RG270 neck versus 570 neck? - how close are the wizard and w - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

RG270 neck versus 570 neck? - how close are the wizard and w

my RG has a Wizard II neck, and i want a wizard neck. getting a neck is no problemo (i know its a waste of money lol) but as far as the hell shape size ect goes, how well will a wizard neck fit on a guitar made for a wizard II? will it be a direct swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 06:11 PM

RG270 neck versus 570 neck?

don't bother dude. The differences are minor enough that it's a major waste of money, IMHO.

Besides, the 270's Korean, the 570 is Japanese.....you may have a fit issue there. I could be wrong.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 01:56 AM

waste of money not necessarily
First off the neck joints are slightly different. *I think the korean sits higher off the body than the other. *Im gonna go ahead and say this and I know Im gonna get flamed for it, but the wizard 1 neck is just too darn small and flimsy. *The jem necks are rather large, so to get more of that feel go ahead and keep your wizard two neck. *They are more stable and you wont have setup problems. *What you could spend your money on is a fret or scallop job. *Both in my opinon would make a one of a kind stable necked guitar. * If your thinkin about just replacin the neck, try modding the neck first. * Strip the finish off it and change the profile a little then use a wood polishing kit you can get at any wal-mart in the wood finishing section. *use that and then use your fave oil of choice and now youve got somethin way cooler than a standard neck. *I do this mod on all my guitars, and usually just soak em in lemon oil. *LOL *They need regular cleaning, and oiled bout every other month or so. *It will remind you of the feel of the music man necks. *They use gunstock oil and wax to finish the necks on those. *its all about taste.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

that aint a half bad idea, will changing the profile of the neck slightly change the sound of the guitar? cuz i dont really wanna gamble. used wII necks are hard to come by lol. *i actually was however thinking of having a fret job done and putting in slightly higher frets. mebe even stainless cuz i dont bend strings much. thanks for the info!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 12:38 PM

Actually beetle, Ive never seen it hurt the tone of the guitar, and also many of us at the site prefer the feel of this mod. *If you think about the characteristics of tone as well, nothing will dampen a vibrating peice of organic material, more than a thick coat, of gloss laquer, etc. * This is a mod you can make how you want. *If you dont like one shape, trim it some more. *I think the wood polishing kit is essential as it gives you that 20 year old really broken in feel to me. *If you want to go ahead and change the frets Id go with anything by dunlop perhaps 6100, 6120, *I forgot which size yngwie used you might like those as they are in my opinion the very easiest to fret. *Scalloping the neck on the other hand will affect the tone, as the loss of wood is huge, but many really dig this mod, and I would think it would make your rg more versatile. *Send me some pics when your done, cause I LOVE custom guitars
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Jack, i think im going to do that neck mod after all. not much, but juuuuuuuuust a little sanding, maybe some fine planing to think it out juuuuust a we bit, but keeping it rounded so it fits the hand nicely. and when i get some money im definitly having slightly higher frets put on. It was fine with 9s but now that i play on 10s they just dont feel right. I dont like the idea of scalloping, i think it looks pretty goofy, but then again ive never actually played a guitar with a scallped neck so i might give it a whirl if i find one in the shop someday. and im actually really interested to tryout this wood polishing kit, i dont like really thick glossy finishes on the neck, i like a more satiny feel that my hand glides across. with most glossy finishes it becomes a pain to play fast when your hand gets a little sweaty.
thanks for the input!

BTW, im also trying out like 3 different pickups, and swapping out the tremolo (retro fitting an Edge or a Lo-Pro in) and im taking pictures of the entire process. ill make a post of the photos when its all done

(Edited by BZ Beetle at 5:01 pm on Jan. 25, 2002)

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , jem neck , neck joint , neck joints , standard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode