RG350 or RG4EXFM1 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

RG350 or RG4EXFM1

Hi guys. Ibanez noob here with a couple questions. I'm looking at buying a guitar for my kid and I have narrowed it down to either a RG350DX or RG4EXFM1. I had a chance to play them both at my local GC and for the money didn't seem too bad. They have both models new and in stock priced at $379 for the 350 & $449 for the 4EXFM1. They also have them used (but like new) for $279 (350) and $349 for the 4EX. I have searched the forum and found a LOT of info (good and bad) on the RG350DX, but not much on the 4EX? If you were to pick between these two models which one and why? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG350 or RG4EXFM1

In a monetary sense, money is an issue - but not concerning guitars. I currently have an 150$ electric (the GRG-170M) and I consider myself lucky to have found a good model - maybe it's the tree it was cut from, maybe it's just sheer chance, but the guitar sings.

As a rule of thumb, and pertaining to your question - play them unplugged. See which one sings the most, and look for something that's vibrant, with an almost acoustic volume. That defines a good, resonant guitar, regardless of price. The features are generally a secondary concern, whereas the wood and resonance are pretty big.

For my part, that's the most important criterion.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, at this price range money isn't a concern, especially since we are only talking around $50.00 or so between the 350 and 4EX. Personally I thought the 4EX played a little nicer unplugged, however this is Guitar Center and we know most off the shelf guitars typically aren't setup all that great The 4EX also felt a bit heavier to me so maybe that's some of it as well?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 21

They both sound a tad different with the 350 being a front-routed guitar and the 4EX being rear-routed. The pickups on both are the same and aren't very good. I own 2 RG350's (one for 4 years now) and they're great instruments. They ARE the lower-end models so they need the love of a guitar tech on a somewhat regular basis, especially if your kid is new to the instrument. I'd switch out pickups on either ASAP.
My advice would be:
1. Take your kid to the store and act like you're buying it for yourself. Play both for him and asks which one he likes more. Buy the one he picks and surprise him by giving him the instrument.
2. Don't buy either guitar and convince him to buy a fixed bridge RG2EX1 or something similar. I would STRONGLY advise new students to avoid trems ENTIRELY in the beginning. Their unfamiliarity with trems could make them very frustrated with the instrument and make them want to give up.
Just mu $0.02.
Best of luck!

Tags
rg350dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode