RG320FM String Change = Fret Buzz. How? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

RG320FM String Change = Fret Buzz. How?

Hi Folks,

I have the changed strings on my RG320FM yesterday (with no change in gauge), and have re-attached the locking nuts today. The low E and A are buzzing like mad when I play accoustically. I have spent the past hour adjusting the stud screws on both sides of the tremolo. I have tried heights ranging between 2.0mm and 5.0mm (top of 12th fret to the bottom of string), and have gotten nowhere. The last time I had the strings changed in this guitar (a 2005 model), was in May when I had the pick-ups changed by my local guitar store (Steve's Music in Toronto). When they set it up back then, they told me that they set the action to factory specs, which resulted in next-to-no buzz. What is the factory string height for this cheapie 3 series? How do I solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 PM

Re: RG320FM String Change = Fret Buzz. How?

Factory string height is 2.0mm for low E and 1.5mm for high e, both measure at the 12th fretwire. If its buzzing acoustically, chances are that its normal, try:
- Plugging it to your amp and have a hear whether its still buzzing.
- Check for loose saddles/other parts at the bridge/headstock.
- Make sure your string lockers are tight and the strings are all in place
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpickin03 View Post
Factory string height is 2.0mm for low E and 1.5mm for high e, both measure at the 12th fretwire. If its buzzing acoustically, chances are that its normal, try:
Thanks!!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I tried everything on this checklist, on it works through an amp, but acoustically, the low E string is still going nuts... even when I raise the action another 1.0mm.

Oh well, time to buy a RGA321.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 PM

Have you changed string gauges, or brands? sounds to me as if the neck has lost relief due to less string tension - you could try loosening the truss rod just a hair and see if it improves.......?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 PM

Some times new strings buzz a little more than played in ones. Maybe try and get the same brand that was on the guitar originally. Different brands can have more or less buzz too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Have you changed string gauges, or brands? sounds to me as if the neck has lost relief due to less string tension - you could try loosening the truss rod just a hair and see if it improves.......?
Went I first bought the guitar about a year ago, it originally had Darrios 9-42 (spelling?), and had them switched over to Dean Markley Blue Steel 9-42 back when I had the pickups changed in May. When I got me guitar back with the new pickups and strings, there was only a tiny buzz on the low E string; all of the others are perfect. I played with that set without a string change until yesterday, and I slapped on the exact same Blue Steels (9-42).

I did stretch them out at the 12th fret, and then let them sit over night on the guitar without the locking nuts on it. Even given this fact, wouldn't there be MORE tension since they are new strings? The other thing is that it is tuned correctly... I checked it with a chromatic tuner. If the tension has been lessened, wouldn't the strings be flat in pitch?

Should I adjust the offending strings individual at the tremolo (not the fine-tuners but the other thing with the allen key bolt)?

I am a little new at setting up a guitar, and I don't want to screw it up and have to take it to the shop every time I do a string change; how do I loosen the truss rod after I get the cover off?

Thanks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 AM

Some acoustic buzz is normal if you want to have your action set up as low as possible coz generally, you're picking the strings harder in order to hear it. If your guitar sounds just fine when you pick it with your normal stroke through an amp, then its fine. Dont mess with the truss rod, you only adjust it when your neck relief isnt proper, in this case, the factory setup is 9-42 and you're still using the same gauge so no need to adjust the rod.

If you're too concern about the buzz, raise the action fairly to your likings till the buzz minimalize/gone. If you want to adjust your intonation, you gotta check your 12th fret and compare it with your open string note/12th fret harmonic.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Some acoustic buzz is normal if you want to have your action set up as low as possible coz generally, you're picking the strings harder in order to hear it. If your guitar sounds just fine when you pick it with your normal stroke through an amp, then its fine. Dont mess with the truss rod, you only adjust it when your neck relief isnt proper, in this case, the factory setup is 9-42 and you're still using the same gauge so no need to adjust the rod.

If you're too concern about the buzz, raise the action fairly to your likings till the buzz minimalize/gone. If you want to adjust your intonation, you gotta check your 12th fret and compare it with your open string note/12th fret harmonic.
Ok... I have raised the action to 4.0mm on both E strings, and the buzz has diappeared to the point where I can barely hear it on the A string. But the buzz on the low E string is still unabearable; it still sounds like a Fisher Price toy guitar. I haven't touched the truss rod, and the strings have now had a few days to stretch properly. How high should the action be? I even raised it to 5.0mm at one point and the low E string still sucked %$#@!

Keep in mind that I am not a shredder, but play mostly Maiden, Sabbath, and 80's melodic rock - ultra low action is not priority.

What am I missing? How does a simple string change create this nonsense? Does it have to do with the floating trem, or the truss rod? On the same day, I also changed the strings on my Dean Z 79' reissue with the tune-o-matic fixed bridge, action is 3.0mm with barely any buzz (acoustically). Therefore, would I be wrong to assume that this is a trem issue since the truss rod has not been touched? I feel like selling this $%#$% thing and getting an RGA!

Thanks in advance.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Ok... I have raised the action to 4.0mm on both E strings, and the buzz has diappeared to the point where I can barely hear it on the A string. But the buzz on the low E string is still unabearable; it still sounds like a Fisher Price toy guitar. I haven't touched the truss rod, and the strings have now had a few days to stretch properly. How high should the action be? I even raised it to 5.0mm at one point and the low E string still sucked %$#@!

Keep in mind that I am not a shredder, but play mostly Maiden, Sabbath, and 80's melodic rock - ultra low action is not priority.

What am I missing? How does a simple string change create this nonsense? Does it have to do with the floating trem, or the truss rod? On the same day, I also changed the strings on my Dean Z 79' reissue with the tune-o-matic fixed bridge, action is 3.0mm with barely any buzz (acoustically). Therefore, would I be wrong to assume that this is a trem issue since the truss rod has not been touched? I feel like selling this $%#$% thing and getting an RGA!

Thanks in advance.
Whoa, dont get pissed...YET

Make sure that your bridge is always parallel to the body
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 AM

Go to ibanezrules.com and visit the tech section. You may need to adjust the trussrod.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
Go to ibanezrules.com and visit the tech section. You may need to adjust the trussrod.
+1

Regards

André

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice, and for letting me vent. I have followed the instructions on Rich's site, without any truss rod adjustment, and the buzzing is now at an acceptable level (e.g. none comes through the amp). It will be interesting to see what happens after the next time I change the strings; maybe a got a wacky batch this time around.

P.S. Those RGA still look cool though!

Cheers
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice, and for letting me vent. I have followed the instructions on Rich's site, without any truss rod adjustment, and the buzzing is now at an acceptable level (e.g. none comes through the amp). It will be interesting to see what happens after the next time I change the strings; maybe a got a wacky batch this time around.

P.S. Those RGA still look cool though!

Cheers
Dont hesitate to get it, its a wonderful guitar

Tags
david mccarroll , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , fixed bridge , locking nut , locking nuts , markley blue steel , neck relief , rod adjustment , string gauges , string lock , string tension , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode