RG350 love. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 153
RG350 love.

What is up, Dudes and Dudettes!

Just checking in to see if people are into these as much as I am. I've been playing for 20+ years. I own a stock 1987 rg550 (which is great) and I've owned a ton of guitars over the years.

I think in the stock form the RG350M is very good. The pickups are not my favorite, that's a bit of a cliche at this point. I like the original V1 and V2 pickups quite a bit that come in the RG550. I think they are my favorite pickups actually. So, that is a pretty easy and cheep mod as a lot of players pull the V1/2 out before giving them a chance.

Sweet guitars, and used they are so cheep. I think they are a great bang for the buck.

Last edited by JimmyJazz; 06-18-2014 at 11:22 AM.
JimmyJazz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: RG350 love.

I would agree. I have a 350 from 94 or so and its always been solid...and its been through the wringer! I did block the TRSII and stuck a super distortion in it but over all a solid axe for the price for sure! Come to think of it, its the oldest guitar I have.
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:42 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Longmont CO
Posts: 345
Reviews: 1
Re: RG350 love.

Yeah the 350 is great.
Need to start adding more so maybe I will grab one too
GuitarMechanic is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:23 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Saint Charles
Posts: 116
Re: RG350 love.

I bought a rg350 with the Edge II ZPS last April and have to say - other than the tremolo is a little hard to work on with the saddles, its an awesome guitar for under $400.00 - highly recommended.

Isn't the new rg450m the same as the old rg350 but without the ZPS?
windycitycane is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,362
Reviews: 21
Re: RG350 love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post

Isn't the new rg450m the same as the old rg350 but without the ZPS?
Pretty much. I thought the RG350 with ZPZ was an AWESOME deal for $400; way better than the Edge 3 version. I hope Ibanez finds a way to go back to the EZ2 on the 350 with the ZPZ. It's IMO easier for new players to deal with a trem guitar without getting discouraged on it going out of tune easy from a bad trem setup.
mike570 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 153
Re: RG350 love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Pretty much. I thought the RG350 with ZPZ was an AWESOME deal for $400; way better than the Edge 3 version. I hope Ibanez finds a way to go back to the EZ2 on the 350 with the ZPZ. It's IMO easier for new players to deal with a trem guitar without getting discouraged on it going out of tune easy from a bad trem setup.

Boy, that is the whole deal, isn't it. How many bad reviews, negative threads, and sold "like new" guitars have there been simply due to the trem not being set up porperly (action height, too).

Almost all of the used gutiars that I buy come to me needing a set up. And the difference in feel and playability between a guitar that is "in" and a guitar that is "out" is similar to riding a bicycle that has no air in the tires verses one that does.
It's like "What, this $1000 bike is a piece of junk, it doesn't roll well at all."

Props to Rich at Ibanez rules. Without his tech resource I don't think I would have ever figured out set ups. Not to the degree that I can do them now, anyway. I have to imagine that the guitars that come out of his shop play pretty smoothly, and that makes all the difference.

I've never played an Ibby with a Zero point trem. I hear that they are a little stiffer due to the extra springs, and that guys who know how to do set up will disable them. The design is for newer players who haven't mastered setups, right?
JimmyJazz is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: RG350 love.

I'm glad you guys found 350s you like. I tried one out that a co-worker was trying to sell and even in my somewhat inexperienced hands; I found it lacking.
If I tried to set it up the way I normally like a guitar, I'd actually lose fret *1*. The first fret was cut so low compared to the others that if you fretted the F on the first string, you'd end up playing an F#, so I had to put so much relief on the neck, it was like a bow. I know frets can be leveled, but Gee!
The bridge was fantastic, even setting the ZPS to float, it stayed in tune very well.
There were obvious places where the paint was simply 'splattered' on. There was a huge 'glop' of paint under the cover for the trem cavity right where the cover attaches, distorting the cover so it looked like a comma when you took it off (and you could see it bulging out on the guitar).
The nut was cut way high, so much so that I would have been afraid to try to sand it down for fear of losing too much metal on the locking nut. (This, I'm sure was exaggerated by the stupid-low first fret.)
Plus: the nut was hanging over both sides of the neck, which to me would indicate that the neck had been over sanded, or simply cut way too narrow.
The pickups were just 'meh', but that's an easy fix so I didn't take points off for that.
It may have just been the one that I tried (I had it for a full week. My co-worker let me play with it before I decided to buy or not) and I couldn't see spending the money on a guitar that I'd end up spending more on to make it 'better' when I could just save that money and get a better guitar, like say a used RG550 with an Original Edge.
There was just too much wrong with the guitar I tried. Maybe I'm just spoiled now, since I have an RG1550 and an RG550, except for the cheap acoustic I started on I haven't had the 'pleasure' of owning a 'lower-end' electric guitar so maybe I'm expecting too much?
Meechy is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: RG350 love.

You know what's crazy? My 350 (with ZPS) stays in tune better than my prestiges. Go figure eh?
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Saint Charles
Posts: 116
Re: RG350 love.

+1 - always assume you'll need a setup when you get your guitar. Even with new guitars, things can happen in the mail - even if its setup properly before shipping. If you are not comfortable with setting it up yourself, spend the $50 or whatever at your local shop to get it done correctly. As you indicated, many times a guitar just isn't setup property and because many don't know how to do it, just assume the guitar isn't very good.

I got a 540r that was supposed to be 'just setup like new' from eBay. Got the guitar, it was all out of whack. After adjusting the truss rod, the action, the intonation and changing the strings, she sings beautifully.

I've gotten new guitars from places that got here just fine and didn't need a thing. Its all individual.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
Boy, that is the whole deal, isn't it. How many bad reviews, negative threads, and sold "like new" guitars have there been simply due to the trem not being set up porperly (action height, too).

Almost all of the used gutiars that I buy come to me needing a set up. And the difference in feel and playability between a guitar that is "in" and a guitar that is "out" is similar to riding a bicycle that has no air in the tires verses one that does.
It's like "What, this $1000 bike is a piece of junk, it doesn't roll well at all."

Props to Rich at Ibanez rules. Without his tech resource I don't think I would have ever figured out set ups. Not to the degree that I can do them now, anyway. I have to imagine that the guitars that come out of his shop play pretty smoothly, and that makes all the difference.

I've never played an Ibby with a Zero point trem. I hear that they are a little stiffer due to the extra springs, and that guys who know how to do set up will disable them. The design is for newer players who haven't mastered setups, right?

Last edited by windycitycane; 06-18-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
windycitycane is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Saint Charles
Posts: 116
Re: RG350 love.

doesn't surprise me, didn't Ibby have a copyright problem with the ZPS so they had to stop making them?

I really like the ZPS, other than I don't like the way the saddles work. I've had issues with strings popping out. It is definitely the most stable tremolo with regards to tuning.

Working on the Lo Pro Edge or even Edge III (which I don't really have a problem with as opposed to many on here) just seems easier for me.

If you can find a discontinued rg350 with the ZPS, and there are still some on eBay, I'd recommend it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
You know what's crazy? My 350 (with ZPS) stays in tune better than my prestiges. Go figure eh?
windycitycane is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: RG350 love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post
doesn't surprise me, didn't Ibby have a copyright problem with the ZPS so they had to stop making them?

I really like the ZPS, other than I don't like the way the saddles work. I've had issues with strings popping out. It is definitely the most stable tremolo with regards to tuning.

Working on the Lo Pro Edge or even Edge III (which I don't really have a problem with as opposed to many on here) just seems easier for me.

If you can find a discontinued rg350 with the ZPS, and there are still some on eBay, I'd recommend it.
I'm in Japan, the lawsuit has no impact on me They are still releasing RG2770s and 2550s here with the ZPS. Although 350s like mine were discontinued last year just like the US, we have the 450s here, just not the interesting colors like the new purple or last year's Jet Green.

EDIT:

My prestiges are a 2009 RG1550 and 2012 RG2550. They both have EZ with ZPS. EZII is more stable.
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 71
Re: RG350 love.

I understand copyright issues for the ZPS, but why remove the thumbwheel as well? I think that's the single most interesting feature the EZ/EZ II have.
Archer250 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 153
Re: RG350 love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
I'm glad you guys found 350s you like. I tried one out that a co-worker was trying to sell and even in my somewhat inexperienced hands; I found it lacking.
If I tried to set it up the way I normally like a guitar, I'd actually lose fret *1*. The first fret was cut so low compared to the others that if you fretted the F on the first string, you'd end up playing an F#, so I had to put so much relief on the neck, it was like a bow. I know frets can be leveled, but Gee!
The bridge was fantastic, even setting the ZPS to float, it stayed in tune very well.
There were obvious places where the paint was simply 'splattered' on. There was a huge 'glop' of paint under the cover for the trem cavity right where the cover attaches, distorting the cover so it looked like a comma when you took it off (and you could see it bulging out on the guitar).
The nut was cut way high, so much so that I would have been afraid to try to sand it down for fear of losing too much metal on the locking nut. (This, I'm sure was exaggerated by the stupid-low first fret.)
Plus: the nut was hanging over both sides of the neck, which to me would indicate that the neck had been over sanded, or simply cut way too narrow.
The pickups were just 'meh', but that's an easy fix so I didn't take points off for that.
It may have just been the one that I tried (I had it for a full week. My co-worker let me play with it before I decided to buy or not) and I couldn't see spending the money on a guitar that I'd end up spending more on to make it 'better' when I could just save that money and get a better guitar, like say a used RG550 with an Original Edge.
There was just too much wrong with the guitar I tried. Maybe I'm just spoiled now, since I have an RG1550 and an RG550, except for the cheap acoustic I started on I haven't had the 'pleasure' of owning a 'lower-end' electric guitar so maybe I'm expecting too much?
Wow, that does sound like a bad guitar. Maybe that is the catch, perhaps there are more lemons. Mine is a 2007 with and edgeII. Maybe I should have been clear too that mine is a maple neck, not sure if that makes a difference between the 350DX rosewood versions. I also have an 2007 RG1570 and the '87 RG550.

The stand out for me is the quality of the finishing between the '87 RG550 and the Indo RG350m. My RG350m is a lot more sloppy under the cavities. I can over look that pretty easily because the feel is right. The neck on mine is really nice (I set my neck up to be 99.5% strait), the nut is right, the frets are good and I have no issues with the EdgeII. It's been really stable. As far as feel, it fits right in with the 550 and 1570.
JimmyJazz is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: RG350 love.

The one I tried was a maple fretboard too.
Just your 'standard' RG350.
It was pretty. White with black hardware and pickups, I just really wasn't happy with the quality.
Meechy is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 104
Re: RG350 love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
I understand copyright issues for the ZPS, but why remove the thumbwheel as well? I think that's the single most interesting feature the EZ/EZ II have.
The thumbwheel was actually more behind the suit than the ZPS bar/springs itself. The complaint was on an infringement on a "Macro Tuning" patent held by Kahler.

That said, I love my RG350MYZ and personally think it works fine leaving the ZPS in.
LNG#16 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red RG350? Sean777 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 0 07-21-2013 03:49 AM
New RG350? Guitarmattms All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 6 06-05-2009 03:58 PM
x2n in RG350 NickCormier All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 0 04-29-2006 07:10 AM
Wtb: Rg350 MilkshakeFiend Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 03-08-2006 05:39 PM
what does everyone think about the rg350's shredded All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 4 08-15-2005 04:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome