RG3120 vs. *RGT3120 - on playability - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

RG3120 vs. *RGT3120 - on playability

I have been searching for an RG3120TW for the longest time now but its been about two months and I still haven't found one that has a standard straight or somewhat angled flame top with a nice dark blue color (I know its my fault for being so picky). *Lately I have been looking at the RGT3120's as an alternative but seeming as I wont be able to play one before I make my decision (no one in my area has them) I was wondering if anyone owns both RGT3120 and RG3120 and could give me thier opinion about which one sounds and plays better and why. *Considering the rg2020X is my absolute favorite ibanez guitar it seems that the RGT (having the ultra neck as it does) would make a better choice, I am just not to sure about buying a guitar without playing it first. *Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 10:08 PM

RG3120 vs. *RGT3120

As a proud new owner of the rgt3120 and I have played the rg3120 bolt on, don't fear my friend, get the RGT. The neck has impressed me the most, I absolutely love it. I had to get use to it but it has since become my favorite neck shape of any model guitar I've played(I've playd tons). IMO it sounds better than a 3120 bolt-on, feels more solid, looks to kill on my rgt-dark-brown. I really like the new chrome color... and the neck binding is sweet in contrast to the dark brown. I'd make love to this guitar if we were atomically compatible :-)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 10:31 PM

RG3120 vs. *RGT3120

I can chime in here with Brian...I also have had the good fortune of acquiring an RGT3120DB, and have been extremely happy with it. *I've also had a 3120 in DR and more recently in TW. *The 3120s are excellent guitars, but if you like the Ultra, the RGT gets the vote. *If cost is a factor, the 3120 is a great value (around $700 used), but the RGT, as Brian said, has a solid feel. *The RGT has a gloss neck, which may or may not be OK with you.

The tone of the neck-through is different. *I've been trying to articulate it, but not sure if I can. *Chords seem punchier, and single notes seem to be fatter & sustainier sounding, whereas with a bolt you get more snap & quack, with livelier pinch harmonics. *Hope some of this helps. *I'd be curious to hear other's impressions of bolt v. through tone.
Greg
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 02:45 PM

I will concur with gklem on the tone. The tone is so much thicker (than say my VWH) especially when I put 10s on the RGT.
Out,
GP
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 06:29 PM

I don't knock bolt-on guitars at all, cause most of my favorites are bolt-ons, however co,mon since tells ya a neck-thru is goin to sound different, especially when the center block is maple. That said, after I had time to setup the guitar to my tastes and dial in some awesome tones on the amp, this guitar rocks with the a huge R. Thought I might have to change the pups, but I've since changed my mind and tamed the beast, or maybe it tamed me, any how... I hope the RGT line gets somemore options to it, so I can buy more! :-)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:51 PM

Interesting...I've had a similar experience with the PAF-Pros. Didn't really like it on the neck of the RG3120, but they are starting to sound better to me on the RGT.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 10:22 PM

You know, I've had a PMC Jem, which had paf pros in neck and bridge position. My JS 1000 has a paf pro in the neck. The RGT in the neck and bridge, and the paf pro sounds NOTHING alike in any of these guitars. But I like the sound of the paf pros in all of them. Very interresting....

Have I mentioned selling my PMC was a HUGE mistake?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I think I have made up my mind. Although many of you have advocated the purchase of an RGT over the original RG3120 I think I am going to stay with a standard and go with the bolt-on. The rgt is very beautiful and seems to have everything I am looking for but I really have never liked the feeling of a glossy neck (it always makes me think of plastic, sort of a low-quality feel; I know is the opposite impression that a thru-neck guitar should have on a person). I know it could be sanded off but I dont think I would ever feel comfortable taking steel wool to that nice of a guitar, plus I really dont care for the neck-thru design (I actually would prefer bolt-on). Also, to be honest I like the twilight blue color of the RG3120 better. I am sure that the RGT's are great guitars but I think I would be perfectly happy with the orignal 3120 plus its a bit cheaper. Anyway, thanks for all of your input.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 12:19 AM

Glad we could help... though I'm suprised you chose to stick with the original, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm almost sure if you could play an rgt you'd love it, however for some reason alot of ppl are hating the gloss neck. Personaly, I can play about anything, I like the gloss neck only for piece of mind, I've read where a gloss neck is much more unlikely to have issues from weather affecting it. There aren't any necks that come to mind that I hated excpet the Peavey... I played a cropper once and I know i'd never get use that feeling...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 12:42 AM

Good deal, Soloist...glad you're gaining clarity.

Since I've preferred satin necks for a long time now, I thought the gloss would be more of an issue for me, but it's turned out not to be. Then again, I cut my teeth on Gibsons years ago, so I have a track record (albeit and old one).
Greg

Tags
bridge position , neck binding , neck shape , paf pro , paf pros , pinch harmonics , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode