RG350DX vs. RG370DX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Red face RG350DX vs. RG370DX

Hey everybody, I'm finally going to get a new guitar!!!! I know you all pretty much know everything about Ibanez guitars, I've been looking at the RG350DX and RG370DX(the white one)...So, my question is is one better then the other or is it just numbers and how can you make the bar stiff like Satch has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Re: RG350DX vs. RG370DX

only difference is one has a scratch plate i think :S
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 PM

the only difference is that the 350 has a scratch plate, which means it has more wood routed out on the front underneath the pick gaurd. i have both and you can tell the difference between the two, to me the 370 sounds better, it might just be me though.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlice View Post
Hey everybody, I'm finally going to get a new guitar!!!! I know you all pretty much know everything about Ibanez guitars, I've been looking at the RG350DX and RG370DX(the white one)...So, my question is is one better then the other or is it just numbers and how can you make the bar stiff like Satch has?

I have a 370DX as a "beater" guitar. It's actually quite nice, and it sounds pretty darned good. Plays really well, actually.

Yes, the only inherent difference is the 350 has a pickguard/scratchplate. They both have the same hardware, electronics, body materials, trem, etc.

As for making "the bar stiff like Satch has", read the manual that comes along with your guitar. There are also manuals/guides/tutorials widely available on this site (and others) that will educate you in just about every conceivable aspect of setting up and/or maintaining your guitar. That said, the bar on the Edge III trem (that's the unit that is included on both the 350 and the 370) can be tightened by tilting the trem (bar in) to the body, and adjusting the tension screw that holds the bar in place. The screw is located about halfway down the actual bar holder attachment. Dive your trem and take a look...it's pretty easy to see.

Good luck. While the 350 and 370 are not exactly "high end" guitars, they're pretty solid and play remarkably well. If you take care of them, they'll serve you well for a long time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM

i had a rg370dx and i bought a brand new 350ex body and transferred all the parts over to it, i notice it had less sustain straight away.

but both guitars sound great, even better if you put some dimarzios in there, ive got a steves special in bridge and air norton in neck,

as long as the guitar is set up properly, they are really great guitars for the price.
my only peeve about them is the frets, they feel a lot sharper than my RG4xx and RG5xx

but as i said a good setup, pickups and maybe a fret dress make it awesome
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...I think, I'm gonna get the 350DX because, the shop I'm going to can give me a deal on a case to go with it! I'll go browsing through the guides here on the site.

I'm new to the whole "floyd rose" style bridges, do you have any tips for a new commer to these?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 PM

There is really not that much of a difference , just make sure you do some research on the web and read up on how best to set them up.
when i first started i felt they were overrated ,traded guitars and now that i understand how they really work and can set them up very quickly and use them every day.
The thing that nobody told me when setting up was that if you get the tension right between the strings and the tremolo springs in the back it will stay very much in tune.
I guess the term floating tremolo never got through my skull until i was older.
i'm just slow that way , LOL
Good luck and play the guitar as log as you can at the store before you buy!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I have been playin' with the closest thing they have at the shop...it's pretty much the same minus the pups and the worlds stupidest body ever (an RG420EG). It's a great guitar but the web body design, just doesn't do it for me! Haha!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Do ya'll have any tips for a new commer to 'floyd rose' style bridges?

BTW, I'll post pics o' the guitar, after I get it and have time to know it and name it! (Because, I know you guys never get tired of looking at pic of the same model you have seen over and over, etc.)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Also, I've heard when you change out the strings, you should let them stretch out for like two or three days, before you clamp the locking nut and use the whammy.....When you by a new one, even though it comes set up, should I let the strings stretch before getting Vai-olent with the trem or can I play around with it right out of the box?

The trem is pretty much the whole reason I'm buying the guitar, I think it's and awesome guitar anyway. It plays great, feels good, sounds awesome, and is damn sexy! But, still the edge III, 24 frets, being an Ibanez lover(that doesn't own have one )and great price, are the main reasons I'm going for it. Most of the music I like to play, call for the 'rose'. How long does it take to get used to this type of trem?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 9

Clamp those nuts down as soon as you've stretched them in, (No lewd jokes please!!) or you'll find it will go out of tune unfeasibly well! They don't take too long to settle in. It shouldn't ake too long to get used to the trem. I took to them straight away and i've been using floating trems for ugh....22 years, lord I feel old now!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Hey, just wondering if you got the guitar yet? If you have... how are you liking it? I'm thinking about getting this one as well. I'm stuck between the dx and ex though. But I think I'll get the Ex... I just like the black/chrome scheme. It reminds me of the Jem7vdbk.... I'm going to be selling my other gear and just sticking with two guitars.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 PM

I think he got the 350dx instead, check out his other thread.

Tags
edge bridge , rg350dx , rg370

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode