Rg350 To buy or not to buy - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Rg350 To buy or not to buy

I liked the feel of this guitar.. The sound is satisfactory enough for me.. i only started 4 months ago.. But i heard some bad stories about the trem Edge 3.
Do u know of any similar spec-ed guitars that wud be less troublesome?

I play/want to play iron maiden, metallica, malmsteen, and shred stuff..

I cant spend too much as im a student not a working adult.. Prestige models are most probably outta my budget and im living in Singapore..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM

Re: Rg350 To buy or not to buy

It's a fair enough model that can be modded down the road when the time comes, ie; upgraded pickups and trem.

The Edge 3 is SUPPOSED to be an upgraded EdgeII. I can't give you personal experience with one.

There are usually used RG5xx models (MIJ) that can be had for the price of a new RG350. Most here would recommend getting a MIJ version but might also agree that you should be fine with the RG350 for now if that's what you end up with.

Welcome to Jemsite.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

They are hard to find locally, and mostly in bad condition. Many [email protected] products only ship in the USA. And some look too cheap to be true. Other than the trem, in what way is the rg5xx better?
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Dee

Some ARE too cheap to be true -- they are fakes. If you're ever in doubt, ask us here and we'll tell you if an Ibanez is genuine or not.

The 350 is a decent guitar. The Edge III is based on the original Edge trem, only I suspect it's made from inferior quality metal. Still, once it's set up right it should last you a few years. If you want a better guitar, wait until an affordable RG550 or any RG5xx (and above) series comes up for sale somewhere. The RG350 is OK man, don't hesitate to buy one if you like the feel of it. The trem can be replaced with an Edge Pro if you feel like upgrading it.

The RG5xx is better constructed, better attention to detail such as fretwork, better pickups, thinner, faster neck, and of course better trem.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:55 PM

Mostly. The MIJ stuff is usually better quality and specs all the way around but that doesn't mean the MIK or MII stuff is bad but just that they aren't up to the same standards (which have been slipping a bit as of late) as MIJ stuff.

Keep an eye out in the classifieds here for good deals if someone is willing to work with you on shipping.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Dee

Yeah, Korean, Indonesian, in fact any country can produce a good guitar. Sometimes you get a blinder, sometimes you get a lemon. The difference often lies in the quality control department. It's hot or miss. Best to try out one of these guitars in person, never buy blind.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Its by order basis, there is no display model.. Tats the problem
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:40 PM

I have a 350DX, and I love mine, I did put new pickups in it and swapped out the bridge for an original floyd. but even without the mods it's a very good guitar for the money.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Yea it always has "for the money"..
My fren told me that for the money u spend getting new pups and a new bridge, its better to buy a ibanez prestige.. Just wanted to tell me tat FRs are expensive.. Wud u recommend a 1st time guitar owner to get a FR?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 PM

I got mine at areal good price so with the mods it was still very reasonable. I am a fairly newbie with a floyd and still have a lot of problems setting it up, so for now I just have it blocked. But still I would recomend one.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 PM

I've always think that they're great guitars, the EDGE3 is awesome, set it up properly and it'll rock, I'll get one after I've restored my jem
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I've been playing for 5 mths only..Shd i get a FR in the 1st place.. I did some research and have been advised against getting a FR for 1st guitar.. I wonder how true is this.. Can i learn the tricks of taming an FR after 1 or 2 weeks?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 AM

Why not a FR as a first guitar, nothing wrong with that.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

i duno man..im confused.. A consequence of too much advise.

What do i do when my EdgeIII gives way (ie blunt knife edges etc)
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Dee

Then you wish you'd bought an RG550. Ha. I'm just kidding.

Listen, I never knew why anyone makes such a fuss about getting a Floyd trem on a first guitar. I know some people who take their guitars to a tech just to get it restrung! It's laughable. Do you want to use an FR? If so, just accept that there is a small learning curve when it comes to restringing one for the first time, but no one should ever feel like they can't get used to how they work. It's really simple man, you have string tension and spring tension. Both are balanced against each other.

Check out Rich's guides at IbanezRules.com

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

I remember my first Floyd equipped guitar, in fact it was a 1987 Ibanez RG550, and I got used to it in a matter of minutes. I never understood why people advise others not to get one. If you want a Floyd, buy a Floyd equipped guitar and get used to it.

Tags
alex skolnick , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , epiphone les paul , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , floyd trem , gotoh tuners , guitar players , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , inf pickups , iron maiden , joe satriani , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , paf pro , production model , reverse headstock , steve vai , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode