieve it because i paid it all up front. it's fantastic, i ordered the thing in early february and it was well worth the wait. it is a 27 inch scale, but it does not sound floppy on the low end at all-especially clean tone. it has a three way selection switch instead of a five, but that's all you need for the tone these emg's put out. the thing about the serial numbers is they have nothing to do with the order they were built, but my inspection tag has 0001 and then the serial number. they also made the neck with a valute (or thumb heel) for added neck stability which i like. the case they give with it is also specific to the model. it is a black alligator skin like outer material (seems very durable) and the inside is black crushed velvet with an INSANE amount of padding. it is very playable. in fact, the most surprising thing is that the action on this 8string is lower than my collection of personally setup 6strings, and yet it doesn't buzz.
i had a bad day until i got the phone call from the music store. I'd be happy to answer any other questions about my new axe if you got any. i imagine people should seeing as how ibanez has only given us one measly photo to stare at for the last 6 months.
Congrats, Post some pics!
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM

Have you found the brown note on it yet?
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM

i will try and get pics up next week if i can borrow the girlfriends camera. as for the brown note, i've already **** myself twice.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 AM

Is the stock tuning a step down from standard?

And 'brown note'...?

Tags
amp settings , baritone guitar , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , ebony fretboard , ernie ball , fanned fret , guitar players , lower strings , music store , palm muting , reverse headstock , scale lengths , sounding guitar , steve vai , string bass , string gauges , string saddle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode