Rg350 To buy or not to buy - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Eco

Re: Rg350 To buy or not to buy

Yea i had my first floyd guitar about a year after i started playing and learnt how to string it pretty quick.

Just do it one string at a time and you cant go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:29 AM

In the US, RG350's sell for $399 new, where in the classified section on this site, someone is selling a laser blue RG550 for $450- 'nuff said.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 AM

I personally recommend against getting a FR equiped axe to start off with 99.9% of the time. My thinking is that when you are starting off that you spend alot of time fussing with the trem trying to get past the learning curve rather than playing and practising. Some people, like Dee, got past the curve rather quickly but I would consider him part of the exception rather than the rule.

If you are dead set on something FR equiped (or Edge or whatever it ends up being) then as long as you have a little patience with it you will be fine. My first two electrics where FR equiped guitars but I started playing back in the days when guitars that didn't have a FR system - they weren't sh*t to most metal heads and rockers (had to love the early 80's). Of course you have lots of help available to learn about them (Jemsite, Ibanez Rules) that wasn't available to me when I started out.

The RG321 (or RG421 if you can find one used) are great fixed bridge versions that simplify the whole process and are under $300 US ($279 I think).

Let us know what you end up going with.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
In the US, RG350's sell for $399 new, where in the classified section on this site, someone is selling a laser blue RG550 for $450- 'nuff said.
But he's in Singapore, not the USA.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

$450USD = $600+ SGD. Add in transport, and its maybe 800-900. That is if the guy is willing to ship

Dee got an Rg550, which has a better trem than the 350. Could that be part of the reason he learnt fast and didnt find any problems?
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
But he's in Singapore, not the USA.
Just sayin'... if the seller will ship (I know chances are slim), it's worth looking into.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Dee

I agree, but yeah...
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 AM

Hm...if I was you id leave it, Im a big fan of "try before you buy". If you have confidence in this guitar then shore buy it, I love the sound of the rg350's my friend has one i love the feel of the neck and i dont mind the pickups.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 AM
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-man View Post
They are hard to find locally, and mostly in bad condition. Many [email protected] products only ship in the USA. And some look too cheap to be true. Other than the trem, in what way is the rg5xx better?

El Man, in order to understand WHY the RG5xx series is far superior you must understand the world, American Culture, and what was going on in the late 80's and 90s. It was the height of Guitar Domination in Music. Imagine opening up an Ibanez catalog to see a couple of young, new guitarists by the names of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Then you look at the next page and it's Alex Skolnick with his legendary 540PII. Page after page you see the cutting edge of guitars in the world. Although many folks were obssessed with Jacksons, and they certainly are worthy, Ibanez's contain a mojo all their own.

In today's world, company's have no pride, no culture, they just want money. But back in the 80's and early ninety's Ibanez had something special: Pride and Vision.

The RG5xx series are superior in every conceivable fashion to an RG350. The newer Rg's will offer some cool options like sharfin inlays, bounded everything, and cool paint jobs, HOWEVER, here is a list of why a MIJ RG is superior:

1. The Edge Trem remains a solid, reputable, for some coveted trem. Why? Because the damn thing stays in tune. No, it isni't sexy, but if you actually use the trem, and you've been through the pain of tuning a floating trem, you will quickly appreciate the original Trem, for me, above all others. It sells alone for 100 bucks on ****.

2. Original Wizard neck: simply the best. Well, the new Wizards, like on an RGA121 are really nice too. But an RG350dx has a Wizard II, which is bulkier, thicker, and not as "fast". The original Wizard neck remains the standard for "shredding" and playability. I prefer Original Wizards over the Jackson's of the same era, which were as thin or thinner. Again, remember, Ibanez was making these guitars for perhaps the best guitar players of all time. Again, this neck is worth 100 bucks alone on ****.

3. Gotoh Tuners: I believe these are better than the new stuff.

4. Pickups: S1, V2, V1, V7, V8 pickups are very good made by Dimarzio pickups, I believe. They really sound good. THe INF series are usable, but the single coils sound tinny, the humbuckers sound ok, but not as rich as say, a V2.

5. Overall assembly lines in the Japanese factories was and still is superior to the Korean and Indonesian ones. I have owned 2 Korean, and 1 Indonesian Ibanez. The Korean ones aren't bad, I have a s2075fw, and a s470fm, both of which are constructed VERY very well. But the Indonesian factory was pretty weak. One pickup pole stuck out, and the first RG5EX1 I played had a fret that was too tall and muted the guitar, this was fresh out of the box too.

In the end, you need to play a Japanese made Ibanez and decide for yourself. Whatever floats your boat is what you should buy. If you don't see value in all this stuff I wrote, then get the darn RG350!!! I'm sure you'll love it.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 AM

Reviews: 10

I can see bdk's points, but i think it's still a nice guitar, especially if your just starting its more than adequate, and can be upgraded in time, not that it really needs to be. The neck is thicker but thats not a bad thing really, it seems to add quite a warm bassey sound which sounds cool when playing clean.

i've had no trouble with the trem, stays in tune and works pretty good.

If your not bothered about owning a new guitar then yes it makes sense to look for a 2nd hand RG550 for the same price as a new 350.

Either choice is still a good choice
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Dee

bdk, there are a few things I see that are wrong in your post.

I think your prices are off. Ibanez Wizard necks sell for way more than $100, as does a good condition Edge trem. Even an Edge III sells for more than $100.

To say the Wizard is flat out "better" isn't true for everyone, many people prefer the Wizard II profile.

You're saying "Ibanez was making these guitars for perhaps the best guitar players of all time" which is debatable, but not only that, very few of those "best players of all time" played an RG550. They were playing signature models, mainly, and when they were supposedly playing regular models, those guitars had the best setup and treatment. Alex Skolnick himself parted company with Ibanez because he wasn't happy with the quality of the production models compared to the ones he was playing himself. Vai and Satriani, who I assume you are labelling the "best guitar players of all time" didn't play RG550's either.

If I remember correctly, the original V1 and V2 pickups didn't sound too great, actually. On the RG 20th, they sound better than the originals, but my old 1987 RG550 actually sounded pretty weak. It was expected that you'd swap out the originals with some PAF Pro's or something back then, just like the JEM was using. With the RG 20th, I'm not tempted to do that.

The RG350 isn't a bad guitar. Sure, the 550 is better and I still suggest to anyone to find a good condition used one rather than buy an RG350, but Korean and Indonesian-made guitars have come a long way since the old days. The only problem I have is with quality control -- you need to go play that guitar and check it yourself to make sure it's OK before you buy it. If not, be semi-prepared to tidy up the frets and set it up correctly.

However, there are plenty of Japanese-made Ibanez RG's out there which shouldn't have made it through QC. Even Prestige models, so just because it's MIJ doesn't mean it's always gonna be flawless.

Are the V seiries actually made by Dimarzio? Not to my knowledge. If they were, wouldn't Ibanez boast about this? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, Ibanez produces the V series themselves, otherwise they'd be labeled Dimarzio/IBZ.

Lastly, I don't think it's necessary to understand American culture to appreciate a guitar made in Japan.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM

I have a RG350 that I really like - playing wise. But....I've replaced the pots, switch, jack, and pickups. I have as much money in the guitar as a good used 550. I use this guitar for drop D tunings only now. Still a decent axe but not even in the same ballpark as my 20th 550. I do have a RGT42 that was built like a tank but there again I've changed pots, and Pickups in that too.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

After adding transportation, a used RG550 is kinda expensive.. About 1 thousand SGD.. If i were in the USA i wud definitely buy a 550 cos the transportation is less/none.

Im quite puzzled why one group of users say the Edge 3 is utter crap while there are ppl who say the Edge 3 is good.

Havent made a decision yet. Not in a rush.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:25 PM
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
bdk, there are a few things I see that are wrong in your post.

I think your prices are off. Ibanez Wizard necks sell for way more than $100, as does a good condition Edge trem. Even an Edge III sells for more than $100.

To say the Wizard is flat out "better" isn't true for everyone, many people prefer the Wizard II profile.

You're saying "Ibanez was making these guitars for perhaps the best guitar players of all time" which is debatable, but not only that, very few of those "best players of all time" played an RG550. They were playing signature models, mainly, and when they were supposedly playing regular models, those guitars had the best setup and treatment. Alex Skolnick himself parted company with Ibanez because he wasn't happy with the quality of the production models compared to the ones he was playing himself. Vai and Satriani, who I assume you are labelling the "best guitar players of all time" didn't play RG550's either.

If I remember correctly, the original V1 and V2 pickups didn't sound too great, actually. On the RG 20th, they sound better than the originals, but my old 1987 RG550 actually sounded pretty weak. It was expected that you'd swap out the originals with some PAF Pro's or something back then, just like the JEM was using. With the RG 20th, I'm not tempted to do that.

The RG350 isn't a bad guitar. Sure, the 550 is better and I still suggest to anyone to find a good condition used one rather than buy an RG350, but Korean and Indonesian-made guitars have come a long way since the old days. The only problem I have is with quality control -- you need to go play that guitar and check it yourself to make sure it's OK before you buy it. If not, be semi-prepared to tidy up the frets and set it up correctly.

However, there are plenty of Japanese-made Ibanez RG's out there which shouldn't have made it through QC. Even Prestige models, so just because it's MIJ doesn't mean it's always gonna be flawless.

Are the V seiries actually made by Dimarzio? Not to my knowledge. If they were, wouldn't Ibanez boast about this? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, Ibanez produces the V series themselves, otherwise they'd be labeled Dimarzio/IBZ.

Lastly, I don't think it's necessary to understand American culture to appreciate a guitar made in Japan.
Well, actually, you're wrong. I sell guitars on **** all the time, and the average for a wizard neck is 100 dollars. The same is true for an Edge trem. An Edge III will fetch you more though. Go to **** and look under advanced search, you can check closed listings.

Well, Ibanez had to be doing something right to win over Satch, Vai, and Skolnick and yes Skolnick left, but Vai and Satriani stayed. That's a pretty big deal I think. Most importantly I said "perhaps the best players of all time" which suggests the point is indeed debatable.

So are you saying INF pickups sound better than the V1 or V2? I don't think so I've owned both and the INF are usable for a beginner but stretching it for an advanced player.

American culture isn't important in Japanese guitars? Really? Last I checked Satriani and Vai aren't Japanese!!!

I think you are right about the pickups, but that's about it. I didn't make a big deal about it, but in the end the V series pickups sound better than the INF,
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Dee

What are you talking about?

When did I say INF sounds better than V series? I didn't. When did I say American culture has no importance in Japanese guitars? WTF? I said it isn't necessary to understand American culture to appreciate a Japanese guitar. Check yourself.

The majority of Edge bridges on e-Bay go for more than $100.
Wizard necks usually go for quite a bit more. I've seen damaged ones selling for $150. There was a reverse headstock Wizard sold on there recently for $300. So basically, depending on the condition, you could probably get a worn/damaged neck for $100. If you want a good one with little wear, you're gonna be spending more money.

Tags
alex skolnick , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , epiphone les paul , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , floyd trem , gotoh tuners , guitar players , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , inf pickups , iron maiden , joe satriani , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , paf pro , production model , reverse headstock , steve vai , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in