RG3120 v. USRG30 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

RG3120 v. USRG30

Normally I don't post this kind of question since I'd rather go out and play the instruments to compare / contrast... however, there isn't a USRG30 around for me to test drive.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about buying another guitar to join my JemDBK and Parker NiteFly. I love the DBK, but I can deal with thicker necks too.
I need another locking-trem guitar to backup the DBK.

Anyhow, it's really between these 2- the RG3120 and the USRG30. Any pros/cons between the 2? Value? Playability? Tone? Maintennance?

(and don't bother suggesting an RGT3120- I'm looking in a lower price range for heaven's sakes!)

Thanks,

Ben

(edited out classified request by jemsite)
(thanks Glen- what would I do without you :P )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 03:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
The RG3120 is mahogany w/ a flame maple top
The USRGs are alder w/ a quilt maple top

RG3120 come in blue or red
USRG30 come in many more colors

same pickups

RG3120 has a prestige wizard neck
USRGs have the tension-free neck (wizard-ish proportions)

You can buy the 3120 from a dealer, whereas the USRG must be found used. At the same price and condition, i'd probably take the USRG myself, but both are excellent... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 3
I'll second Glen on this one.

Yeah, you have to find one used and such, and it may have some cosmetic flaws due to years of use, but hey it's a guitar mean to be played. Not some pretty thing meant only for looks. Sure, 3120s are GREAT guitars...but for the features and price difference you cant go wrong with the usrg 30. I love the feel of the neck, plus you get a little something the 3120 doesn't...NO, Im not talking about theremovable headstock, no, not the quilt top, no, not more colour choices (depending on how hard you look) but neck binding. Ew...I LOVE neck binding. It's only cosmetic, but it looks and even feels really classy. Plus I really like the tone of alder. You can find a good used rg 30 for around the 4-650 dollar range..sure beats 900 used on something that I feel has a little less to offer. Just my opinion.

Christopher
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys- I appreciate it!
Unfortunately it's down to putting gutters on the house or a new guitar so the guitar will have to wait until Fall or Winter, but I know what I'm a' gettin' when I have the scratch.

Thanks again,
Ben
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:28 PM

I've only played one USRG30 (and kick myself in the rear end for not buying it), but own a USRG10, I'd take it over the RG3120's I've played, now I've never owned a 3120, so I can't say that I've got quality time spent with one..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:56 PM

I've own both and I kept my usrgs over the rg3120. But to tell the truth about it you should be happy with either guitar, both are rather nice. Of course it's not important till you get up the money again.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input too, stratcat and winterlong.

Could anyone clue me in a bit on the TONAL differences though... Glen- you basically gave me spec sheets on both, but I was looking for more of your own subjective experiences- perhaps why you liked the USRG over the 3120 (neck, tone, comfort, etc.)

Thanks again,
Ben
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 04:50 AM

Ok the the 3120 is a good bitter warmer of guitar. Usrg is brighter. 3120 not as tight well as the usrg very tight. Lets say that yuo are going to play some complex chord shape, well on the usrg the note definition is very strong. most times you easily can make out all the notes well on the 3120 you may have more trouble. the 3120 has a musical sound well the usrg is super clean, but not as musical. And as lows go the 3120 has better lows but the usrg has tighter low end. Really they could not be much more different considering that they have so much in common.

Also the tension free neck is solid as a rock. More notes on on the necks. The usrg has a gloss finish, but is very smooth and not sticky. Well the 3120 has a more natural oil finish, which is very nice to the touch and smooth. Both necks are about the same size.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 02:24 PM

Winterlong...I know what you mean about the 3120 not being as tight sounding. While I've never had a USRG to compare with (but finally, I have ont on the way!), I did find the 3120 less tight sounding than my TX Presitge guitars...even thought they are quite similar (mahogany/maple). maybe it was the ebony board on the TX? Anyway, with a really close comparison, the 3120's single notes sounded a bit fizzier...but still a great guitar.

Are you saying the USRG is less musical clean?
Greg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 08:51 PM

Really the usrgs are very clean and tight . So by less musical I ment that there sound is just a little bland. Not as complex.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'd like to thank all of you... you helped me make my decision.
I just purchased a '94 USRG30TP for $550 w/case. No scratches, dings, pitting, or modifications. Beautiful color & quilt on the body and headstock. I should have it in my hands by the end of the week. I liked my trans-purple PRS, but didn't care for the way it sounded and played... now I have the best of both worlds...a great looking, sounding, and playing guitar (hopefully!).

Thank you all again...

-Ben
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 06:02 AM

Hope you like it. They really are great guitars. So please let all of us know what you think of it when you get it. Also if you have questions once you get it I'll be glad to answer them.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Excellent- I'll definately share my thoughts on it once I get it... and maybe some pics too when I get a chance to clean it.

And thanks for the offer to answer questions, winterlong. I'll probably be contacting you after I get it.

-Ben
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Here's a quick picture... s/n US1194002
She needs a bit of work (replace a broken humbucker, replace trem posts) but the body and neck are in excellent shape- just light pick swirling on the front- nothing on the back, no scratches or dings. A bit of wear on the trem, but no serious pitting issues. And the neck joint is correct!
From the limited amount I've been able to play this guitar, it sounds and plays amazingly. Can't wait 'till I have it set up properly.

Do you think it would be gaudy to put in violet/black humbuckers (outer coils violet, inner coils black)?

Thanks again for all your advice and help.

-Ben
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:59 AM

Looks great...congrats, Ben. Still need to set up my USRG30 greenie as well. IMHO purple pups would look bad, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Greg

Tags
ebony board , flame maple , inner coils , neck binding , neck joint , playing guitar , prestige wizard , prestige wizard neck , thicker necks , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode