RG2550 doesn't stay in tune - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

RG2550 doesn't stay in tune

I just bought an Ibanez RG2550 with the Edge Pro Trem. I whammied it a good amount and it managed to stay in tune fairly well. However, I just noticed that when I bend the high strings (high E, B, and G) like a crazy madman, basically as hard as you can just to see what happens, it throws the guitar out of tune. But it throws out the Low E and Low A of all strings and badly. The guitar appears to be in really good shape, almost new (bought used), what could be the problem? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 AM

Re: RG2550 doesn't stay in tune

The first thought that entered my mine when reading your thread title was WRONG. I'd suggest a new set of strings and reading here http://www.jemsite.com/tech/ before messing with anything.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I've owned many guitars but this is my first floating trem. So, if set up properly it should withstand any degree of stringbending madness and whammy shennanigans? The strings could be pretty old, I don't know, so I'll change them and see what happens, but I'm a little worried, the guitar was thrown off tune BADLY.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Yeah, put on some new strings and make sure they are stretched PROPERLY!! Got to eliminate the simplest and easiest fix first!!

I own Edge, Lo-Pro and Edge Pro and they all stay in tune phenominally well!

This is a good place to generally start!!

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stretch.htm

From the Ibanez bible
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 PM

defintely go to Ibanezrules.com & read the tech tutorials, Rich know's his ****e.

In my experience with Edge Pro trems, (currently have two axes equipped with them) my tuning problems have always been Fat Knife edges. Once they're properly filed they stay in tune like a champ. Make sure you know what you're doing before attempting something like that. The knife edges on Edge Pro's can NOT be replaced (as far as I know) so you don't want to screw it up if you don't know what you're doing or are mechanically retarded.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM

Yeah - honestly, stretch your strings when you put new ones on... and STRETCH THEM WELL!!!!! That can not be stressed enough. Stretch them at every point that you can stretch them and do it probably 10 times over. You don't want to snap any strings, but if they have ANY room to stretch while you're string bending, whammying, etc., then every string will be out of tune when they do.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 AM

Do what andy7jem suggested and get yourself a pair of locking studs when you can... my RG2550 hasn't gone out of tune since.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I'll change the strings and see what the outcome is. As far as the knife edges go, I can't tell if they're worn because, I don't know what one is. But I doubt that because the guitar honestly looks like its barely been played at all.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Reviews: 21

You might do yourself a favor by taking it in to a proper guitar tech to have them look at it. Then, once it's fixed and you're playing a properly tuned and intonated guitar, take your time to learn how to set it up yourself.
Best of luck!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok. I changed the strings and it stayed in tune. For a while...

I didnt play the thing for about a month and then when I took it out of the case today to play, I noticed it was in tune with itself, but all the strings were flat by a semitone. So it went flat while sitting in the case. The angle of the trem isnt perfectly flush/even, but should that make that much of a difference. I can't see how this thing would be defective. It looks like its been played twice.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:50 PM

seriously, if you don't play a guitar for a month, things go out of tune...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 AM

Do you meen the strings go out of tune during the bend, or after? Because its normal for them to go flat while you bend one string. If its after bending a bunch, then it might just be a stretching problem, or you might have gotten a bad edge.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulacy View Post
seriously, if you don't play a guitar for a month, things go out of tune...
I don't necessarily agree. My black RG350 can stay in a gig bag for two months or so and I can take her out and she'll be relatively in tune. This is one of the reason I think Edge 3 gets a bad rap. Really, a good setup can work wonders.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Yes, I agree it is unusual for a guitar with a locking trem to go out of tune when left sitting for ages unplayed.

Have you read through Rich Harris' Ibanez Rules tech setup guide? I'd recommend that first. Considering the guitar is nice and new that's probably the cause; perhaps it's needing a good setup.

Failing that take the guitar to a tech.

'87

Tags
edge pro trems , high strings , locking stud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode