RG3120 high e string problem! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

RG3120 high e string problem!

The high e string on my RG3120 is much closer to edge of the frets than the low e string causing the string slip off the fretboard with even the smallest amount of vibrato or slight mis-fret.

This has driven me to the point where I've considered selling the guitar because it is so frustrating, but before I do, does ANYONE have a suggestion on how this can be fixed? The trem and nut are set up correctly as is the true rod. The neck also appears very straight.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as this is starting to become a deal breaker with this guitar even though I love every other aspect of playing it. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 PM

Re: RG3120 high e string problem!

There is normally some room for adjustment if you loosen the neck screws. Loosen the strings first.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_6.htm
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilln2music View Post
The high e string on my RG3120 is much closer to edge of the frets than the low e string causing the string slip off the fretboard with even the smallest amount of vibrato or slight mis-fret.
yup... it's a very thin neck.. happens to me too. I thought it was due to my specific guitar but then it seems to be a more generic thing.

I kinda adjusted to it though.. but I don't apply lots of vibrato on the high E
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:00 AM
Banned

My uv70p had the same problem. The cause was that due to the design of the AANJ there is less resistance on the treble side than the bass side, so the neck has the tendency to "fall" down a bit. The solution as just4kinks said is to loosen the strings and then unscrew the neck bolts, re-align and then screw tight (but not way too tight). I measured my clearance between neck heel pocket on the treble side and the neck heel and it is constantly about 0.1mm, which is a sign of a permanent fix, no matter the wild dives, pull ups, etc...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:22 AM

I got one guitar exactly like this, neck pocket is really tight, no room for adjustment.
found out that the source of the problem was the tremolo pivot is 1mm away to the right from where it should be.
Well, I'd guess I've got a lemon.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I got one guitar exactly like this, neck pocket is really tight, no room for adjustment.
found out that the source of the problem was the tremolo pivot is 1mm away to the right from where it should be.
Well, I'd guess I've got a lemon.
Just by very lightly sanding the neck pocket to create room for the bass side of the heel, might prove enough to fix the problem without plugging re-drilling for the trem inserts. You might want to collect the dust from the sanding and glue it to the treble side of the neck, or keep it safely in its case if you feel paranoid enough
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Just by very lightly sanding the neck pocket to create room for the bass side of the heel, might prove enough to fix the problem without plugging re-drilling for the trem inserts. You might want to collect the dust from the sanding and glue it to the treble side of the neck, or keep it safely in its case if you feel paranoid enough
there is a less headache and less pain way to do this man....

sell the guitar... LOL
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Banned

^^^ Kids these days, looking for the easy way out!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM

it happened that my guitar with that kind of problem is my less significant guitar.
I don't plan to keep it forever, so this minor defect just adding another reason for its earlier departure..
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Happens to me from time to time on my RGT3020. i feel like the neck is narrower than on other guitars.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I did try realigning the neck in the pocket but there is no play in the pocket to move the neck. Has anyone successfully tried sanding the pocket on the treble side to "cheat" the neck towards the treble side?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't recommend an amateur sanding the pocket, especially mahogany for the first time. Not that you can't do it.

I'd pull the trem out [with the strings on], take the strings off, and take it to Home Depot or Lowes and find a good pair of "cutting pliers". Grip the locator [curved] knife edge flush along the inside edge next to the saddle, and bite down hard before you pry the knife outward. Make sure the pliers are not slipping before prying, you only get one good shot at it virgin, and if you slide across the knife and it doesn't move, it will gouge and be very difficult to get good enough grip on it again. There is a detent in the knife that keeps it tight and it requires force to break the tension. You only need 1/2mm, but it's easy to tap it in if it's out too far when you install again.

That's the easiest way to fix that guitar.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wouldn't recommend an amateur sanding the pocket, especially mahogany for the first time. Not that you can't do it.

I'd pull the trem out [with the strings on], take the strings off, and take it to Home Depot or Lowes and find a good pair of "cutting pliers". Grip the locator [curved] knife edge flush along the inside edge next to the saddle, and bite down hard before you pry the knife outward. Make sure the pliers are not slipping before prying, you only get one good shot at it virgin, and if you slide across the knife and it doesn't move, it will gouge and be very difficult to get good enough grip on it again. There is a detent in the knife that keeps it tight and it requires force to break the tension. You only need 1/2mm, but it's easy to tap it in if it's out too far when you install again.

That's the easiest way to fix that guitar.
Awesome idea man, I've never even thought of trying to move an insert for alignment issues.......brilliant!

Do you use Dykes or or something like a fence nip?

OR
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Vendor

cutting pliers

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Banned

nice trick indeed.

Tags
rg 3120 , rg prestige , rg3120

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode