Rg320FM sounds better than RGT3120 Prestige!!! :( - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Rg320FM sounds better than RGT3120 Prestige!!! :(

URGENT!!
I'm in serious turmoil. I have owned a 2003 edition un-customised RG320FM for 8 years with stock pickups, basswood body with flamed maple top:
ibanez wikia com/wiki/RG320FM

I've just begun a 48hour trial period to try a used 2002 edition japanese prestige model RGT3120-TV for less than half the price and with a free setup!!!!
It's been fitted with Petrucci pickups - Air Norton neck, steve's special bridge. The guitar has a Mahogany back with AAA Flamed Maple top:
ibanez wikia com/wiki/RGT3120

After plugging into both an axe fx and a H&K 30 watt combo, I've noticed an envelope problem, where the sustain part is stationary for longer in the rg320fm, it makes the guitar sound like it's going through a solid state when plugged into H&K or Axe fx. Why is this sounding better than the prestige to me?

Is it the Prestige's wood? better fluttering Tremolo? Pickups, I mean the prestige is a neck thru ffs, why doesn't it sound better in the sustain envelope after proper pickup height and action setup?

Because I'm really crying about this. Please help urgently!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Rg320FM sounds better than RGT3120 Prestige!!! :(

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...........

The RGT has been wired improperly. Buy it, rewire it, and enjoy the fact that you scored on one of the best Ibanez' ever built!!!!!

BTW....I own an '02 RGT. what your hearing is NOT the norm and is not a problem with the body/neck.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 AM

Reviews: 13

+1 what ^ he said!

-Wolfram
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

So is factory wiring for RGT known to be a problem? Or are you just taking a wild guess?
Because I don't want to keep it and find out that it's just the way a neck thru mahogany sounds.
But I DO want to keep it if it can sustain longer through rewiring.

1. How long can you sustain a 17th fret high E string note, before the envelope completely dies out;
a. acoustically

b. electrically

Because that's what my concern is. Sustain gets choked alot over there on the RGT.
I will soon post a recording of a dry signal plugged into an axe fx II for you to compare what the sound is like.

- Thanks guys, stay tuned.

Last edited by om30tools; 04-30-2012 at 07:15 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM

How is the set up on the RGT? Can you stretch to keep both?

-Wolfram
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Setup is fresh from the luthier who levelled the frets down by hand. The trem is as low as possible. Action is great. Intonations are set. 3 Springs on the back, 9 guage diadarrio strings. Air Norton and Steve Special PUS are raised as high as possible without buzz.

The seller on ebay is flexible and reasonable, so I can work with the 48hours a little.
Whilst I troubleshoot the RGT, I can stretch to keep both.
But since I have an opportunity to get full money refund, as opposed to risk selling 3rd hand on ebay, I'm drawn 50-50.
Eventually, one of them will have to go. Either I keep the RGT and sell the RG - which I know is good, but not amazing. OR I sell the RGT, and keep a mediocre sounding RG which sustains better as it is.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM

When all is said nd done it has to come back to the sound. If the RGT is able to be fixed I would go with that it should be better in the long run. If it doesn't work out for you with the RGT you can always sell it, get your money back if not more, and pick up something different. If you feel that the 320 is mediocre and you get something where you havemade money off the RGT then you should be fine.

-Wolfram
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM

This reaction can happen when comparing distortion with cheap and quality guitars.

Most likely the 320 has a higher output, more compressed pick-up. Can sustain the mids more but zero elegance in clean sound.

You can change the pick-ups later if you like but I'm guessing its more of a "getting used to" thing youre experiencing right now.

Sound examples would be great, other wise we'll be guessing stuff to figure out if its really a wiring problem or something else.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Here's the recordings.

I have plugged both guitars into the front of an axe fx II. There are no effects. What you are hearing is the Axe FX II amplifying the guitar pickups directly. All sounds are therefore clean.

I have conducted a systematic recording where, both guitars are playing the same thing on all 5 settings of the pickup toggle switch. All settings are marked in the soundcloud bookmark/comments section under the track.

Here is my RG 320-FM:
http://soundcloud.com/harvestthesouls/rg320fm-sustain

Here is my RGT 3120-TV:
http://soundcloud.com/harvestthesoul...120-tv-sustain

Please tell me what you think is going on with the sustain!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestthesouls View Post
So is factory wiring for RGT known to be a problem? Or are you just taking a wild guess?
Because I don't want to keep it and find out that it's just the way a neck thru mahogany sounds.
But I DO want to keep it if it can sustain longer through rewiring.

1. How long can you sustain a 17th fret high E string note, before the envelope completely dies out;
a. acoustically

b. electrically

Because that's what my concern is. Sustain gets choked alot over there on the RGT.
I will soon post a recording of a dry signal plugged into an axe fx II for you to compare what the sound is like.

- Thanks guys, stay tuned.
No, Ibanez wiring is as solid as a rock on the pre-'05's. I know the wiring is not correct because of your description of the playability and the fact that the pups are not original.

Another important point is that the pups are WAY too close to the strings. This puts the magnetic field nearly into contact with the strings. This will kill sustain as fast as letting your arm sleeve rest on them. Lower the pups significantly.....you'll see a marked improvement.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
This reaction can happen when comparing distortion with cheap and quality guitars.

Most likely the 320 has a higher output, more compressed pick-up. Can sustain the mids more but zero elegance in clean sound.

You can change the pick-ups later if you like but I'm guessing its more of a "getting used to" thing youre experiencing right now.

Sound examples would be great, other wise we'll be guessing stuff to figure out if its really a wiring problem or something else.
This is SO true.......unfortunately, guitar companies always think that more output will hide the misgivings of a poorly designed pickup.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Reviews: 11

Judging by your clips, the RG320 has terrible sustain too. Keep something else in mind though; A little vibrato will sustain your noted a lot longer. Same with distortion. Cleans pretty much never have long sustain.

Keep the RGT. It's one of the best guitars Ibanez has ever made. And it's my favorite guitar that they've ever made.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Reviews: 4

^ To continue what D was saying - If you do dislike the RGT that much, you can just send it to me... I might cover shipping.

Good advice in this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode