rg321mhmol vs rgt42dxfx - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

rg321mhmol vs rgt42dxfx

Im considering between this 2 models. Which of them offer a better value? And both models arent available in my area (asia), any good reliable online shops to recommend? I am consider musicianfriends and ********. Anyway ******** rg321 are made out of basswood from what i see from their website. So they are still selling the older models? Or they didnt update their website? pickups doesnt really matter, since i ging to swap them out immediatly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 AM

Re: rg321mhmol vs rgt42dxfx

Do you want a neck-thru construction? If you do, go with RGT, otherwise go with the RG.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I will prefer the sound of the neck-thru, but its kind of turn off thing as well, i love to customize guitar, refinish them, a neck-thru may be a hassle.

The painted neck is a plus thing, I have always love painted neck more than anything

Sharkfins inlay look cool, but sometime it does look abit cheesy compare to dot inlays

I will really love maghony oil finish

That is like so complicating . . . I guess i should settle for a rg321mh since its cheaper and probably get a few stuff or a new amp as well hmm . . .
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extigy
I will prefer the sound of the neck-thru, but its kind of turn off thing as well, i love to customize guitar, refinish them, a neck-thru may be a hassle.

The painted neck is a plus thing, I have always love painted neck more than anything

Sharkfins inlay look cool, but sometime it does look abit cheesy compare to dot inlays

I will really love maghony oil finish

That is like so complicating . . . I guess i should settle for a rg321mh since its cheaper and probably get a few stuff or a new amp as well hmm . . .
I'd say go for the RG321, even if the RG neck thrus look better with their inlays and binding round the headstock and all. You'll save yourself money and a natural satin (as opposed to other satin or gloss) necks are in my experience much nicer and faster in terms of feel. RG321s also have a stripped down sort of appeal so they're excellent for modifications.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:38 AM

you sound like me like 6 months ago. i had the same problem. i wanted a fixed bridge rg and it was a toss up on the 2 guitars you mentioned. i ended up getting the rg321. mainly due to the fact that i could get 3 rg321s for the price of 1 rgt42. since it was basically going to be a beater for me, i went with the rg321 and modded it up. at the time that i bought the rg321, i had not played either, but i got the rg321 for $200 new and had it shipped to me. $100 in new pickups, electronics, and dimarzio strap made it all worthwhile. now having played an rgt42dxfx, i can say that it is a really nice guitar. i am not at all regretting the decision to get it, though. the rg321 is more my speed as i like classier, more conservative axes. the rg321 can cover more ground as far as being "accepted" in more musical avenues. the rgt42dxfx screams metal. both are extremely nice axes, especially for the price. another main difference between the 2 are place of manufacture: rg321 is indonesia and the rgt42 is korean. the koreans do have a leg up on quality, but the rg321 is not in any way an inferior product. i use mine to backup my rg520qs...which is a backup of my rgt3120 and rg2120x. so that speaks volumes on the rg321's behalf.

rich
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Personally, I think that the RGT42DXFX is a bit overpriced for what you actually get. If you're thinking about spending that much money on a Made in Korea guitar then you might as well go the next step up and get one of those HR Giger models. I have an RG321MH (from 2005 on they are made of mahogany) and I love it to death. I needed a guitar for standard tuning that I could play blues as well as old school metal on and this guitar fits the bill nicely. I'm still trying to sort out what kind of pickups I want to put into the guitar, though. I like the way the bridge pickup sounds except that it's a little abrasive at higher volumes so I'm trying to figure out which Dimarzio pickup will have a similar sound without the abrasiveness. I'll probably end up putting an Air Norton or a Humbucker From Hell in the neck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:46 PM

don't forget about the japanese made rg 421, pretty much the same as a 321 but made better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM

My RG321 is one of my favorite guitars. It is an abosoulute workhose. I have Dimarzio tonezones, and sanded it down to it's natural mahogany. It sounds superb. Get the 321!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 PM

Get the RG321, still one of the best bang for the buck guitars I've seen. Most of the RGT's I've found seem to be pretty dead sounding for some reason and this includes some of the prestige models. (Oddly enough I still play my bolt-on J-customs more than I play my neck throuh J-Custom).

If you still have cash left over after buying that RG321, spend they money on some some pickups or a better amp.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio strap , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tonezone , dot inlay , dot inlays , fixed bridge , neck thru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode