To RG2550Z or not? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 39
To RG2550Z or not?

Ok...so I'm sitting on this PGM301 and simply the sound is not me...I've talked to a bunch of people and tried dialing in everything with my Mesa but it's still too "ice picky" for my sound, and as much as I love being seen with this guitar on stage, I think its time to move on.

I've loved the RG2550Z since I tested one, but I've also read alot of people complain about them too here on the forums (I have little opinion on the ZR vs. Edge argument, I think they are both fine trems...and in the end, the axe will probably end up with Dimarzios).

I'd also love a JPM1 or JPM2, but know probably not alot of people would be willing to come off one in favor of a PGM (i'm probably going to be looking to trade soon...)

Which do you guys think would be the superior axe?

I've never played a JPM, but lordy, it has to be awesome to be good enough for the Overlord

I've got that GAS and i'm itchin for a new neck to shred on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Vendor

Re: To RG2550Z or not?

If you do decide on a 2550, this one has just had a Gold package and is ready to ship at $1150 + shipping

http://www.ibanezrules.com/euro/rg2550mzgw.htm
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM

looking past the EZ vs edge argument, the 2550z is a superb instrument. it's basically an rg550 with an edge zero (i know some people here will bitch and moan about the differences, but let's be realistic). if it had an edge or a lo-pro, they'd be gods gift to man on this forum. mine stays in tune perfectly.

my 2550z has a paf pro in the neck, jem single coil and a tone zone in the bridge, so it's actually very close to a pgm. i love the sound of it. they're a big step up from the stock pickups. if you don't really like the tone of a pgm, put some different dimarzio's in it.

if you're comparing the petrucci sig to a gilbert sig, well, they're both awesome axes that serve different purposes.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Spam fail!

Thanks homebake: My biggest complaint with my PGM is certainly not the pickups, they are fire! Its the maple...It lacks the hearty sound of rosewood or ebony. Secondly, being hardwired straight to a volume knob does have a different sound. Its more pure and direct (which translates TOO directly with the Mesa). I LOVE the action; its so amazing, and it does sound supreme with my 5150, but my Boogie is my main rig.

Also, thanks Rich (I love your website!)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
Spam fail!

Thanks homebake: My biggest complaint with my PGM is certainly not the pickups, they are fire! Its the maple...It lacks the hearty sound of rosewood or ebony. Secondly, being hardwired straight to a volume knob does have a different sound. Its more pure and direct (which translates TOO directly with the Mesa). I LOVE the action; its so amazing, and it does sound supreme with my 5150, but my Boogie is my main rig.

Also, thanks Rich (I love your website!)
that is true. the 2550z has a rosewood board (the ones from 200 and a tone knob, so that would make a difference.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 AM

Answering the thread title, why not?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
looking past the EZ vs edge argument, the 2550z is a superb instrument. it's basically an rg550 with an edge zero (i know some people here will bitch and moan about the differences, but let's be realistic). if it had an edge or a lo-pro, they'd be gods gift to man on this forum. mine stays in tune perfectly.
Without the Edge vs EZ argument Homebake is right, it's a fantastic guitar and if anyone can get it to stay in tune it's Rich Harris so you might want to look at getting it from him anyway, even if you don't like the one he mentioned in this thread.

Thus if the EZ isn't something that bothers you, jump on a 2550Z and add new pickups. job done

I'd just add thogh that if your heart is set on a JPM, start saving a bit of extra cash and hold out for one of those as your heart won't be satisfied if you "settle" for an RG when you realy want a JPM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd just add thogh that if your heart is set on a JPM, start saving a bit of extra cash and hold out for one of those as your heart won't be satisfied if you "settle" for an RG when you realy want a JPM.
That's what I was thinking too...

Rich: I noticed you had a couple of JPM P1's in your used section...

I might just have to sell my Subaru Impreza RS and move on one of those bad boys! (hey, I could have enough left over to get a Mesa 4x12 to boot!) Question is...other than their fine fine looks, are they worth the extra thousand dollars in the long run for a hardcore player? This is a guitar that is going on tour with me and is going to be in all my promo shots in the future.

Thanks for the input guys!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
That's what I was thinking too...

Rich: I noticed you had a couple of JPM P1's in your used section...

I might just have to sell my Subaru Impreza RS and move on one of those bad boys! (hey, I could have enough left over to get a Mesa 4x12 to boot!) Question is...other than their fine fine looks, are they worth the extra thousand dollars in the long run for a hardcore player? This is a guitar that is going on tour with me and is going to be in all my promo shots in the future.

Thanks for the input guys!
Then I would choose something that doesn't make you look like a fanboy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Touchè, sir.

Perhaps a rad looking puzzle top!

(of course, I am a giant fanboy...)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

And I might not be able to forgive you for selling your RS!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

It's a GC8 2 door in alpine white, fully converted to STi version 5 specs. It'll fetch a pretty penny!

...I've got a '88 RX-7 GTU that I can get rid of too...i'm not too fond of it...

shoot...i'm just liquidating all kinds of stuff this Christmas!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:27 PM

So your PGM isn't doing it for you...and your considering a 2550z?

I'm no PGM expert, so tell me if I'm missing something here. A PGM is a H-S-H basswood RG and so is the 2550z. At best you're getting a side-grade and at worst a down-grade. I would think that if a PGM isn't working for you, any RG wouldn't work either. I'd think more about a pickup swap on your PGM, maybe switch the PAF Pro in the bridge for a Tone Zone to cure the ice picky sound?

Don't get me wrong, I love the 2550. I'd actually rather have it than a PGM if I had to make a choice. If you would too, then I'd go for it. I don't think you're going to rid yourself of anything you couldn't fix with a pickup change. Yeah, you may have played the 2550 and thought it sounded better, but it might only have been because the pickups aren't the same.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Ive been told by many about the Tone Zone as a viable upgrade...I played a RG3550MZ and it seemed to definitely have the ballz my PGM was lacking (I didn't test it on a Mesa though...).

On a side note: my local GC has a RG2770VV for an unreal low price (owned by a friend of mine) and I went and played it today...and dang if it didn't grab some attention. Stupid GAS...decisions decisions (oh, its Christmas time for meeee!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ibanez rg2550z nicest colour?
rg2550z black how
rg2550z black how

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode