RG3120F vs. RG2120KKB - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Smile RG3120F vs. RG2120KKB

Can anyone tell me the difference between the RG3120F & the RG2120KKB? I'm thinking of getting one or the other. Here's what I know:

Similarities:
Both have mahogany RG-style body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, some kind of Edge trem, 2 direct-mounted humbuckers, 1 vol, 1 tone, 1 slide switch. Both are "Prestige" models.

Differences:
The KKB has a flame Koa top. The 3120F has a flame maple top.

Here's what I would like to know:
How do the necks compare, in terms of thickness, construction, quality, etc.? (HC has no reviews for the 2120KKB, but the 2120 reviews it has suggest it has a bigger, rounder "Ultra" neck - This scares me, as I'm a fan of THIN necks). How do the guitars compare in general, in terms of their position in the Ibanez line-up (i.e., was one "better" or more expensive than the other?). I don't think the 2120KKB is available anymore. Was it ever available in the USA?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 09:33 PM

Re: RG3120F vs. RG2120KKB

I'm not sure about the neck type on the KKb, but if you sure it was an ultra neck, then you'll get problem if you're really into wizard neck.
but personally, I'm a big fan of wizard neck myself, I have 2 Rg with ultra necks also, it only a matter of adaptation to make you play the ultra neck as good as you play the wizard.

myself, if I have to choose, I'm surely take the KKB instead of 3120F.
It's kinda rare, you won't find RG with koa top everyday, but 3120F is a regular production, you can find it anywhere.
The KKB as far as my concern is only for Japanese/european market.

I guess, you should get the KKB. It's only a matter of time to make you play the ultra neck as well as the wizard neck.

good luck.

MP
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that the 2120 has an "Ultra" neck. I hope it doesn't, and in fact, I'd be surprised if it did, since it's a bolt-on, and I thought the Ultra neck was reserved for neck-throughs.

However, while looking in vain for a review of the RG2120KKB on Harmony-Central, I found reviews for the RG2120X (different animal, I know, with piezo pickup, etc.) that suggest it has an Ultra neck.

I really want the 2120KKB, and I was hoping someone would reply with something like "I have one, and it has a Super Wizard neck, comparable to my RG520" or something like that. (I have an RG520QS with a razor thin neck, which I love).

So, has anyone out there played one of these beauties?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 PM

Reviews: 6

Ultra neck also comes on bolt-ons. My J. Custom has that profile. I like the feel better than the wizard on my RG3120.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

I just found out that the RG2120KKB goes from 20.5 to 22.5 mm, which sounds pretty thick to me (my RG520QS' Super Wizard is perfect IMO, at 17 to 20 mm).

I don't know what the measurements are for the RG3120, but Robo, if your 3120 has a Wizard, I guess that makes it 18 to 20.5 mm (Wizard II - Japan)? (I'm thinking it must be a Wizard II, since as I understand it, RG3120s are of recent vintage, and the "II" designation suggests, to me, a newer version of the Wizard).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 AM
ZJH

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

That should answer your neck question in regards to measurements.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, ZJH. I am aware of that chart showing the specs for each neck (very nice, BTW), but unfortunately, I don't know which neck these guitars would have. It's sounding like the 2120 has a much thicker neck than the 3120, which is a shame, because I really had my heart set on a 2120. I s'pose I could get it shaved, but I hate to buy a guitar and immediately start modding it (especially when the prices are significant).

Tags
edge trem , flame maple , maple neck , piezo pickup , rosewood fretboard , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode