RG2550E: Cracked Fingerboard or just grain? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

RG2550E: Cracked Fingerboard or just grain?

I own several Prestige Ibanez's, and just bought an RG2550E new from an online retailer.

Does anyone have any ways to tell just by looking if a rosewood fingerboard is cracked or if it is just the grain?

The rosewood has a lot of grain showing, i.e. it isn't super smooth, and I don't know if it is just a long section of grain or what.

Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: RG2550E: Cracked Fingerboard or just grain?

Post some pictures and i am sure everyone will be glad to tell you what they think.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I would love to , but I am only on post number one and the board rules won't let me put the flcker URL link until I get to ten.

In the mean time, I have nine prestige's and all came with really dry boards.

Is this what most of you all have seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglover View Post
Post some pictures and i am sure everyone will be glad to tell you what they think.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Is this yours?

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4545423...th/4169906835/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 PM

That just looks like glue, or the fret didn't go in straight the first time they pressed it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM

my 2550's rosewood board looks like that too. it's not cracked, it just has a wider pore or something.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 6
Thumbs up Re: RG2550E: Cracked Fingerboard or just grain?

I would like to tell you i have an answer but i can only speculate. In my opinion the board looks o.k. but those are the biggest pores i have ever seen on a rosewood board. I own an old Japanese RG470L and it has a rosewood board and the wood looks similar but the pores on my board are nowhere close to that size!! This could be because of a lack of oil on the board, i would soak the board down in Lemon oil and see if the pores don't appear as much. The bottom line is you should talk to Rich Harris at a website called Ibanez rules, Rich will have an answer for you. If Rich doesn't know nobody does.: One last thing if it does not bother you when you play it, then it does not matter. I really just think you got an ugly piece of rosewood.

Last edited by rglover; 03-27-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: bad grammar
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglover View Post
I would like to tell you i have an answer but i can only speculate. In my opinion the board looks o.k. but those are the biggest pores i have ever seen on a rosewood board. I own an old Japanese RG470L and it has a rosewood board and the wood looks similar but the pores on my board are nowhere close to that size!! This could be because of a lack of oil on the board, i would soak the board down in Lemon oil and see if the pores don't appear as much. The bottom line is you should talk to Rich Harris at a website called Ibanez rules, Rich will have an answer for you. If Rich doesn't know nobody does.: One last thing if it does not bother you when you play it, then it does not matter. I really just think you got an ugly piece of rosewood.
There are many species of rosewood, some are more porous than others: Brazilian Rosewood used to be used for guitars, and is by far the best, it's now too rare and expensive. Honduran Rosewood is OK (not as good as Brazialian) but that's becoming less common. I believe Ibanez use Indian now which is widely available, cheap; but more porous than others. The board on my RGA321F is relatively porous too, not as good as he Rosewood on my Fenders.

That board is NOT cracked, and no amount of Lemon oil will make a significant difference to the porosity - it might swell the grain very slightly to make it less apparent, but not my much!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Yep, that is mine, thanks for linking to it. I have posted the question on a couple of boards.

I will relax then. I had never seen grain like that, but my RGA321 is a similar, but the pores are not as large.

It is not big deal to me, but since I just got it and have a 45-day return policy, I was going to send it back if it could be a problem, but I can live with it .

I appreciate everyone's help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM

dude, apart from looks it doesn't affect anything. deal with it lol.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM

You are just talking about the grain of the wood? That looks pretty much normal to me. Maybe a little dry. Remember, "Rosewood offers a strong, bright sound and an attractive appearance with a long grain."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode