RG3120 vs RG2020xtb - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

RG3120 vs RG2020xtb

Hey guys. I searched for this info, but the latest topic on this I saw was in 2001 so figured I'd start a fresh one. Basically, been looking for a guitar to pair with my RG3120. I bought a Jackson RR-24 only to realize it wasn't what I was really looking for, and someone is offering an RG2020xtb for it (with case, goodies).

Basically the information I'd like to know is just a few questions. Obviously I will change the pickups, but with a Piezo involved will the wiring and installation be tougher than a normal swap?

Also, about the necks. I'm not really sure about what neck the 2020 has on it, but I assume my Prestige has the Wizard Prestige neck? How similar is the 2020 to 3120? I heard it was a little fatter, but is it fat like a Schecter or Les Paul neck or just very slightly beefier?

One question I do have is what the market is like on RG2020xtbs. For instance, what did they originally retail for? How's the used market? Price isn't a big issue for me, but it's still something that sticks in my mind.

Lastly, would you guys recommend this guitar as a great guitar to pair up with my 3120? I either want a guitar as a backup or a guitar slightly better to use as my main, I don't really want something that's a lot less quality. So what are your opinions on this axe?

Thanks for answering guys, looking forward to this guitar, just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM

Re: RG3120 vs RG2020xtb

Yes, the wiring will be a bit harder, but really not a problem if you are a bit used to soldering and wiring.

The necks on the 2020 are noticeably fatter then your 3120 neck, I mean, you really will feel a big difference switching from one guitar to the other, but not bigger then that your will get used to both (depending on how picky your are with things like that).

Donít know much about the market, I live in Sweden and everything is silly expensive here. The used market are the same as for the 3120 here in Sweden, and it varies a lot (right now are there loads of used 3120 floating around, so the price is very low, for us).

If you get used to the different necksize, then it would be a good match for your 3120.
I prefer the 3120, but both are very good, and pretty similar, guitars

/magnus
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Re: RG3120 vs RG2020xtb

you should be able to pick up a used 2020 for about $600.. which is really good value considering that the trem sells on the bay for 300-400 on its own... though they range in price up to $1200 for a minty one set up by one of the sponsors here.

The pickup and piezo systems are seperate so the pickup swap will the same as usual... but with a little less room to play with in the electronics cavity...

personally I think 2020s rock.. theyre not very exiting to look at but the neck feels and plays great and I have been giggin with one as my main guitar for about 4 years ... Once you have the advantage of being able to switch to piezo at any second you never go back...

Tags
les paul , piezo system , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode