RG26210BK - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

RG26210BK

hello:

I currently have an SG gothic with EMGs in it.
I really like this guitar, but after owning it for like 6 years, I am getting tired of its lack of versatility and feel that it is holding me back.

I am really interested in getting an Ibanez again. I used to have an RG220 but I sold it because the bridge was terrible and kept going out of tune.

I like black guitars and ebony fretboards and no inlays and I like to get different sounds out of my guitar (not possible with my SG w/ EMGs...)

At first I wanted to make up for my guitar's versatility, so I was looking for something with the Jem configuration where I could tap a single coil, etc.

I was thinking of getting something like the RG 1570, swapping the pickups and neck and swirling it or painting it (maybe jemming it up).

Then I saw the RG2610..... with a new blank ebony neck... it would be PERFECT...The 1570 would have to go through a lot before I started to like it aesthetically.

however... one pickup is not very versatile.

Can you help me with the following please:

1. help me make up my mind about which guitar to get. Has anybody played the RG2610BK?

2. How much do you think it would cost to swap out the neck fpr a blank ebony board? (I hate rosewood and I hate inlays) What do I have to look for in a neck? Where would you get this work done?

3. And lastly: is the pickup that comes with the RG2610 versatile enough to play some cleans and blues and maybe (pushing it).. some jazz?

I know that I sound a little retarded.... I'm looking for versatility... so I go after the one-pickup in the new most unpopular color (black)... yes, retarded.. but this guitar looks great...and it is in my budget.

I'm thinking of having a neck sent to rich and getting the guitar from him.

In the near future (if a scholarship comes through) I would also like to get an RG 1527 so that may make up for versatility....

Thanks guys.. I know I asked a lot of questions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG26210BK

Oh yeah, by "what do I have to look for in a neck" I mean that I don't know much about necks and don't know if the custom dealers make them as well as ibanez. How do I go about figuring out the shape I want?
I just know that I want ebony with white binding and no inlays (i'm all appearance, no substance haha)...
what about 5 piece wood etc?

thanks guys
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

BUMP
Blondes or Brunette?

come on guys... I know I rambled.. I know I ramble....but would someone with a more experience than me help me make the right choice?

I bet you would answer if I were Amazin.... :P

thanks for any input.
axayacatl
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 AM

i like the RG2610e (assuming that is the model you are talking about - you put RG26210 in the heading?).
i wouldn't expect a one humbucker guitar to handle such a long list of duties. it could do quite a bit but that would be up to the player to wrangle that out of it but still probably not a guitar you could cover such a broad range of styles.
lots of other models out there that would better suit what you want. order an RG550 20th in black. $100 less and it is a very desireable collectable axe that would be a perfect workhorse for years to come and handle most any style of music as well as be a blast to change the color scheme with.
with all that said i want an RG2610e but plan to wait until after i get a new Mesa Express 5:50 this summer.

*i just read you opinion of rosewood. get a custom from one of our vendors here (they will happily answer ALL your questions about necks and other options) or get on the waiting list for Christopher Woods. i would still say get the RG550 20th and just have a neck made with an ebony board. it would be worth it if you REALLY want the ebony so bad. just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks for the advice!
I guess the only way to make the guitar versatile would be to get a pickup that cleans up nicely when I roll back the volume (EMGs do NOT do this).

The RG550 is not a bad idea but I think I prefer the neck joint on the RG2610e.

I'll think about it a little more. I want versatility, but the RG2610 seems irresistible (that and Jacksons new RR24).

Let me/us know when you get the RG2610 and give us a review!!!

I'll look into the Christopher Woods necks.

axayacatl
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 PM

i had a 2620. if your into Ibanez its great.
and it has amazing cleans.
and i tried some blues and jazz,
its overpriced. so i would get something cheaper.
like a RG1570 or a old RG550 there all good but the 2620 is a bit overpriced.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM

you could always just have the RG2610 routed for additional pickups. That would pretty much solve your problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM

you're very welcome.
an RG1570 is the best bang for the buck in new RG's for quality and price. add another neck with ebony and you will still come out at the same price of the RG2610. pickups will put you a little over that but in the long run it would be worth it to have what you want.
a full on custom can be had for fair prices as well. lots of good and reputable people out there. start with our vendors and branch out to learn as much as possible.
customizing and RG1570 would still be a great idea IMHO for the $.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 PM

^ thats the way to go man!
RG1570 is about usd750
pickups... neck.
you will end up at about a lil over a 1,000.
the 2620 cost 1,200 new ,
so go with the RG1570.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM

the RG2610 is bound rosewood on the fretboard and the RG2620 is also rosewood. not sure if you were saying the 2610 has ebony? i doubt ANY Ibanez models are still made with ebony boards.
RG2610e = $999 USD
RG2620 = $879 USD
RG1570 = $749 USD

not sure where the $1200 price comes from?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into the 1570 now, though I'm still torn between it and the 2620..... I'll definitely post when I have something completed.

Tags
christopher woods , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , ebony neck , humbucker guitar , ibanez models , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode