RG3120TW Trem grinding - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Question RG3120TW Trem grinding

Hey all,

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 2004 rg3120tw with the edge pro trem system, and the up pull on the trem is bugging me.
To try and explain - when the trem block hits the base of the routed trem cavity (softly as it's foam covered), if I'm not careful it's easy to keep pulling back, at which point the trem levers itself a little way up the trem posts with a nasty grind (as the up pull at this point is now pivoting on the back of the trem block).

I know the obvious answer here - don't do it! - but the trouble is that there's no solid 'limit' hit - so from a tactile viewpoint it's too damn easy to do this.

Anyone else have this problem?
I've greased up the posts with a little Moly grease to prevent metal grindage and save my knife edges (& posts), but it bugs me that the meticulously engineered system is so flimsy once you hit the back stop point??
Maybe I'm just too used to my steinberger r-trem which hits a definite limit then don't move any further??

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 AM

Re: RG3120TW Trem grinding

I don't have that problem. I jsut measured my RG trem cavities and there appears to be 3/8" or 1 centimeter of travel. That's enough to increase pitch a whole step. So if you're bottoming out on the cavity, you'reprobably way too agressive on the trem.

The way around that for you is to route that part of the cavity deeper.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Deepen the cavity, I did the same mod to a friends soloist who had me stick an edge trem on it, it gives you the range you need, without lifting the knvies off their pivots, any competant tech can do this for very little outlay

Rob
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Vendor

A neck shim gets you to the same place for nothing....
Rich is online  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:32 AM

or that

Rob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

Perhaps I am just too aggressive with the bar. The moly grease has done the trick to prevent metal-to-metal grind (I've read elsewhere that chapstick is good, but I think the grease is easier to spread around).

I may look into increasing the back routing as you suggest, as the neck is already shimmed and the angle and action is otherwise fine.

Cheers!

Tags
edge pro trem , edge trem , neck shim , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode