RG2550Z or RG2550EX ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

RG2550Z or RG2550EX ?

I'm trying to decide between these two guitars, both available used for a similar price.

RG2550Z:
5-piece maple & walnut Wizard Prestige (58mm / 18mm / 20mm)
Edge Zero w/ ZPS3

RG2550EX:
3-piece maple Super Wizard Prestige (56mm / 17mm / 19mm)
Edge Pro

The Z is in pristine condition, but Wizard Prestiges were wider in 2009 than they used to be (58mm instead of 56mm at the last fret). The EX has a few chips/dings on the rear edges and some minor buckle rash.

They are both too far away to try before I buy and there is nowhere locally that I can test out bridges/necks on similar guitars. What I do know is that I actually quite like the Wizard II and Edge III on my Xiphos (my first Ibanez, so a big upgrade on what I was used to at time of purchase), but prefer the neck and ZR w/ ZPS2 bridge on my prestige Saber, which I bought later.

Which do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 AM
Mah

Re: RG2550Z or RG2550EX ?

Real man have to decide sometimes
It's all about condition.

Do not suggest. I'm leaning a little towards EX (got 2570EX) but I never had Edge Zero.
Read some topics about bridges and decide.

J.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 AM

Hi, not sure if you've already made your choice yet, but I've had a 2550EX for 12 years now so thought I'd comment.

A very good guitar, only complaint being the Cosmo finish on the hardware is very prone to corrosion and marring and therefore can look shabby (mine does), otherwise the hardware is tough. I think it boils down to which trem you prefer and which neck profile you'd feel more comfy with.

The neck on my '05 2550 is thinner than the later necks, I actually prefer them slightly thicker now. Personal preference only. Sometimes it feels just a bit too thin and I prefer the feel of my S1XXV which has a completely different profile.

My RG has the EP trem, the S1 the EZ. I personally have no beef with either and find both work well in use. I prefer the lower profile of the EP and the smoothness of its operation, however in fairness to the EZ I've never tried it without the ZPS and I've heard removing it can help things.

You pays your money and takes your choice... either way you'll get a good guitar that should serve you for years.

'87
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:37 AM

Have both. RG2550EX and RG2570Z (basically the same guitar but rear rout). Prefer the latter. Older necks although slimmer, have a very uncomfortable profile which can lead to painful playing experience. Don't really care about the bridge, they're both high end and if set up right, both will stay in tune forever. Prefer to have the ZPS removed for smoother trem action. In conclusion, get the latter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Get the ex because the edge pro is much better and made in japan unlike the edge zero that is made in china..

Tags
prestige , rg2550 , rg2550ex , rg2550z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode