rg2ex1 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

rg2ex1

does anyone have any info on this guitar? i saw it at guitar center, but they didn't have any specs on it :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:02 PM

Re: rg2ex1

The RG2EX1 I believe was a custom limited run of RG2xx or RG3xx models in a different color. Guitar Center usually gets some special models for thier shops, but I don't recall the RG2EX1 to be anything spectacular.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 PM

wizard two neck with binding, fixed bridge, basswood body(I believe), passive emg pickups, matching headstock on most I believe, at least the white one forsure. Made in either korea or indoensia, There is a 3ex model as well, that have quilt tops and matching headstocks but are the same as the 2ex otherwise. My guitar center has at least 4 different models left of them. $299 2ex, $399ex.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 03:18 AM

I've seen them but am not sure about the specs although I'd believe the neck dimensions are Wizard II and the body is RG dimensions. Other than that, just cheap hardware and construction. They are a GC special so you won't find them on Ibanez web site.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:17 AM

Also, I'm pretty sure that they're made in China (which is even lower down the ladder than Indonesia). I've yet to have the opportunity to go to a GC and check them out personally to examine the craftsmanship but for those prices you're probably getting what you pay for...more or less. I'll take an RG321MH over those guitars anyday, though. Atleast then I KNOW that i'm getting a good guitar for a great price instead of a mediocre guitar for an average price.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM

i am pretty sure its indonesia. its a
gc exclusive specs are near identical to the rg321. wood and pickups are the main difference. me personally, my rg321 kills em. they are "prettier" than the rg321, but the simple looks and tone is the rg321's strong points. not to forget the price!!!

rich
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 PM

They are Indonesian. They look really nice though, lots of binding and such, but to me they felt, well, Indonesian. The neck just felt cheap, the fret tangs were hanging off the sides so you'd cut yourself if you tried a fast run. For the money, you can find a used Japanese RG421 on evilbay and you'd be a lot happier, or even the RG321s are better, IMO.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 PM

I picked up a RG3ex1

It is about the same guitar as the mh321 -

While the mh321 has a mahagony body the rg2/3 have baswood with a maple top

Build quality is about the same for both guitars (both are made in indonesia)

I picked the RG3 because I dislike mahagony, I like the rg3ex1's quilted top and it has cosmo black hardware...

I played 5 rg3's and 2 rg2's - didnt notice any real fret dressing issues on any of the ones i tried (Certainly nothing that would/could cut you hands)

The emg designed pups sound decent but do not have a lot of output, still was quite easy to get good clean and distorted tone.

The guitar has really good sustain.

The RG3EX1 is easily worth the $400 I payed for it. I have played guitars costing much more that were a lot worse. Is it Prestige level quality? - no (Tuners are pretty cheap, Neck is 3 layer, ) but none the less a very servicable guitar. I will probably swap out the bridge Pickup on mine (I actully like the neck pick up)

If your trying to save a few $$ then buy a mh321
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:31 PM

Well that's good to know. I've actually heard pretty good things about the RG3EX's and they seem like they're easily worth the $400. Of course, I just LOVE my RG321MH to death because mahogany is where it's at for me and the simpleness of it was very appealing.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Reviews: 1

Every once in a while, one of those GC specials shows up on the bay and the seller will have a BIN of, like, $800!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:09 AM

Well since people keep talking about them, then I can only assume that GC got more than one shipment of them per store.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 AM

I had GC order me a RG3ex 'cuz the one they had was pretty beat up and the guy had a hard time finding any from another store so he just put in a order from ibanez instead. He said they are fairly hard to find at a lot of the GC and he is a guy I've been getting to know pretty well. Don't know if he is actually right on this one or not though.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:50 AM

I just got the RG3EX1. I got it at guitar center for $275. It had a little ding on the headstock so I got to haggle. I'm happy with it. I was looking at the 321s but every one I tried out played like crap. Probably just the way it was set up though. I just wanted a cheap fixed bridge guitar. I'll get some pictures, and a little more info about it up this weekend.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 PM

which color did you get?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Reviews: 1

I picked up a used RG470, fixed bridge, with case for $188 on the bay!

HSH config (with cool 2 & 4 positions), basswood bod, it rules!

I would love to get more of them, although I'm still considering a 321.

I've seen guys on the bay trying to sell those GC specials with $800 BINs.

Tags
basswood body , bridge pickup , coil split , cosmo black hardware , distorted tone , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , ibanez pickups , jeff beck , neck dimensions , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode