RG3120 pickup route question? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

RG3120 pickup route question?

Hi -

I'm getting a RG3120 next week without any pickups and before i buy some new ones, does anyone know what the pickup depth is? I know these are direct-mounted pickups and want to make sure any pickups i buy will fit, depth-wise (learned the hard way with my mij charvel san dimas when trying to fit the duncan distortion).

The pickups in questions are Dimarzio Evo2 (F-spaced or not depending) and Fred (F-spaced) in the neck.

Thanks in advanced,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Re: RG3120 pickup route question?

The routes are plenty deep for any DiMarzio. The only thing I've ever had issues with is trying to reuse foam. The EVO 2 is a taller pickup than a FRED or many other DiMarzios. On direct mounts, the pickups are held up by foam. So you may have to use different foam.

I just ran into that this morning with an RGD2127Z. The stock V77 and V78 pickups are much shorter than the Illuminator 7's I was trying to put in there. When I went to reuse the foam, the Illuminators were sticking way up. Had to cut some new foam.

I ordered some self-adhesive foam from this place:
http://salamanderpaddlegear.com/prod...-minicell-foam

I ordered both 1/4" and 1/2" thick foam. I really wish they had 3/8", but I've fudged that by using some other thin foam at the bottom of the pickup cavity. Craft foam sheets I got at Michael's.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The routes are plenty deep for any DiMarzio. The only thing I've ever had issues with is trying to reuse foam. The EVO 2 is a taller pickup than a FRED or many other DiMarzios. On direct mounts, the pickups are held up by foam. So you may have to use different foam.

I just ran into that this morning with an RGD2127Z. The stock V77 and V78 pickups are much shorter than the Illuminator 7's I was trying to put in there. When I went to reuse the foam, the Illuminators were sticking way up. Had to cut some new foam.

I ordered some self-adhesive foam from this place:
http://salamanderpaddlegear.com/prod...-minicell-foam

I ordered both 1/4" and 1/2" thick foam. I really wish they had 3/8", but I've fudged that by using some other thin foam at the bottom of the pickup cavity. Craft foam sheets I got at Michael's.

Thanks again! You helped me on my other posts as well!
That's good to know about the depth, i found a used F-spaced Fred for cheap that i want to buy but wanted to check out depths first. I already have the Distortion but if i can sell my illuminator neck, i'll buy the Evo2 for it!
I've been using this foam with no issues so far:
http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Weather.../dp/B000BQMMVI

Jeff
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 05:36 PM

FRED is a shorter height pickup. You can use thick foam on that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode