RG3120: we have a winner - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

RG3120: we have a winner

That beautiful lady in the middle just arrived today, and I can't believe my ears! What an awesome axe. What I love about this guitar:
  1. tone - solid, smooth, sustaining, and sweet all over the fretboard. Lady screams and soothes at the same time. Nice clean tones. Rhythm is so tight. Switch positions 2 and 4 are surprisingly good
  2. looks - love the quilted top
  3. neck - not as wide as the Jem's, which makes it easier to palm when I need to
  4. it's an RG with an Edge - 'nuff said!
  5. jumbo frets - forgot how shred-inducing they can be

And I can't get over the fit and finish of this thing. It gives those other two behind it a run for the money, and I'm seriously thinking about selling that VSBL (its backplate is signed by Vai, it's a near-mint 2002, PM me if you have an offer). Either that or replace the VSBL's Evos with something I can actually tolerate. I wasn't really sure before now, but the Jem's tone is finicky about what you put it through; it always seems to be trebling the hell out of things, or sounding a bit on the thin side. Not so with the 3120, it seems to sound good on any setting, and I found myself stuck on amp presets I don't usually care about, pickin' and grinnin' and playing better.

Anyway, just venting the GAS. Thanks for watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:22 AM

I'm a big fan of the 3120(and other high end RG's). I've got that same guitar. It plays so good it almost plays itself. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the Tone Zone, but I installed EMG's in it and it sounds [email protected]#$%^ great.

I wish they hadn't discontinued it. That guitar with a piezo and a few different finish options would be great. I'd by a few more. Hard tail version would be nice too.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 08:15 PM

For some reason, seeing your JS pictured like that made me imagine how cool a JS with a black matte finish would be (like the ones 7 Dying Trees had done to his RGs)

Sorry if that was a little off topic. Sweet RG3120 BTW! They definitely give JEMs a run for their money.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 02:25 AM

Congrats man!
I love that well-figurated and SAAAWWWEET Top
I really dig that!
Tubarão
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 AM

Wow sweet man..nice RG3120
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 05:32 AM

Re: RG3120: we have a winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehYam
[*]looks - love the quilted top
Isn't it flamed? Anyway congratz on the beautiful score !

Regards

André

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:16 PM

definatly looks great . Does it have tonezone in the bridge and air norton in the neck ?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:41 PM

it should be a Paf pro on neck position
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 04:59 PM

Welcome to the club, it looks great. . My RG3120 has gone through some pickup modifications over the time I've had it. When I first got it had 2 EVO's. Then I sold them and got a Dimebucker and a 59', then I sold them and now a friend is installing EMG's in it as we speak. 85b, 81n. I can't wait to get it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

After a couple weeks of owning it, I can say that the two biggest differences are the neck - since it's a little smaller all around than the Jem's, you can really grab all the strings, and get tons of control - and secondly, the pickups.

Still lovin' it. The only thing I'd change is to put a single-coil in the middle, and maybe make the neck a little thicker (but not wider).
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 05:51 PM

Congratulations. It's a beatiful looking and sounding instrument. I bought one from a friend but never got to try it out with the stock pickups as he put in a pair of Dimarzio Breeds. They sound great though, sweet and defined. I tried to put a Dimebucker in, but it didn't fit! Did you have to do any routing, Maggot? How about for the EMGs?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:38 AM

Reviews: 6
Nice versatile Ibanez trio you have there. For strict lead playing I prefer my RG3120DR. For all around rhythm and lead playing I prefer my JEM7VSBL. I don't have that beautiful JS1000 you have there though
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 10:46 PM

Quote:
After a couple weeks of owning it, I can say that the two biggest differences are the neck - since it's a little smaller all around than the Jem's, you can really grab all the strings, and get tons of control - and secondly, the pickups.

Still lovin' it. The only thing I'd change is to put a single-coil in the middle, and maybe make the neck a little thicker (but not wider).
Congratulation on a great guitar investment. It is a very nice guitar, I have four of them and I love them all. The pickups sounds great with the wood in that guitar, also the BREED sound very good in it. I think that especially the really light (weight wise) 3120’s sounds extremely good.

I just got curious, how do you do a neck thicker?

And not ruin your day, the neck on that RG3120 and the JEM are exactly the same in how wide they are, 43mm at the nut, 56mm at the last fret.
It is just the shape of the neck that makes you feel that it is less wide then the JEM (but I sort of feel that the JEM feels smaller) but they are the same.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag
Congratulation on a great guitar investment. It is a very nice guitar, I have four of them and I love them all. The pickups sounds great with the wood in that guitar, also the BREED sound very good in it.
The idea of Breeds in there is intriguing. How do they sound split (i.e. positions 2, 4)?

Quote:
I just got curious, how do you do a neck thicker?
You buy a thicker one and put it on, I guess.

Quote:
And not ruin your day, the neck on that RG3120 and the JEM are exactly the same in how wide they are, 43mm at the nut, 56mm at the last fret.
I know that that's what the 2001 catalogue says - that 3120's have the Wizard neck, which has the same width profile as the Jem - but I just measured them both myself, and the 3120's is indeed more than one mm less wide than the neck on my VSBL. I think the specs are lying - I think the 3120 actually has an Ultra neck. Even though it's 1mm less wide, it makes a WORLD of difference. The Jem neck actually hurts my hand when I try to palm it to do bluesy stuff. The Ultra neck (if that's what it is) feels like a fishing pole in my fist... awesome.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:51 AM

Quote:

The idea of Breeds in there is intriguing. How do they sound split (i.e. positions 2, 4)?
I think the BREED split very well, I just think that it is a great pickup.

Quote:
Quote:
I know that that's what the 2001 catalogue says - that 3120's have the Wizard neck, which has the same width profile as the Jem - but I just measured them both myself, and the 3120's is indeed more than one mm less wide than the neck on my VSBL. I think the specs are lying - I think the 3120 actually has an Ultra neck. Even though it's 1mm less wide, it makes a WORLD of difference. The Jem neck actually hurts my hand when I try to palm it to do bluesy stuff. The Ultra neck (if that's what it is) feels like a fishing pole in my fist... awesome.
I measured my guitars to get the measurements I wrote in my post.
I have four JEM and four 3120 and they are all exactly the same (the JËM is thinner, but they are all the same in wideness).

I have noticed that the specs vary a little from time to time, I have two RG1527 and one has a 3mm thicker neck then what the specs says it should have.

But anyway, the 3120 is a great guitar, and I love them.
I'm pretty sure the necks are Wizard necks, the Ultra is a lot thicker then the ones on the 3120 (but it is not an super wizard neck, they are even thinner).

Tags
air norton , clean tone , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , jem neck , jumbo frets , neck position , paf pro , super wizard neck , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode